Switching 19" wheels/tires for 17" on new 2016.5 GT @Dealer - Any mechanical issues?

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
Switching 19" wheels/tires for 17" on new 2016.5 GT @Dealer - Any mechanical issues?

Hi,

I am buying a new 2016.5 GT and negotiating with dealers on switching out the 19"'s for 17"'s. One dealer said the following "... the 19" wheels come standard on the GT, as you noted. To change them out might affect the TPS system and the handling of your vehicle."

Is this true? WHat is TPS? Is the Touring different than the GT as it relates to this type of wheel change?

Any info you can share is most helpful.

thX!

No, no issues at all as long as you switch to an OEM 17" Sport or Touring wheels with 225/65R17 100H tires.

It's TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Changing to OEM 17" wheels and tires won't affect anything to TPMS as the 225/65R17 tire's diameter is very close 225/55R19 Tire. Even the speedometer and odometer won't get affected either.

But if I were you I wouldn't change them. 19" wheels are a lot more expensive and unique than generic looking 17" wheels, IMHO. You can sell 19" wheels alone for at least $1,000 and use that money to get checper 17" wheels and tires if you're not afraid of hassles.

No, no issues at all as long as you switch to an OEM 17" Sport or Touring wheels with 225/65R17 100H tires.

It's TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Changing to OEM 17" wheels and tires won't affect anything to TPMS as the 225/65R17 tire's diameter is very close 225/55R19 Tire. Even the speedometer and odometer won't get affected either.

But if I were you I wouldn't change them. 19" wheels are a lot more expensive and unique than generic looking 17" wheels, IMHO. You can sell 19" wheels alone for at least $1,000 and use that money to get checper 17" wheels and tires if you're not afraid of hassles.

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm just an average car consumer. I assume the dealer will use the OEM 17's from a touring/sport that is my expectation. I'll be sure to check that. Yes to the 19's, but I prefer more rubber than rim & don't want the future cost of the 19's to replace. Eventually I will upgrade the 17"tire, hoping to gain an inch or so as I do light off road, hiking/skiing etc so looking to eek out as much carriage height as I can and not impact the TPMS et al, mpgs etc.

Selling them would be a hassle for me. However, I assume I can push on MSRP given the wheel cost difference. If the dealer won't go for that I may change my mind and keep the 19's to sell, but that would be a last resort.

Thanks so much for your input!

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm just an average car consumer. I assume the dealer will use the OEM 17's from a touring/sport that is my expectation. I'll be sure to check that. Yes to the 19's, but I prefer more rubber than rim & don't want the future cost of the 19's to replace. Eventually I will upgrade the 17"tire, hoping to gain an inch or so as I do light off road, hiking/skiing etc so looking to eek out as much carriage height as I can and not impact the TPMS et al, mpgs etc.

Selling them would be a hassle for me. However, I assume I can push on MSRP given the wheel cost difference. If the dealer won't go for that I may change my mind and keep the 19's to sell, but that would be a last resort.

No matter what diameter wheel you run you have to adjust tire size to maintain the same overall diameter or else you throw off speedometer, odometer and TPMS. So forget about gaining ground clearance later by going to a larger wheel and tire package. And also forget about the dealer crediting you for the hassle of downgrading your car from 19s to 17s; that's not gonna happen. IMO, you may need to rethink all of this.

No matter what diameter wheel you run you have to adjust tire size to maintain the same overall diameter or else you throw off speedometer, odometer and TPMS. So forget about gaining ground clearance later by going to a larger wheel and tire package. And also forget about the dealer crediting you for the hassle of downgrading your car from 19s to 17s; that's not gonna happen. IMO, you may need to rethink all of this.

Not sure if you misunderstood me or the other way around. When I have the OEM 17 wheel & tire, (regarless of how I obtain them) I will keep the 17 wheel and upgrade the 17 tire only - there are far better all season tires than the OEM's.

