Gear - Manual- how to use

sangs

:
mazda
I see there is option "M" near "D" in gear box :) ( CX5 Touring )I think "M" stands for manual. I have always used automatic drive option.Could you please tell me how to use "M" option ? is there any advantage of using "M" ? (headbang)

When in M, you choose which gear, moving the lever, and upshifting and downshifting just like a manual transmission. On the dash you will see what gear you are in M1-M6.

I'd bet that your owners manual can tell you how it works. All kinds of good info in there. Give it a read some time. :)

:) I am sorry for asking silly questions. I am new to Mazda . So learning new things
I have checked owners manual http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa2/pdf/smartguides/2016_Mazda_CX5_Smart_Start_Guide.pdf
But didn't get proper answer :(

The smart start guide is NOT the same as the owners manual. Not by a long shot. Look for the multi-hundred page book that should have come with your car. If for some reason you didn't get it, go back to the dealer and make them give you one.

I see there is option "M" near "D" in gear box :) ( CX5 Touring )I think "M" stands for manual. I have always used automatic drive option.Could you please tell me how to use "M" option ? is there any advantage of using "M" ? (headbang)

How to use the 'M' option?

You may use the (M)anual option anytime. Say when you are driving in auto gear ('D') and decide to switch to manual, just push the stick to M (while on the move is fine). Once your gear is in M mode, you should see the gear number on your dashboard/screen. Thereafter, depending on which gear you intend to shift it to manually, you just need to push it up/down (to increase or lower the gear). You may now continue to operate your car in manual mode. You may also start off having the stick in M, and you'll see "1" on the dashboard and the number increases as you drive on manually.

Say if you change your mind to go back to auto mode, just simply push the stick back to D, and con't to drive on (hand off that stick! hahahaha.....). YOU DO NOT NEED TO STOP THE CAR TO SHIFT BETWEEN D AND M AND VICE VERSA.

Is there any advantage of using M?

Well, quite subjective. It is like you're asking if driving a manual gear car has any advantage or over an auto gear transmission one. To me, in this instance, I do not feel any significant advantage. Rather, I find driving the CX-5 in auto mode much more convenient and not very much slower as compared to having it in manual. However, if this M mode comes in paddle shifters, then yes. You will probably feel the gear shifts faster and responds quicker to the paddle shift movements from your fingers.

To each his/her own:)

I started getting used to the manual mode, as well as its slight delay. I found myself using it more often, but mostly when I see a hill/ramp up ahead, or when I want the the car to keep staying in low gear so that I can accelerate quickly when merging into traffic (e.g. waiting for a slow car to pass to merge into the gap behind it). It will automatically down-shift for you when slowing down, a little less work. Alternatively, if I expect some maneuvering, I'd just flip it into Sport mode.

As many have mentioned in this forum, if you want it to shift-down in auto mode, just jab the gas pedal quickly (you might have to let go off it a bit and jab back in quickly).

Shifting manually is also addicting once you get used to it (judging the speed, listening to the rev, releasing the gas slightly/briefly, ...). I'm just glad that the CX-5 is really good in automatic mode, but also allows a control-freak like me to take over.

I was wondering, how is the sport mode in the '16 models? I have the '15 which lacks one (but I find the manual mode more than adequate)

Also, what many people can't seem to figure out: the "kickdown switch"
If you never floored your accelerator you won't know of its existence. It's an actual switch located under your accelerator pedal. You can test it out with the car off if you're afraid: when you push the accelerator down mildly all the way, you think you've floored it, but if you push harder, you activate the "kickdown switch".

What it does is when the car is moving, it will downshift as much as possible and unleash full power. It will even downshift when you're in manual mode, which is probably faster than downshifting 1-3 gears manually.
Actually, if I floor it without activating the switch, the car might not even downshift depending on the situation, but when you press the switch, you can be sure the car will make every effort to unleash as much power as it can.
And yes, it requires getting used to the lag of the manual mode - at first I constantly hit the revlimiter while using manual mode, because I shifted too late. Now I subconsciously shift a bit early so it times perfectly to before max RPM.

For those accusing me of driving like a maniac - well, I've never driven an SUV/CUV/crossover/name it whatever that was so much fun. It almost demands being driven hard.

I was wondering, how is the sport mode in the '16 models? I have the '15 which lacks one (but I find the manual mode more than adequate)

You will have to try it out yourself, it's hard to describe. My daughter and I both felt being pushed harder to our seats when accelerating with it, the engine doesn't rev loudly and I only need to press on the gas pedal slightly, so you'll be at 80mph with the other cars far behind before you know it. Manual mode is nice, but because of the delay and hard to keep the engine at optimum rpm, sport mode is still way more aggressive.

Also, what many people can't seem to figure out: the "kickdown switch"
If you never floored your accelerator you won't know of its existence. It's an actual switch located under your accelerator pedal. You can test it out with the car off if you're afraid: when you push the accelerator down mildly all the way, you think you've floored it, but if you push harder, you activate the "kickdown switch".

What it does is when the car is moving, it will downshift as much as possible and unleash full power. It will even downshift when you're in manual mode, which is probably faster than downshifting 1-3 gears manually.
Actually, if I floor it without activating the switch, the car might not even downshift depending on the situation, but when you press the switch, you can be sure the car will make every effort to unleash as much power as it can.

IIRC, someone on this forum mentioned that the newer model doesn't actually have a switch, you can still feel it clicks but it doens't have any wiring to it. Rather, it's how far and how quickly you push the pedal that communicate your intention to the car. There's a video from Mazda demonstrating this switch on 2014 model, but I can't find much information on Google to confirm otherwise.

And yes, it requires getting used to the lag of the manual mode - at first I constantly hit the revlimiter while using manual mode, because I shifted too late. Now I subconsciously shift a bit early so it times perfectly to before max RPM.

Yeah, at first I have to watch the RPM constantly, but now rely mostly on the engine sound. I know people have complained about engine noise getting into the car, but now I'm just glad that I can still hear the engine noise most of the time.

For those accusing me of driving like a maniac - well, I've never driven an SUV/CUV/crossover/name it whatever that was so much fun. It almost demands being driven hard.

Another ass**** driver here :) Can't blame me, the CX-5's handling just asks for it. Steering is precise, power is abundant, it feels so confident and easy to even get into a small gap on the next lane. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm driving a $30K car that I love to keep for a long time, that I still have a perfectly clean record with my insurance and I should keep it that way ... :-D

Back