225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

;) That really requires discipline and I'd have a hard time to persuade my wife doing that ALL the time! It seems one single lapse you'll see door ding...

So where is the whole "book" we can read?
It also requires commitment, but it pays off in pride of ownership (at least for me) and instant sale from first "looker" at greater than "high book" selling price when it comes time to unload. Also, I've never been great about regular exercise, and I've come to rationalize the long parking lot treks as my penance for that. My wife, on the other hand, takes a few short cuts now and then which have resulted in the occasional trip to the local PDR shop (another cardinal rule "always maintain a cordial relationship with a good PDR guy as well as a good body/paint shop!"), but I don't hold her to the same standard as I hold myself. You just can't do that and stay married for 29 years! BTW, I was speaking metaphorically about "writing the book" on parking technique. It's all in my head and takes years of practice to perfect!
BTW: I have seen a book or two written on this topic; so they're out there, it just requires a diligent Google search. Can't say if they're any good though.

Last edited:
How did I break the tires loose with traction control? Don't really know and was wondering the same thing.Doesn't happen all the time , but when I give it SOME extra gas to pull out quickly and the tires spin a little when I think they shouldn't and it happens enough to wonder why then I make note of it.I let up when they break traction but it still seems to happen more than it should.Traction control aside,1st gear is geared pretty low and I think there is alot of torque put to those front wheels(notice wheels plural not just one front drive wheel and yes I'm sure it's an open differential but they both can break loose).My driving isn't aggressive nor even necessarily "spirited".That's on dry pavement.On wet pavement I try not to give too much gas pulling out and even allowing for the slicker wet road they seem to break loose rather easily.Maybe I am expecting too much.I think this baby puts alot of torque out and less converter slippage for an automatic contribute to this.
I've done this several times on a particular driveway as I exit right and jump off the curb a little bit. The R/F is the drive wheel and it's unloaded when you turn in that direction, so it never struck me as being odd that it loses a little traction (probably before the TC has a chance to wake up).

The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on CX-5 Touring are "Highway All Season" tires with pretty poor "280 B A" UTQG rating and low 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. As I have mentioned in the other thread on 17" tires for CX-5 Sport and Touring, when you replace them with General AltiMAX™ RT43 which has higher 51 psi maximum inflation pressure for similar maximum load, you do need 2~5 psi more cold tire pressure than factory specified 34 psi as the OEM 17" tire has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load is close related to the maximum inflation pressure, and you have to adjust the tire pressure for the same load capability, even wear, and performance on tires with different specs on maximum inflation pressure. What you had experienced is expected.

I guess its best to go off the tire's stated PSI on its sidewall than the car's PSI in the door frame in case the car has aftermarket tires? When I first moved to Arizona from California during a summer I asked my brother why there were so many blown tires out in the freeway. My brother told me a lot of people improperly put too much PSI in their tires. (adding PSI while tire is warm, using wrong psi specs, ect.)

One thing I miss from my VW CC was that it had real time PSI for each wheel. If I hit a bump the PSI goes up 2-3 PSI's for about 5 minutes than return back to normal.

Last edited:
I guess its best to go off the tire's stated PSI on its sidewall than the car's PSI in the door frame in case the car has aftermarket tires? When I first moved to Arizona from California during a summer I asked my brother why there were so many blown tires out in the freeway. My brother told me a lot of people improperly put too much PSI in their tires. (adding PSI while tire is warm, using wrong psi specs, ect.)

One thing I miss from my VW CC was that it had real time PSI for each wheel. If I hit a bump the PSI goes up 2-3 PSI's for about 5 minutes than return back to normal.
The sidewall of the tire will only say maximum load at some maximum inflation pressure. For example on the sidewall of General AltiMAX RT43 225/55R19 99H tire it stamps "Maximum Load 1,709 lbs. @ 51 psi Maximum Inflation Pressure". The curb weight of a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD is 3,589 lbs. At least roughly 900 lbs. of weight are put on each 19" tire. So Mazda calculated and tested 36 psi for each tire is the best tire pressure with the performance and even wear for the load based on the same "Maximum Load 1,709 lbs. @ 51 psi Maximum Inflation Pressure" tire spec on Toyo A23 tire.

The cause of the tire blow-up is not necessary caused by over-inflated tire but more by under-inflated tire. Under-inflated tire generates more heat which causes the tire to disintegrated easier, hence blows up.

