Silver P5 getting a turbo

Dimentio

:
2002 Protege5
UPDATE 6/10 - We checked the cylinder walls. Everything looks ok. We didn't see any damage to the head or block. The spark plugs were black as can be so they were probably not sparking. I bought a head gasket set and other relevant gaskets, head bolts, timing belt, pulley, and engine/rod bearings and piston rings. I was gonna buy K1 rods but I read they don't work on stock pistons, and I cant afford to put more money into this thing. We havent actually checked the bearing clearances yet but I figured we would put new ones in sine we're doing the piston rings. The valve stems are blackened on the exhaust side with hard buildup around the surfaces. I bought new stem seals and we're gonna clean the stems with a drill and brillo pad. I should have an update in about 2 weeks.

UPDATE 7/3 - Did all but the 4th cylinder piston ring set and rod bearing set. I've decided not to touch the crank bearings. I don't feel up to the task, as they are harder to get to and I don't wanna remove the clutch or flywheel to do so (properly). Next week the new set of piston rings should be in so I can do the 4th cylinder (Broke a piston ring on my first try). After that, I can go ahead and begin reassembly.

UPDATE 7/14 - Motor is in, everything is hooked up. Transmission has a crack and wont drive. I'm gonna see about buying a used trans to swap in it asap. I relocated the blowoff valve closer to the throttle body. It works and sounds awesome. Almost there.

UPDATE 7/29 - Car is finally running! My diff gear fell out of alignment when I first reassembled the engine, and when I went to drive, the gear blew through the trans housing. With the help of Mazdas247 user socjdqcer (thanks a mil man), I was able to complete this project by him selling me his p5 transmission with a welded diff. It feels great to be back on the road again and I'm making boost after 4k rpm, going all the way to 10psi as I reach redline. The car is untuned, running a hood-exit exhaust. This thing spits fire on the highway and at redline. Gas mileage is piss poor. I traveled about 90 miles city/highway (mostly city) and I'm nearly down to a 1/4 tank. Small oil leak near the valve cover, I probably need to use more rtv near the cam gear areas. I still need to make the exhaust and use the o2 sensors.

Hi all. I've had a 2002 Protege5 since January and I gotta say its a beast! I have a G35x and I would rather be driving the P5 any day. I always come to this site for help and ideas. A while back I wanted to try to do a turbo setup on the P5. I've done a bit of work on the G35 (Welding exhaust, headers, intake, manifold) so I figured I could easily tackle a job like this in a 4 cylinder engine bay. Especially since there's good space in front of the engine. Now I know this goes against everything this forum says; I bought a Ebay turbo kit. I bought this one
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

There are a few things this particular kit does not have:

45 degree couplers
more than 2 90 degree couplers
2" to 2.5" coupler (Turbo outlet is 2" and intercooler pipe is 2.5")
additional clamps for said couplers
fuel pressure regulator
slim fans
oil pressure gauge
air fuel gauge

And other things. I'm gonna top this all off with a MP3 ecu because I'm going for low boost. The engine is nearly stock (2.0l)

A few things I do like about this kit. It comes with all the fittings you need to do an oil feed and return. It comes with a 4-way female 1/8" tee which also includes a 1/8" cap, 1/8" male to male, and the 1/8" oil feed line. When i was reading the turbo thread, it was said that you might need to drill into the upper oil pan to get the oil feed. I am glad this isn't the case. Another thing I like about this kit is that the prefabbed 90 IC pipes actually fit nicely from the engine bay into the bumper area, and right into the intercooler (you will need to make two 9" straight cuts from the 24" straight IC pipe to connect the IC to 90 degree coupler and to the 90 degree IC pipe. I had to remove the windshield reservoir. The car came with a cold air intake so the airbox was not in the way. There are 2 perfectly cut out holes on both sides of the engine bay to insert the intercooler pipes. I know the bumper will not fit back on unless I cut the foglight housing out. It is cone-shaped and sticks too far out (from the inside of the bumper) and will not clear the IC pipe when you make the 90 degree bend. I was thinking about trying to use 2 45 degree couplers right from the intercooler and another 45 to make the pipes rest as far back from the bumper as possible, so maybe then I can keep the foglights. For some, this might be hard to follow. I will be uploading pics of the install to help others. I haven't found a picture step-by-step DIY for a non-MSP turbo kit. I also found out (didnt know this before) that you can loosen the four 1/2" hex bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo (With the silver ring on it) to spin the oil feed and oil return around. When I first opened the turbo, the 4 bolt flange was pointing upwards, and the oil return line was also pointing upwards. At first I thought I was screwed because the OBX turbo manifold has the turbo flange facing down. But once I found out how to rotate it, it was cake.

One thing I am not entirely sure of is how to route the vacuum lines Whoever had this car before me deleted the EGR valve, vtcs and vics soldenoid and that big cylinder like thingy that you would have found on the passenger side of the engine bay near with windshield. There are unplugged connectors and there are screws plugging some vacuum ports on the intake manifold. I can take a pic to see if anyone can tell me where to run the boost line and such.

