Parking lot - accident. Need help

Hit a huge snag. The darn headlights are adaptive. Once I switch the new one in i need to scan it/ program it? Spoke to a few auto body and none of them carry the required stuff for 2016 model yet. Otherwise the headlight won't turn with steering and may not work. No one knows. Damn.

Hit a huge snag. The darn headlights are adaptive. Once I switch the new one in i need to scan it/ program it? Spoke to a few auto body and none of them carry the required stuff for 2016 model yet. Otherwise the headlight won't turn with steering and may not work. No one knows. Damn.
I assume your replacement LED headlight unit is brand new from a Mazda dealer? I don't think the AFS system needs to know the "ID" from each LED headlight. What makes you think the reprogramming is required? And how do you know it requires additional "stuff"?

It's OEM. After putting it in, the adaptive part not work. Checked part #, re-confirmed with dealer: all correct. That's when dealer said scanning required for the new part to make it work. Something to do with angle to turn. Checked forums. Very common for Audi, BMW l, etc etc. called my trusted auto body/collision repair shop. They also said could be.

Not 1 dealer would do it if parts not from them. I do have a way out but can't publish it here. Cars still under warranty so .......

Last edited:
By stuff I mean a hardware unit having the required programs to do this for cx5 2016 model.

Were you able to confirm that radar unit won't need calibration as well?
Just FYI. According to CX-5 Service Manual, the laser sensor mounted on the windshield should be calibrated after windshield replacement. But the shop didn't do it, and I have no way to tell if it needs it as there's no error message.

Were you able to confirm that radar unit won't need calibration as well?

Not required. Here's why. The bumper came off with the grill. The emblem is just part of the grill. The actual sensor is attached to the body. As long as the sensor's not moved, etc. everything is fine. Grill was removed from the bumper, put into the new bumper and the new bumper went right in.

Just FYI. According to CX-5 Service Manual, the laser sensor mounted on the windshield should be calibrated after windshield replacement. But the shop didn't do it, and I have no way to tell if it needs it as there's no error message.

The body shop where I am doing my stuff knows it. A quick way to test this is you'll find the dashboard message popping up randomly to clean/defog the windshield. If happens and with high frequency, comes and disappears then it requires re-calibration.

Did you change the headlights too? Are they 2016 headlights? Are you getting the headlight error light in the dash?

I would try unplugging the battery for a few minutes, plug in the headlights, then reattach the battery.

... I would try unplugging the battery for a few minutes, plug in the headlights, then reattach the battery.
That's the trick of disconnecting airbags! :)

But I was wondering may be it's too late to do it as the AFS module may have already memorized the error. But worth a try nevertheless.

All times the battery was completely disconnected when doing the headlight swap. Yes - its 2016 headlight, matched to VIN. The issue is everything is coming up fine but the headlight's not turning. When you switch on the car, the headlights do a little dance after few seconds. That's not happening for the headlight I swapped. No error codes in dash or OBC scanner. Plugged in the old one - it works. The body shop told me that this light will require to be scanned by an instrument and registered into the computer. Since the car's so new, their hardware vendor doesn't yet have the program to do it. A generic option is available but did not work. Vendor explained - this particular headlight has rate of change present. In other words, at low speed the headlight turns slowly or none at all. At higher speed it turns rapidly, etc., etc. Also - in dash there's a default on how the headlight should behave, i.e. medium, medium-high, etc. and that setting needs to be configured. Each headlight supposedly has an unique reference and effectively the old settings doesn't seem to be working.

That's the trick of disconnecting airbags! :)

But I was wondering may be it's too late to do it as the AFS module may have already memorized the error. But worth a try nevertheless.

It may have to do with the AFS module needing to calibrate itself (little dance it does upon startup). Consider on the 2016's if you adjust the LED headlights to aim them higher you have to do it in ACC mode otherwise it will undue your adjustments when you turn on the engine.

So if the battery disconnect thing doesn't work I would try connecting the Lights while in ACC mode. Its almost like a learning mode for the headlights while you're making adjustments. If that doesn't work then I'm out of suggestions for now.

OP- Check for an off/on option in the infotainment system for AFS.

Last edited:
It may have to do with the AFS module needing to calibrate itself (little dance it does upon startup). Consider on the 2016's if you adjust the LED headlights to aim them higher you have to do it in ACC mode otherwise it will undue your adjustments when you turn on the engine.

So if the battery disconnect thing doesn't work I would try connecting the Lights while in ACC mode. Its almost like a learning mode for the headlights while you're making adjustments. If that doesn't work then I'm out of suggestions for now.

OP- Check for an off/on option in the infotainment system for AFS.

Excellent suggestions - will try tomorrow at around noon. Revert back by Thursday.

I have run into some complications with the suggestion. Where;s the driver for these LEDs? Does anyone know? Is it within the housing or is it located somewhere else feeding the headlights? The broken one, we ripped it apart but can't seem to find the driver.

Hard to navigate but here is a starting point for the '16 wiring harness. Not on needed point of reference but if you click around you may hit what you need.

Back