Yeah, direct read tire pressure monitor such as this one found on Nissan Rogue is definitely great:

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

Tpms

Yeah, direct read tire pressure monitor such as this one found on Nissan Rogue is definitely great:

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg
Yeah, but then you are back to those wonderful TPMS valve stems and all the issues that they bring! No thanks!
While I'm not in favor of having 4 or 5 battery-powered air pressure sensors sitting in the tire valve stems, but the fact of matter is that design has no more issues than the TPMS using ABS speed sensors like our CX-5. Besides when TPMS is having problems in our CX-5, it's harder to diagnose and more expensive to fix. You can "rebuild" the TPMS valve stem easily and cheaply each time you replace the tire for preventive maintenance. Discount Tire charges only $6 each for the rebuild kit.

One deficiency on TPMS using ABS speed sensors is there is no way to tell which specific tire the pressure is low. And the system won't cover your spare tire which mostly gets ignored only until you need it but it's 20 psi too low on air pressure! Another flaw is it can't tell you when all 4 road tires are low on pressure at the same time due to seasonal changes.

Honestly I wish there's no federal mandate on TPMS system.

Problem on CX-5's TPMS:
Hoping someone has some insight here before I have to potentially spend hundreds of dollars to the dealer.
TPMS light came on a couple days ago, checked all the tires and everything showed a steady 34. Did the handbook reset method. Accessory mode, reset TPMS, light off until the next drive and then came on again.
Took it to the dealer, they wanted to reset it again for me. And light came on a second time.
Now the dealer wants a minimum of $115 to just diagnose the problem and go from there.
I had same issues for like 2 years on and off. At the end, took the car again when air pressure were correct at all 4 wheels, but alarm came on. Dealer reset it on the computer again but the TMPS lights came out. Finally they replaced a module (Not sure which parts) and no longer TMPS lights comes on even with correct tire pressure.

Not much problem on direct-read TPMS:
I did have one TPMS sensor fail early on my '07 Infiniti but the rest are now 9 years old and still working fine. Old school valve stem model on Infiniti.
Buddy I have a Corvette with original TP wheel sensors still working at 16 years with 80,000 miles so not all are bad. The CX-5 has the ABS sensor design for TPMS.
My Jeep's were almost half a decade old, and worked fine. I loved individual PSI read-outs. Replacements when I got new tires cost me $20 for all 4 or something, I recall.

Why this focus on maximum tire inflation pressures? It doesn't matter what size or brand of tire you put on there, at a given tire pressure, the contact patch area will be the same (square inches) across the board. By increasing tire pressure over factory specs, tire contact patch area is reduced, thereby reducing available grip. Tire pressure is one part that goes into the GVWR rating, which you should never exceed anyway. Always use the factory tire inflation spec, no matter what tire is on the car.

OK guys, I just plunked down my plastic at Discount Tire for these: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk740_gtx

They aren't in stock yet everywhere, so I have to wait until next week to get them, but wanted to get in on the $70 rebate that ends on Saturday. I'll report back with initial impressions and then follow up periodically on how it's going. I for one always enjoyed the handling of our OEM Toyo A23's, but the treadwear was pretty awful. I really hope these tires perform as well in the summer as the A23's. I have Blizzak DM-V1's on 17" wheels for winter, so I am not concerned with winter performance for these tires.

Last edited:
OK guys, I just plunked down my plastic at Discount Tire for these: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk740_gtx

They aren't in stock yet everywhere, so I have to wait until next week to get them, but wanted to get in on the $70 rebate that ends on Saturday. I'll report back with initial impressions and then follow up periodically on how it's going. I for one always enjoyed the handling of our OEM Toyo A23's, but the treadwear was pretty awful. I really hope these tires perform as well in the summer as the A23's. I have Blizzak DM-V1's on 17" wheels for winter, so I am not concerned with winter performance for these tires.

I think you will be pleased with them , I have them now, have driven approximately 7500 miles on them , they are a stiffer tire than the Toyo, the steering is much more responsive , it took about 1000 miles for them to break in , they are not noisy but the ride is slightly firmer than the OEM tires, they seem to be wearing very well.

Yokohama YK740 GTX Tire

Just based on specs, the only thing I don't like this Yokohama YK740 GTX tire is its weight at 29.1 lbs! It's the second heaviest tire on the list. I'd try much lighter tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 at 24.4 lbs or Continental TrueContact at 25 lbs.

