CX-5 Serpentine Belt Replacement

Do you have PDF version of the 2013 shop manual? I have one, but it's difficult to include the two pages you're after here. If you want to PM me your email address, I will attempt to send them to you direct. BTW, how many miles on your 2013? Are you experiencing wear on the belt?

thanks i downloaded and found the pages . im at 63500 miles time for a full tune up tranny fluid ,diffs , spark plugs , brake pads also .

It's worth it to check the belt tensioner. It's hydraulic and at risk of leaking/failing. If there is any sign of oil on it, have it replaced before the 3/36k is up. I just had mine replaced at cost of labor.

A lot of things have changed when it comes to serpentine belts. Now days, unless if theres obvious damage, you only need to change it when the indicator on the tensioner says so. I've done this on 3 other cars.

GIEFjc7.png

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! There's a second drive belt for AC inside of serpentine belt with tensioner should get replaced at the same time.

Looks like that second belt drives the water pump and is just held on by fixed tension looking at removal/install instructions above.

One can also use that hexagon bolt to determine condition of belt as well. Unless my tensioner is leaking or otherwise not working I won't be replacing that piece on mine.

Last edited:
thanks i downloaded and found the pages . im at 63500 miles time for a full tune up tranny fluid ,diffs , spark plugs , brake pads also .

-I did plugs at 85K or so. Didn't need it. Waste of money.
-I did the diff at 28,800mi, and it died at 34K miles due to fording a creek. I have not done the replacement's change.
-I have not done transmission fluid
-I did brakes at 95K miles

I am just now considering the tensioner and belts. I have 102K miles on my CX5. It is doing great.

Looks like that second belt drives the water pump and is just held on by fixed tension looking at removal/install instructions above.
Yes. The second drive belt is for water pump and I wasn't thinking. That's why it's important to change it while replacing serpentine belt when you're there. And the belt is inside of serpentine belt you have to take serpentine belt out to replace it. For some reason people seem to only concentrate on replacing serpentine belt and ignore the second drive belt for water pump.

One can also use that hexagon bolt to determine condition of belt as well. Unless my tensioner is leaking or otherwise not working I won't be replacing that piece on mine.
I guess those hydraulic tensioners usually tend to leak early, so some just replace it along with the serpentine belt while they're there.

My tensioner leaked at 60k so all my belts were replaced at that time and they were honestly about half worn based on the indicator. I think these belts can safely make 100,000 miles if the tensioner can last!

I replaced the tensioner at 29,000 miles because it was leaking (was past the 3/36 warranty mark).I wouldn't change it unless it was leaking.The serpentine comes off easy and quickly if you get access.The only part "hydraulic " about the tensioner is it's fluid damped to prevent belt flapping.It's still a spring inside that provides belt tension.Nothing too exotic actually.Seems well built but pricey for what it is.I would only go OEM mazda for this part and purchase at best price probably online. Jmaz

Mine broke off yesterday. It was at a little over 50k mileage. Looking at the replies here, I guess mine ended a bit prematurely. Hopefully nothing else is serious. Fingers crossed and waiting for a call from Mazda Service.

Back