Appreciate your opinions

Not sure if you misunderstood me or the other way around. When I have the OEM 17 wheel & tire, (regarless of how I obtain them) I will keep the 17 wheel and upgrade the 17 tire only - there are far better all season tires than the OEM's.

Appreciate your opinions
So how will you increase carriage height and gain an inch or so (of ride height?) by upgrading the 17" rubber? You can see why I'm confused!

So how will you increase carriage height and gain an inch or so (of ride height?) by upgrading the 17" rubber? You can see why I'm confused!

You're kind to hang in there with me, the ignorance here is mine not yours. I assume I can get a tire with a higher tread wall, I do not know if that means changing the width - again bare with me here. Are you suggesting that if I get a tire 'larger' than the OEM 225/65 then that will affect the TMPS et al? Feel free to point me to a sight that will educate me on this.

I can understand more rubber than rim part. But 225/55R19 tires are not much expensive than 225/65R17 tires. You'd pay $30 ~ $50 more for each tire, but for 60,000 ~ 80,000 miles of the usage. Cost and good tires are not my concerns on 19" tire, lack of selections, may be.

paris1 said it correctly, use bigger 17" tires to increase ground clearance will throw off your speedometer and odometer readings. Not recommended.

You can always try to get some credit for price differences between 17" and 19" wheels if your dealer is willing to swap, but it'd be difficult as paris1 said.

Do get a GT with Tech, that is the best combination for a CX-5 with LED lightings and AFS. Don't settle for a Touring just because your preference of 17" wheels as wheels are easy to change afterwards but LED lights with AFS are not.

I can understand more rubber than rim part. But 225/55R19 tires are not much expensive than 225/65R17 tires. You'd pay $30 ~ $50 more for each tire, but for 60,000 ~ 80,000 miles of the usage. Cost and good tires are not my concerns on 19" tire, lack of selections, may be.

paris1 said it correctly, use bigger 17" tires to increase ground clearance will throw off your speedometer and odometer readings. Not recommended.

You can always try to get some credit for price differences between 17" and 19" wheels if your dealer is willing to swap, but it'd be difficult as paris1 said.

Do get a GT with Tech, that is the best combination for a CX-5 with LED lightings and AFS. Don't settle for a Touring just because your preference of 17" wheels as wheels are easy to change afterwards but LED lights with AFS are not.

Thanks so much, I didn't understand the speed/odometer issue. No, I wouldn't want that. I do want more rubber than rim. 75% of my usual driving is city/hiway. My understanding from this site and others, is there is roughly 1/4 inch difference between the 17" wheel/tire & the 19" wheel/tire. Given I want more rubber am I correct in assuming the 17"'s have more rubber. I am also getting an AWD & I have heard from here and generally, that means greater tire ware vs. FWD. I've only had FWD.

I may be thinking about this all wrong, but my goal is to have wheels/tires with function over form - meaning I don't care about the "looks".

Thanks All, this site is awesome for educating non-car wonks like me!!

Thanks so much, I didn't understand the speed/odometer issue. No, I wouldn't want that. I do want more rubber than rim. 75% of my usual driving is city/hiway. My understanding from this site and others, is there is roughly 1/4 inch difference between the 17" wheel/tire & the 19" wheel/tire. Given I want more rubber am I correct in assuming the 17"'s have more rubber. I am also getting an AWD & I have heard from here and generally, that means greater tire ware vs. FWD. I've only had FWD.

I may be thinking about this all wrong, but my goal is to have wheels/tires with function over form - meaning I don't care about the "looks".

Thanks All, this site is awesome for educating non-car wonks like me!!
Comparing these two OEM tires on CX-5, the difference on overall diameter is 0.4". You get more rubber on 17" tire, but less on wheel. The revolutions per mile is within 9 revolutions. Once you're getting bigger 17" tire with larger overall diameter to increase ground clearance, the revolutions per mile will be less, and hence throw off the speedometer and odometer.