PICS
20160623_125520.jpg

20160630_105953.jpg

20160630_101804.jpg

20160630_083400.jpg

20160630_083359.jpg

20160630_105947.jpg

20160630_115225.jpg

20160630_083354.jpg

20160630_110717.jpg

20160630_141231.jpg

20160630_110720.jpg

20160630_121251.jpg

20160702_201215.jpg

20160702_201208.jpg

Transmission was about 100lbs or so. I could lift it with one hand. The motor is about 200 lbs I'd say. I was able to carry it out of the trunk of the car and place it on the ground (Struggled quite a bit) and put it back in the trunk. My motor stand wont fit the transmission bolts so I had to work over a piece of cardboard on the sidewalk. I changed 2 sets of piston rings so far and 2 sets of rod bearings. I broke one middle piston ring on my first try (FUUUUU) so now i gotta order a new set.

Last edited:
"... that big cylinder like thingy that you would have found on the passenger side of the engine bay near with windshield." - I think you are referencing the cruise control diaphragm. Not 100% sure if thats what you are referencing, but it seems like it.

I wouldn't use an MP3 ECU. The timing curve was not intended for boost, and you may have preignition.

Mazda already has turbo tuning figured out with the MSP, why reinvent the wheel? Grab an ECU and the necessary wiring, then plug it in.

When you say "and the necessary wiring" for the ECU, what do you mean? My understanding is that you can simply unplug the ecu and plug a new one in, right? I think I read that it's under the carpet on the passenger floor.

When you say "and the necessary wiring" for the ECU, what do you mean? My understanding is that you can simply unplug the ecu and plug a new one in, right? I think I read that it's under the carpet on the passenger floor.

He might mean a piggyback controller. The MSP ecu is plug and play, but the stock tune is pretty bad. At the very least an air/fuel controller like an SSAFC is highly recommended. You'll also want a wideband as well.

Ok so yesterday we finished the install. Took 34 hours (across 3 days). A few things for the folks to know about running a OBX turbo manifold:

Not enough clearance to run a 2.5" downpipe off the turbo going under the car. The thermostat is in the way and will not clear a downward angled pipe. I had to point the downpipe upwards towards the hood and cut the hood to make an exhaust stack. Also, the power steering pump is super close to the wastegate. I had to point the wastegate towards the engine in order to clear the up-pipe. I'm not sure why but my wastegate wont open. I might not have the vacuum lines hooked up right. I'm getting compressor surge when I'm building boost and I get the turkey when I let off the gas. My 5 bolt gasket, 4 bolt gasket, and wastegate gasket blew and I can barely build boost now. I was reading between 7-10 psi yesterday when I was on the highway pulling hard. I got fuel cut under heavy throttle near 5k rpm in 3rd and 4th gears. I think I popped the gaskets when that happened because I heard a POP. I'll take pics tomorrow. Also we were able to keep the foglights on the bumper. We had to cut the bumper at the back where it meets with the rest of the splash shield in order to fit the intercooler. We did not cut the bumper support at all. We did cut the frame a bit to run the cold pipe where the AC condenser is, and we cut a square where the windshield fluid used to be. It's a pain having these boost leaks. The dual 12" slim fans are hotwired to a switch in the cabin. I keep them on the entire time while driving. coolant temps always stay normal and it helps cool the engine bay down when I turn the car off. I have to use a 90 degree exhaust bend to point the exhaust pipe out and down the hood to stop water from entering when it's raining. I use blue painter tape to seal the hood when I park at night. It seems to do the job. I need to invest in a AWR oil pan because I rigged the oil return fitting really bad like and have an oil drip leak on the pan.

Well folks, i got a bad oil leak at the pan where the turbo drain line meets. I was driving in 3rd gear hard and after I let off the gas the car started spluttering and died. It cranks and splutters when I turn it on, it will die if i dont give it throttle. I tried disconnecting the cold pipe from the maf so the maf would get fresh atmospheric pressure but it didnt help. I dont know what to do does anyone have experience with this?

The MAF needs to be able to read all air flow passing into the engine. Any air passing in that doesn't go through the meter first will cause it to run erratically and lean.

Double check your piping, there is most likely a leak letting in unmetered air.

The maf is a foot away from the throttle body. I disconnected the piping from the turbo to the maf.

I also just put 93 gas in today instead of 87 regular. This literally happened 10 miles after i filled the tank

Quick update. I plugged a good reader I got a few days back (Launch CRP 123) and it managed to pull some interesting codes.

MAF low input
MAF high input
Cylinder 1 misfire

This leads me to think that the spark plug wire is bad and that the MAF is bad. Both easily replaceable and inexpensive. I will see about replacing these this week so I can hopefully get this thing up and running again. Walking SUCKS!

So I decided to try and fix this sucker. See first post for edit.

