Oil consumption?

RL911

:
19 CX-5 touring
2014 cx-9 gt, 10k miles.

Changed oil for the second time yesterday, went 7500 miles between the first change and burned 1.5 quarts using Mobil 1 5w-20. This seemed like a high burn rate as my Acura burns less than a half quart over 7500 miles, and it has 113k miles on it. In fact, this is the most oil I've ever seen burned in any car I have owned.

What's an acceptable oil consumption rate? We don't drive the car hard.

Thx

Took the car to the dealer today, they claim 1.5 quarts over 7500 is within the normal range. Whatever, if that's normal, these cars are not being manufactured properly. My sequoia with 90k miles lost maybe 1/2 quart over 7500 miles and my current did, 2005 Acura rl, with 113k on the clock, burns virtually nothing.

2014 cx-9 gt, 10k miles.

Changed oil for the second time yesterday, went 7500 miles between the first change and burned 1.5 quarts using Mobil 1 5w-20. This seemed like a high burn rate as my Acura burns less than a half quart over 7500 miles, and it has 113k miles on it. In fact, this is the most oil I've ever seen burned in any car I have owned.

What's an acceptable oil consumption rate? We don't drive the car hard.
Thx

I wonder if the reason the dealer that sold me the 2015 CX-9 GT won't put in full synthetic is it may have a tendency to slip out of the cracks more? The head mechanic told me that they couldn't use full synthetic because the engine is different than the CX-5 with the Skyactiv engine that we traded in. He said that our oil changes must be with a hybrid every 5,000 miles. I admit that I know very little about the different oils.

Disadvantages of Synthetic Oil

While there are many advantages to using synthetic oil, there are some drawbacks.

Does not work for every car – Not all cars can use synthetic oil. While it does not break down as quickly as conventional oil, it is thinner from the beginning, which is part of what helps it to move so easily in the engine.
This same quality, however, makes it mostly unsuitable for older cars. The older a car is, the more likely it is to have an engine leak or develop one in the near future. If you are using synthetic oil, the oil is more likely to begin leaking sooner because it is thinner, and has an easier time slipping between the cracks.

http://tiremania.net/change-engine-oil/synthetic-vs-conventional-motor-oil/

Last edited:
2010 CX-9 Sport FWD, 90,000 miles. Owned since new, and have faithfully changed the oil every 5000 miles with full synthetic.

Our CX-9 has always burned a small amount of oil. However over the prior 5000 miles it actually burned 2 1/2 quarts. No leaks at all. Not sure if I should have it looked at, trade it in, or just chalk it up this being 'normal'. Car is driven 50% suburban, 50% highway. Any ideas?

I wrote the post above 12 hours ago. Since then our CX-9 has been totaled in a bad accident. Someone ran a redlight and hit while my wife was driving. They were unconscious and were transported to the hospital by ambulance. My wife has a scratch on her leg.

Anyways, I guess I'm divested from this conversation now. Good luck!

It seems that every car I have (or had) that uses 5W-20 used some oil. Our CX-9 uses 1/2 to 1 quart between changes (7,500 miles). Currently has about 64k miles and since break-in have always used Mobil 1.

I wrote the post above 12 hours ago. Since then our CX-9 has been totaled in a bad accident. Someone ran a redlight and hit while my wife was driving. They were unconscious and were transported to the hospital by ambulance. My wife has a scratch on her leg.

Anyways, I guess I'm divested from this conversation now. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that. That is horrible. Glad your wife wasn't seriously hurt.

Thanks, she's pretty beat up but nothing too serious that requires an extended stay in the hospital.

Picking up the new car tomorrow, '16 CX-9 GT AWD. Our old one protected her in a major impact, plus required 0 repairs (besides tires and brakes) over 90,000 miles. Mazda definitely deserves our business again.

This Duratec 37 motor uses a LOT of oil (5w20). I've noticed it uses a LOT LESS when running 5w30. Mine has always gone through a couple quarters of 5w20 per 5k miles. 5w30 it uses less than a quart per 5k miles.

Back