225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I'm looking to change the tires on our CX5, from looking at tire specifications available over the pond here, non of the 225 tires are rated particularly well on fuel economy. Neither are the 235/50s.
So that got me looking at the 235/55/19s. Now those tires are a lot better, so I think I'll be going for a set of those.

What I'm wondering is, from you guys running 235/55s or even the 235/50s what tire pressure are you using? Have you found a pressure that works best, or are you using the listed pressure for the standard 225/55s

Thank you kindly in advance for the replies.

Cheers
Darren

I'm looking to change the tires on our CX5, from looking at tire specifications available over the pond here, non of the 225 tires are rated particularly well on fuel economy. Neither are the 235/50s.
So that got me looking at the 235/55/19s. Now those tires are a lot better, so I think I'll be going for a set of those.

What I'm wondering is, from you guys running 235/55s or even the 235/50s what tire pressure are you using? Have you found a pressure that works best, or are you using the listed pressure for the standard 225/55s

Thank you kindly in advance for the replies.

Cheers
Darren
We don't have fuel economy rating for tires here, nor any conducted fuel economy test on tires by a third party. IMO there's a reason for lack of such information here as fuel economy rating on tires would involve too many variables and the difference on fuel economy among tires should be very minimum. A little higher tire pressure should easily offset the gain on tires with better fuel economy rating. I wouldn't be worried too much on this rating even if there's one available when I choose my replacement tires.

I'd always stick with OE size, 225/55R19, as I like to have more accurate speedometer and odometer readings. If you really want to choose tires with better fuel economy rating with different size, choose 235/55R19 (4"~5" bigger than OE on total diameter) over 235/50R19 (4"~5" smaller than OE) as bigger tire should have a little better fuel economy.

Here in the US we have one recommended tire pressure for all conditions whereas in other countries there're several recommended tire pressures for different vehicle speed and different load. If you decided to use different size of tires, you can start with recommended tire pressure, then adjust it depending on the performance and ride comfort, as well as the long-term wear pattern.

The tires that came on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT, I'm told, are at 4/32. I drove off the lot on 10/31/16. The odometer recently hit 19k. These are the Toyo A23 I believe. I prefer Discount Tire based on location to my home and they always give me the best price (been doing business with them about three decades). I pinged Mazda out of curiosity about the warranty of the A23s and they had me ping Toyo. Toyo called Discount to confirm the 4/32 and the mileage. Discount now says that Toyo is offering me 35% off and I can use that on whatever I want.

Discount is recommending the Yokohama YK740 GTX.

Toyo is recommending the Toyo Open Country QT.

And I've been curious about the Michelin LTX. I tend to lean toward this brand but have also used Yokohama.

All come in 225/55R19 99V.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The tires that came on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT, I'm told, are at 4/32. I drove off the lot on 10/31/16. The odometer recently hit 19k. These are the Toyo A23 I believe. I prefer Discount Tire based on location to my home and they always give me the best price (been doing business with them about three decades). I pinged Mazda out of curiosity about the warranty of the A23s and they had me ping Toyo. Toyo called Discount to confirm the 4/32 and the mileage. Discount now says that Toyo is offering me 35% off and I can use that on whatever I want.

Discount is recommending the Yokohama YK740 GTX.

Toyo is recommending the Toyo Open Country QT.

And I've been curious about the Michelin LTX. I tend to lean toward this brand but have also used Yokohama.

All come in 225/55R19 99V.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, nice job getting some money off from Toyo.

I had the OEM 17's on my Touring which were the Yokohamas, and I too had to replace them at 18.5k miles for they were developing a sidewall bubble. And honestly, wear ratings are not great on either the Toyo or Yokohama tires from the factory.

I just got new tires and went with General Altimax RT43's. They replaced my Michelin Latitude Tour tires which were at 3/32nd.

Discount Tire tried to push the Yokohamas on me too. I didn't care for how heavy the Yokohama YK740's are. Same with the Michelin Defender tires they were pushing. The Michelin Premiere LTX is a good light tire, but I have concerns about it's longevity as it only has 8.5/32nd tread-depth brand new where new tires usually have around 11/32nd, maybe 12 even.