New parts list:

MAF sensor
Head gasket kit (Bolts, other gaskets, stem seals, cam seals)
Fuel rail adapter (For adjustable fpr)
255lph fuel pump
1-step colder iridium spark plugs
Engine and rod bearing set
Timing belt and pulleys
2.5" 5 bolt downpipe (Ebay honda b/d series) - Might fit the bend between the thermostat housing and turbo w/ o2 bung
Valve keeper tool
Turbo oil drain fitting (Non-weld type)

Alright folks. I picked up an engine hoist and engine stand today. Recently, I removed all the valve stems, cleaned them, and put new stem seals in place since the old ones were blown (Had rips in the inner rubbers). Also I used a wire cup brush to clean the intake manifold, valve cover, and coolant pipes. I'm thinking about painting the engine bay after I pull the engine and transmission together, since I have nearly everything out of the way. I painted the hood and valve cover flat camo green, I plan to paint the whole car this color. I seem to have a small issue getting the dump pipe hooked up. The wastegate points right to the valve cover. I used the ebay 90 deg. dump pipe but the angle is too wide. I will probably have to use the ebay elbow and dump tube kit to run the dump into the exhaust pipe. Pics of the progress will be up soon. Btw, the valve keeper tool I bought does not fit into the cylinders where the valve stems are in. I had to use the top half of the tool in conjunction with a 14mm socket and the magnetic tip (cut off) from a magnetic pickup tool in order to tap and remove the valve keepers. This actually worked very well, and the keeper tool did work to re-install the keepers. Anyone attempting to do this, I urge you to use caution when tapping the valve spring caps because I actually nicked the camshaft bearing with my keeper tool by mistake when I tapped it in with a hammer.

Also, my fuel pump retainer ring bolts are ALL rusted and I can't get them out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them?

Last edited:
Alright folks. I picked up an engine hoist and engine stand today. Recently, I removed all the valve stems, cleaned them, and put new stem seals in place since the old ones were blown (Had rips in the inner rubbers). Also I used a wire cup brush to clean the intake manifold, valve cover, and coolant pipes. I'm thinking about painting the engine bay after I pull the engine and transmission together, since I have nearly everything out of the way. I painted the hood and valve cover flat camo green, I plan to paint the whole car this color. I seem to have a small issue getting the dump pipe hooked up. The wastegate points right to the valve cover. I used the ebay 90 deg. dump pipe but the angle is too wide. I will probably have to use the ebay elbow and dump tube kit to run the dump into the exhaust pipe. Pics of the progress will be up soon. Btw, the valve keeper tool I bought does not fit into the cylinders where the valve stems are in. I had to use the top half of the tool in conjunction with a 14mm socket and the magnetic tip (cut off) from a magnetic pickup tool in order to tap and remove the valve keepers. This actually worked very well, and the keeper tool did work to re-install the keepers. Anyone attempting to do this, I urge you to use caution when tapping the valve spring caps because I actually nicked the camshaft bearing with my keeper tool by mistake when I tapped it in with a hammer.

Also, my fuel pump retainer ring bolts are ALL rusted and I can't get them out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them?

These are the ticket for rusty Phillips screws. Impact screwdriver, 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

search

A Grabit might work as well, or vice grips. If all else fails, you can chisel the heads off and hope to get the stubs out with a vice grips.

first post has pics added. Also tomorrow after work I can finally install the last piston rings so I can close the motor up

Motor is now installed. I replaced the wastegate spring for a 5psi one to be safe for now since it's running on a stock ecu. Fuel pressure regulator is installed. For good measure, I cut the nylon hose off of the fuel supply line and used the clip-on fitting for the hardline to make a safe adapter to the rubber fuel injection line that goes to the regulator. The fuel fitting is barbed once you slice off the factory nylon hose. Car is supposedly making 5-7 psi of boost. Fuel pressure is 5-6KPA at idle. (1 kpa = 14.something psi). No misfires, no vacuum leaks that I'm aware of, I still need to find out where you hook the wastegate vacuum line and the BOV vacuum lines to. The Honda downpipe I bought needs to be cut and welded to fit, unfortunately, so I'm back to running the hood exit exhaust. I bought a wastegate elbow so now it can point out the hood. I tightened up the shift linkage more than it was before I did this job, so now the stick is nice and crisp when shifting.

THE BAD!!!!!

Transmission has a crack about 6 inches long (curved) on the bottom area near the engine-trans connection. The good thing is that it's accessible so I can use quicksteel or something to seal it. I was mad as hell when I poured the trans fluid in and it flowed right out. I'm assuming, because of this, that the stick shift is extremely stiff now since there's no fluid?

Aside from this, everything looks good. Even the no-weld oil return bung for the oil pan is working nicely. New throwout bearings, new rod bearings (crank bearings I left alone), new piston rings, new cam seals (engine seals I left alone), new timing belt, pulley, and spring (Left the tensioner alone as the new one did not work right). My old tensioner spring was stretched out about 1/2" so I believe that was the culprit for this whole fiasco, although the new piston rings did play a reasonable part too. pics and a vid later on.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid192.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fz284%2FDIMENTIO1%2F20160715_165152.mp4&title=">
20160715_102445.jpg
[/URL]

[video]<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid192.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fz284%2FDIMENTIO1%2F20160715_103546.mp4&title=">[/video]

Last edited:
Back