Tire

Size

UTQG

Maximum
Load
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Overall
Diameter

Revolutions
Per Mile

Price*
Toyo A23225/55R19
99V
300 A A1,709 lbs.51 psi9.8/32"28 lbs.28.9"720$268.86
- TR
Yokohama Geolandar
G91A
225/65R17
100H
280 B A1,764 lbs.44 psi10/32"27 lbs.28.5"729$199.34
- TR

Taller tires will also in effect put you in a higher gear as each tire revolution will take the car further with the taller tire vs stock. TPMS can be reset with a dash button and will work fine with taller tires as it compares the tire rpms to each other to see if one is turning faster and thus low on pressure. You will loose a slight amount of torque in low gear and high gear. The transmission will just shift later in terms of car speed in the other gears so mid gears will have little/no torque change, it will just shift at a higher speed with the same throttle position. You can compare the revolutions per mile of the size you are considering compared to stock to calculate the % of the effect and the % of speedometer error you will be introducing. Tire Rack has rev. per mile under specifications. At some point you will get interference with the wheel well unless you "lift" it. AWD requires you to have the same height tire on all wheels or it think there is slippage and will engage and cause wear on tires, AWD system, suspension and reduce milage so think about the stock spare and figure how you are going to get a taller tire the same height if you have to use it...

IMHO, LED is just a fad and AFS is *maybe* worth it only if you live/drive frequently in rural areas, with curvy roads.
Save your money and get the Touring with the wheels you want instead of this hassle of replacing wheels, which the dealers are not going to agree too, unless you forgo any credit for the old wheels.
I too think that the proper amount of rubber is with the 17" for this type of vehicle, though the 19"s will get you better cornering and handling.

It's seems the OP isn't understanding aspect ratio of tires and how they effect overall diameter. A simple breakdown of tire numbers and what they mean is needed. Take 225/55R19, 225 is the width of the tread in millimeters. The next number is 55 which is the aspect ratio as it relates to the sidewall of the tire, or the height of the tire from rim to the thread. It is a percentage of the first number often referred to as series. So a 55 series tire width a tread width of 225mm will have sidewalk height of 123.75mm. Since it's a ratio to the first number it changes as width of tire changes. The last number is the rim size in inches, 19" rims. The important thing to maintain is the overall outside diameter of the tires. If you think of two circles, one inside of the other, the larger outside circle must remain the same size but the inside circle can change, that's your rim size, within reason. So a 225/55R19 and 225/65R17 have the same tread width but because the 17 rim requires more side wall the aspect ratio is upped to 65% in order to compensate for the smaller rim size, the overall diameter of both those tires are virtually the same, the only thing that changes is the smaller rim size of the 17". You can't just put on say a 225/75R17 because the overall diameter will be larger and throw off your speedometer. To find out more information and by how much different size tires change your speedo just google "tire size calculator " many good ones available.

Taller tires will also in effect put you in a higher gear as each tire revolution will take the car further with the taller tire vs stock. TPMS can be reset with a dash button and will work fine with taller tires as it compares the tire rpms to each other to see if one is turning faster and thus low on pressure. You will loose a slight amount of torque in low gear and high gear. The transmission will just shift later in terms of car speed in the other gears so mid gears will have little/no torque change, it will just shift at a higher speed with the same throttle position. You can compare the revolutions per mile of the size you are considering compared to stock to calculate the % of the effect and the % of speedometer error you will be introducing. Tire Rack has rev. per mile under specifications. At some point you will get interference with the wheel well unless you "lift" it. AWD requires you to have the same height tire on all wheels or it think there is slippage and will engage and cause wear on tires, AWD system, suspension and reduce milage so think about the stock spare and figure how you are going to get a taller tire the same height if you have to use it...

Wow! That seriously hurt my brain, but your precise & succinct explanation leaves me saying, ok, I get it. I would not have thought of the spare so double thanks for mentioning that. I have a lot to mull over around my decision, consider me schooled.