Overall happy with the General Altimax RT43 tires I got (aired up a few more PSI from factory spec), but they are not quite as good around the corners as my Michelins were, as I tend to drive uhh...spirited. But the cost difference between the two was a factor and am overall happy.

Ahh...I see you're local (Colorado). You must be driving on 17"?

The Pirelli Centurato P7 and the Nitto Nt421Q have also caught my eye. Not sure about the Nitto's tho.

I see the General Altimax RT43's are a light tire.

Last edited:
Wow, nice job getting some money off from Toyo.

I had the OEM 17's on my Touring which were the Yokohamas, and I too had to replace them at 18.5k miles for they were developing a sidewall bubble. And honestly, wear ratings are not great on either the Toyo or Yokohama tires from the factory.

I just got new tires and went with General Altimax RT43's. They replaced my Michelin Latitude Tour tires which were at 3/32nd.

Discount Tire tried to push the Yokohamas on me too. I didn't care for how heavy the Yokohama YK740's are. Same with the Michelin Defender tires they were pushing. The Michelin Premiere LTX is a good light tire, but I have concerns about it's longevity as it only has 8.5/32nd tread-depth brand new where new tires usually have around 11/32nd, maybe 12 even.

Overall happy with the General Altimax RT43 tires I got (aired up a few more PSI from factory spec), but they are not quite as good around the corners as my Michelins were, as I tend to drive uhh...spirited. But the cost difference between the two was a factor and am overall happy.

Big let down on Cooper CS3's grip. On dry pavement I can peel out...on a 2.0 :( It is a quiet tire though. Since I do not like the Cooper CS3's I'd probably skip Discount Tire's house tire..the Arizonian tires which are rebranded Coopers.

General Altimax RT43 are still in rears. Can't wait to rotate to front to truly test out.

If cost was not an issue I'd get Continentals for the CX-5.

⋯ Discount now says that Toyo is offering me 35% off and I can use that on whatever I want.
It looks like Toyo offered mileage warranty to your OE A23's as you have only 4/32" tread life left for only 19K miles. Considering the UTQG on A23's treadwear is 280, we'd assume its mileage warranty should be around 28K miles. Make sure to figure out how the 35% off discount applied, against the MSRP or the actually selling price of your new tires. You may find out the final price isn't better than the normal price you can get from Discount Tire without the compensation from Toyo, and DT usually would match any sales price from other competitors. Nevertheless kudos to your effort getting some compensation from OE tire manufacture due to the short tread life.

If money is no object, most expensive but shorter tread-life Michelin Premier LTX can be your choice as it's top-rated by Tire Rack customers. I personally would like to get tires with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure like OE A23 for variety of good reasons, and LTX has only 44 psi. Yokohama YK740 GTX is a Discount Tire only model that's why DT always pushes it. Toyo Open Country QT and Nitto NT421Q are expensive with not much review info we can find.

The maximum speed of V-rated tires is 149 mph and H-rated tires is 130 mph. Our CX-5 has the maximum speed of 120 mph. Hence you shouldn't have any concerns of using H-rated tires on your GT. CX-5 Touring and Sport have H-rated Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires from factory too.

So far the lightest (24.4 lbs.) General AltiMAX RT43 225/55R19 99H with good reviews is still my top choice when my CX-5 GT needs a set of new tires.

So far the lightest (24.4 lbs.) General AltiMAX* RT43 225/55R19 99H with good reviews is still my top choice when my CX-5 GT needs a set of new tires.

Why the Generals?

Also, good point about the prices and the Toyo discount (valid on MSRP and/or sale?).

Why the Generals?

Also, good point about the prices and the Toyo discount (valid on MSRP and/or sale?).
General AltiMAX* RT43 has pretty good reviews from Tire Rack and is rated almost at the top for the size. It's the lightest tire for the size. The price is reasonable and its "700 A A" UTQG shows it has good tread life. It carries 51 psi maximum inflation pressure which I prefer. I have RT43's on my 1998 Honda CR-V and they're the best tire ever for the vehicle after many sets of different tires. Most importantly, many forum members have used it on CX-5 and they all seem to like it.

