Switching 19" wheels/tires for 17" on new 2016.5 GT @Dealer - Any mechanical issues?

I have switched from 17 to 19 and back (19 summer wheels and tires and 17 winter wheels and tires) Resetting the TSP consists of pushing the button on the dashboard.

I am in Seattle / Shoreline and just purchased a 2016.5 Touring with the exact wheels (17") and tires that you are negotiating to buy with the dealer. If you would like to swap the wheels and tires I would pay to have the Mazda dealer do the swap and reset the TPS at my expense plus give you a few bucks. My CX-5 is so new the nubs on the tires are still in tact. I have driven less that 300 miles. Let me know if you are interested. I just bought my CX-5 at Mazda of Everett, got a better deal than anywhere else.

I may be interested in this, BlackBear depending on how my negs. go. How would a swap like this impact the wheel/tire warranty? I am buying my car within the next few days.

I may be interested in this, BlackBear depending on how my negs. go. How would a swap like this impact the wheel/tire warranty? I am buying my car within the next few days.

When I asked about the tire warranty at the dealer, I was told that the tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer, not Mazda.

I am in Seattle / Shoreline and just purchased a 2016.5 Touring with the exact wheels (17") and tires that you are negotiating to buy with the dealer. If you would like to swap the wheels and tires I would pay to have the Mazda dealer do the swap and reset the TPS at my expense plus give you a few bucks. My CX-5 is so new the nubs on the tires are still in tact. I have driven less that 300 miles. Let me know if you are interested. I just bought my CX-5 at Mazda of Everett, got a better deal than anywhere else.

Hi Blackbear, I got a great price on the GT with the 17"'s. I'm in Tacoma so in the end it was worth it. Thx for your offer I seriously considered it. Good Luck!

I was considering swapping 19s for 17s, just because of tyre price here in Australia. I have only few choices for 19s and the less expensive cheap brand is $210, whilst premium brand like KUMHO or HANKOOK is $260+ per tyre. Same premium tyres and bridgestone too for 17s are like $115 per tyre.

I live near Vancouver WA, and have 19" GT wheels and tires from a 2018 with 150 miles on them, basically new tire/wheel assemblies ready to put on. I don't think I want a direct swap for 17", but I will be selling the 19 inchers with tires, TPMS and such in the next few weeks, before I need to take of the winter tires.

I'm looking for some used 18" wheels that will work for my 3 season driving. I have some 17" Mazda 3 wheels with my winters on right now.

Also, some CX-3's had 18's on some trim levels.

That's correct. I just double-checked on their website. The CX-3 comes with 18x7.0 wheels in Touring and Grand Touring trim. Not a bad option if you want to stay with 225 width tires.

If you can find Gen2 Mazdaspeed3 wheels though, those would be a little wider at 18x7.5.

Last edited:
Mazda doesn't sell 18's for CX3 in australia. Only 16s.

So let me understand, all wheels on mazdas, whether it is 17, 18 or 19 is 7" in width and 50 in offset ?

Some wheels are wider. I found 18x7 wheels from 2017 and 2018 Mazda 3 and put General Altimax rt43 on them in size 225/60R18 and I am very happy. I think it's perfect how they should have came stock. Dunno if General tires are sold down under. They are originally a US brand now owned by Continental.

Oh geez, I still have stock 2017 19" tires in the garage, 63 miles on them after taking them off last June. Gotta make a thread in the for sale section.....

Some wheels are wider. I found 18x7 wheels from 2017 and 2018 Mazda 3 and put General Altimax rt43 on them in size 225/60R18 and I am very happy. I think it's perfect how they should have came stock. Dunno if General tires are sold down under. They are originally a US brand now owned by Continental.

Did you enjoy driving on your GT with 17s?

The OEM 17 tires wear out too fast. If you are somewhere where you can buy the General Altimax rt43 I suspect they would be just fine. I hope that helps.

I can't get this tyre here. The cheapest I can get thru the wholesale trade account is $240 per tyre.

Back