Comparing these two OEM tires on CX-5, the difference on overall diameter is 0.4". You get more rubber on 17" tire, but less on wheel. The revolutions per mile is within 9 revolutions. Once you're getting bigger 17" tire with larger overall diameter to increase ground clearance, the revolutions per mile will be less, and hence throw off the speedometer and odometer.

Tire

Size

UTQG

Maximum
Load
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Overall
Diameter

Revolutions
Per Mile

Price*
Toyo A23225/55R19
99V
300 A A1,709 lbs.51 psi9.8/32"28 lbs.28.9"720$268.86
- TR
Yokohama Geolandar
G91A
225/65R17
100H
280 B A1,764 lbs.44 psi10/32"27 lbs.28.5"729$199.34
- TR

Got it! Thanks for including the tire chart!!!

It's seems the OP isn't understanding aspect ratio of tires and how they effect overall diameter. A simple breakdown of tire numbers and what they mean is needed. Take 225/55R19, 225 is the width of the tread in millimeters. The next number is 55 which is the aspect ratio as it relates to the sidewall of the tire, or the height of the tire from rim to the thread. It is a percentage of the first number often referred to as series. So a 55 series tire width a tread width of 225mm will have sidewalk height of 123.75mm. Since it's a ratio to the first number it changes as width of tire changes. The last number is the rim size in inches, 19" rims. The important thing to maintain is the overall outside diameter of the tires. If you think of two circles, one inside of the other, the larger outside circle must remain the same size but the inside circle can change, that's your rim size, within reason. So a 225/55R19 and 225/65R17 have the same tread width but because the 17 rim requires more side wall the aspect ratio is upped to 65% in order to compensate for the smaller rim size, the overall diameter of both those tires are virtually the same, the only thing that changes is the smaller rim size of the 17". You can't just put on say a 225/75R17 because the overall diameter will be larger and throw off your speedometer. To find out more information and by how much different size tires change your speedo just google "tire size calculator " many good ones available.

Thanks for the "tire size calculator" search tip!

As long as you stay within the 720-729 revs per mile of the OEM tires you will be fine. My 2015 Grand Touring had about $200 miles on it. I brought 17 OEMS from ebay and they were installed before I left the lot. The dealer actually called tirerack to figure out whether there would be any issues or not! if you can believe that! LoL

What I've never found out is Is the computer in the CX-5 able to be reprogrammed for different diameter tires?

Switching 19" wheels/ tires for 17" touring wheels and tires

Hi,

I am buying a new 2016.5 GT and negotiating with dealers on switching out the 19"'s for 17"'s. One dealer said the following "... the 19" wheels come standard on the GT, as you noted. To change them out might affect the TPS system and the handling of your vehicle."

Is this true? WHat is TPS? Is the Touring different than the GT as it relates to this type of wheel change?

Any info you can share is most helpful.

thX!

I am in Seattle / Shoreline and just purchased a 2016.5 Touring with the exact wheels (17") and tires that you are negotiating to buy with the dealer. If you would like to swap the wheels and tires I would pay to have the Mazda dealer do the swap and reset the TPS at my expense plus give you a few bucks. My CX-5 is so new the nubs on the tires are still in tact. I have driven less that 300 miles. Let me know if you are interested. I just bought my CX-5 at Mazda of Everett, got a better deal than anywhere else.

I am in Seattle / Shoreline and just purchased a 2016.5 Touring with the exact wheels (17") and tires that you are negotiating to buy with the dealer. If you would like to swap the wheels and tires I would pay to have the Mazda dealer do the swap and reset the TPS at my expense plus give you a few bucks. My CX-5 is so new the nubs on the tires are still in tact. I have driven less that 300 miles. Let me know if you are interested. I just bought my CX-5 at Mazda of Everett, got a better deal than anywhere else.

MEB - this would be a good deal for you!

Back