Please report back your real-world experience, including the orange oil smell, on this Yokohama YK740 GTX tire... :)

I think you will be pleased with them , I have them now, have driven approximately 7500 miles on them , they are a stiffer tire than the Toyo, the steering is much more responsive , it took about 1000 miles for them to break in , they are not noisy but the ride is slightly firmer than the OEM tires, they seem to be wearing very well.

Good to know. I will actually enjoy the stiffer ride and better handling.

Just based on specs, the only thing I don't like this Yokohama YK740 GTX™ tire is its weight at 29.1 lbs! It's the second heaviest tire on the list. I'd try much lighter tires such as General AltiMAX™ RT43 at 24.4 lbs or Continental TrueContact™ at 25 lbs.

Please report back your real-world experience, including the orange oil smell, on this Yokohama YK740 GTX™ tire... :)

Yes, they are heavier. My guess is that the extra weight comes from stiffer sidewalls, which is OK by me. Oh, and I'm getting my nose in shape now via deep breathing exercises so I can smell the oranges!

Just based on specs, the only thing I don't like this Yokohama YK740 GTX™ tire is its weight at 29.1 lbs! It's the second heaviest tire on the list. I'd try much lighter tires such as General AltiMAX™ RT43 at 24.4 lbs or Continental TrueContact™ at 25 lbs.

Please report back your real-world experience, including the orange oil smell, on this Yokohama YK740 GTX™ tire... :)

Weight isn't everything. Different tires are made differently, and one tire that is lighter than another might have sacrifices made in things like cornering/handling ability if the sidewall is thinner, for example.

Weight isn't everything. Different tires are made differently, and one tire that is lighter than another might have sacrifices made in things like cornering/handling ability if the sidewall is thinner, for example.
Yeah, but other than light weight, General AltiMAX RT43 and Continental TrueContact both rated on very top in every catagory, including cornering and handling according to Tire Rack customer reviews. Several forum members here used these two tires are all giving good reviews.

Yeah, but other than light weight, General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ both rated on very top in every catagory, including cornering and handling according to Tire Rack customer reviews. Several forum members here used these two tires are all giving good reviews.

Without getting into THAT debate again (deadhorse) I wanted to stick with V-rated tires.

Yeah, but other than light weight, General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ both rated on very top in every catagory, including cornering and handling according to Tire Rack customer reviews. Several forum members here used these two tires are all giving good reviews.
I'm about to order a set of RT43s from TireRack and considered the Contis as well. I have a suspicion, given that General is a division of Continental, both tires seem to be positioned and priced similarly and both get similar consumer reviews, that they are in fact the same tire, just with slightly different tread design marketed through different channels. The pluses for the RT43 is that it can be had in the proper speed rating for the CX-5, they're about $10 cheaper per tire and they have a $50 cashcard rebate through mid-Oct.

Yokohama YK740 GTX Tire

Without getting into THAT debate again (deadhorse) I wanted to stick with V-rated tires.
You didn't mention it earlier but I think this's the best reason than others getting this Yoko tires although my position is still H-rated 19" tires are good enough, like CX-5 Sport / Touring uses H-rated 17" tires from factory, for our CX-5. (drinks)

Last edited:
General AltiMAX RT43 and Continental TrueContact

I'm about to order a set of RT43s from TireRack and considered the Contis as well. I have a suspicion, given that General is a division of Continental, both tires seem to be positioned and priced similarly and both get similar consumer reviews, that they are in fact the same tire, just with slightly different tread design marketed through different channels. The pluses for the RT43 is that it can be had in the proper speed rating for the CX-5, they're about $10 cheaper per tire and they have a $50 cashcard rebate through mid-Oct.
Yeah I suspect that General AltiMAX RT43 and Continental TrueContact are very similar structure wise with slightly different tread design too. But I'd get General AltiMAX RT43 when the time comes because I have General AltiMAX RT43 on my Honda CR-V and am very satisfied with it. It has a little price advantage than others, and categorized as "Grand Touring" All-Season tire but Continental TrueContact is categorized as "Standard Touring" All-Season tire.

lol why do you go to the trouble of putting the "trademark" symbol after every time you mention the tire names? :p

Latest posts

Back