$50 rebate (cash card) from General Tire on Altimax RT43

It's the lightest tire for the size. It carries 51 psi maximum inflation pressure which I prefer.

Curious of your points here. Lighter is better for mileage or ? I assume you'd run the tires around 36psi (?) so why the influence of the 51psi (instead of lower)?

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

It's because they are rated well and are priced much better than most.

I will still say that my Michelins were a bit better though in terms of the driving dynamics, but I was more in a penny pinching mood when they needed replacing.

Maybe it's just me but Michelins seemed to have really jumped up in price over the past few years.

Curious of your points here. Lighter is better for mileage or ? I assume you'd run the tires around 36psi (?) so why the influence of the 51psi (instead of lower)?

I don't care about max inflation pressure, but lighter tires will have better fuel economy I think, and maybe its just me but have felt a bit more nimble then heavier tires I have had on the vehicle (though that could just be the compound differences really).

Lighter tire is not only good for fuel economy but also good for performance. Lighter tire is easier to our suspension too and that's why many people want lighter alloy wheel instead of heavier steel wheel.

As for higher maximum inflation pressure, it's debatable on changes of contact patch with different weight carrying related to tire pressure, but one thing for sure is you can get larger safety margin on tire pressure as the actual tire pressure varies a lot while driving especially during the hot summer - blowout. The trend of new tire design is to make it withholding higher maximum inflation pressure so that we can use the higher tire pressure to carry the same load mainly for efficiency, from 32 psi in the old days, to 35 psi during the US P-metric era; then to 44 psi and now the 51 psi from many new tires. US is slow to get 51 psi maximum inflation pressure tires but most available tires in Asia and Europe are rated at 51 psi maximum inflation pressure from many years ago.

Last edited:
It's because they are rated well and are priced much better than most.

I will still say that my Michelins were a bit better though in terms of the driving dynamics, but I was more in a penny pinching mood when they needed replacing.

Maybe it's just me but Michelins seemed to have really jumped up in price over the past few years.

Michelin raised their prices by 8% about a year and a half ago. Their N. American Headquarters are also located in my hometown,but like BMW,you won*t be seeing me purchase any of their overpriced products,ever. Generals are where it*s at for price and performance. The grabbers on my Yota will perform just as well as my bros BFGs that cost 300 more a set,and they have lasted 20k+ miles longer. Same with The RT43,balance of price and performance. When I use a General on the track,sure,there are a few BFGs that are a little more aggressive,but nothing a little shaving and chemical won*t fix. So,let em keep buying the overpriced stuff because *it cost more so it*s better*,and I*ll keep stacking paper and winning...

I just swung by DT. I'm getting a $61.x per tire credit from Toyo and they already have it in the system and saved with some tires (we can change to whatever tire I choose). But the more miles I put on the more that credit will be impacted.

DT (and a good mechanic friend of mine) didn't care for the Michelin Premiers but preferred the Defenders.

8/1-8/11 $70 off of 4 Michelins. The LTX Defenders -> $205 - $17.5 - $61 = $126.50/tire (would have to be a 235 not 225). The middle number is the sale price per tire.

8/1-8/30 $60 off of 4 Pirelli's. The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus -> $163 - $15 - $61 = $87/tire.

8/5-8/18 $70 off of 4 Continental. So the True Contacts -> $191 - $17.5 - $61 = $112.30/tire. Same for the Continental True Contact Tours.

Didn't see promos for General. Appears the only Altimax RT43s they carry is the 255/45R19 104v. Priced $141. They say they can get whatever tire so it would be interesting so see what the 225/55R19 99H. Tire Rack has them now for $163. Be over $100/tire.

They have some other promos coming up over Labor Day weekend. Some you can double down on if you don't mind signing up for a DT credit card ($100) as well and that looked to get you $170 back.

Last edited:
Those True Contacts are rated well (the 19" ones) and I think folks were happy with those tires. I think someone recently got the Pirellis. Don't recall what final thoughts were on those.

Don't know anyone who got the LTX Defenders, so can't speak to those. Price-wise I found them unappealing. But with your promos and credit, price probably less a concern.

If I had to bypass the General Altimax,I*d roll with the Pirelli...

The General RT43 has a $50 rebate starting next week for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back