Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense

As I have dedicated winter tires I have no need for all seasons on the stock GT rims, when the time comes I'd like to get some summer tires but the options are few and far between. What does everyone think of options for a ultra high perfomace all season or summer tire, not touring tires?
    Just Giver!!!

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Quote Originally Posted by Ride92 View Post
    As I have dedicated winter tires I have no need for all seasons on the stock GT rims, when the time comes I'd like to get some summer tires but the options are few and far between. What does everyone think of options for a ultra high perfomace all season or summer tire, not touring tires?
    The tires on my list are about all the available 225/55R19 tires you can find other than some off-brands such as Fuzion mentioned by fdew. With this size, unfortunately there is no "ultra high performance" tires for it.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring

Falken Ziex ZE950 A/S is a great alternative

Here are some reviews:
    http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie.../Ziex+ZE950+AS
    - Rich aka SIGNAL_CX5

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
    I could not find the Michelin Premier LTX in a 225/55R19. Are we sure they exist?
    http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector...ails#techspecs

Edit: Just saw this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ores-this-June!!!
    I JUST BOUGHT THE PREMIER LTX'S (225/55/19 99V) YESTERDAY AT COSTCO. I knew they were getting that size in around the beginning of June. I wanted to take advantage of the Michelin $70 rebate which finishes May 29, so COSTCO suggested that I pay for the tires now and then they would order them on June 1st(the earliest they could be ordered) . If anyone else wants these tires from Costco and misses the May 29 rebate deadline I was told by my local COSTCO last month that they could stretch the rebate period out a week or two.

I have researched the few 225/55/19 V rated tires out there and these seem like the best overall tires with the features that I'm looking for. I have run Michelin's on other vehicles for years and have been really happy with their performance. I paid $196 per tire with the rebate(up here in Canada) plus installation.
    Last edited by kdaug; 06-01-2016 at 08:25 PM.

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

I bought a set of the General Altimax RT43 for our GT. I did my own research (didn't know about this thread at that time). My Miata had General tires on it when I bought it and they were decent, so I thought I would give these a shot.

Just got done with a drive to FL after putting around 500 miles on them locally (combined city and highway driving there). I am impressed with these tires. They were initially greasy due to mold release agent on the tread, once that was scrubbed off they stuck well. Road noise is good as well over a variety of surfaces (anyone who has driven I-75S through KY/TN/GA/FL knows what I am talking about), I did not find any objectionable noise generated. While I don't push this vehicle as hard as our others, I do attack corners with verve and these tires feel just as good as the much lower treadwear rated Toyos it came with. I haven't yet driven in continuous downpours but we had some heavy rain on our way south and handling was stable with no signs of hydroplaning. I recommend these tires.

Registered Member

2016 CX5

Premier LTX's (225/55/19 99v)

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I JUST BOUGHT THE PREMIER LTX'S (225/55/19 99V) YESTERDAY AT COSTCO. I knew they were getting that size in around the beginning of June. I wanted to take advantage of the Michelin $70 rebate which finishes May 29, so COSTCO suggested that I pay for the tires now and then they would order them on June 1st(the earliest they could be ordered) . If anyone else wants these tires from Costco and misses the May 29 rebate deadline I was told by my local COSTCO last month that they could stretch the rebate period out a week or two.

I have researched the few 225/55/19 V rated tires out there and these seem like the best overall tires with the features that I'm looking for. I have run Michelin's on other vehicles for years and have been really happy with their performance. I paid $196 per tire with the rebate(up here in Canada) plus installation.

I'll be replacing my A23's in September. What do you think of the Michelins now that you've had them for a few months.

Arrow Michelin Premier LTX® 225/55R19 99V Tire

Quote Originally Posted by bbob01 View Post
    I'll be replacing my A23's in September. What do you think of the Michelins now that you've had them for a few months.
    From Tire Rack customer reviews, Michelin Premier LTX® rated #1 out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires. But its maximum inflation pressure is only at 44 psi whereas the OEM Toyo A23 is at 51 psi. This means you'd like to keep the air pressure of Premier LTX tires on the CX-5 not over the spec at 36 psi or even less. The maximum load of a tire is at its maximum inflation pressure. Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. In other words, while both tires have the same load index at different maximum inflation pressure, an A23 tire with 36 cold air pressure would carry less load as Premier LTX with the same air pressure at 36 psi. Premier LTX is a lot more expensive and also heavier than many others. With lesser maximum inflation pressure, it'd mean the tire is not as fuel efficient as other lighter tires with higher maximum inflation pressure.

If the CX-5 Sport and Touring use H-rated tires from factory, why can't we use H-rated tires on the CX-5 GT?

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    From Tire Rack customer reviews, Michelin Premier LTX® rated #1 out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires. But its maximum inflation pressure is only at 44 psi whereas the OEM Toyo A23 is at 51 psi. This means you'd like to keep the air pressure of Premier LTX tires on the CX-5 not over the spec at 36 psi or even less. The maximum load of a tire is at its maximum inflation pressure. Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. In other words, while both tires have the same load index at different maximum inflation pressure, an A23 tire with 36 cold air pressure would carry less load as Premier LTX with the same air pressure at 36 psi. Premier LTX is a lot more expensive and also heavier than many others. With lesser maximum inflation pressure, it'd mean the tire is not as fuel efficient as other lighter tires with higher maximum inflation pressure.

If the CX-5 Sport and Touring use H-rated tires from factory, why can't we use H-rated tires on the CX-5 GT?
    I thought the Michelin Premier LTX is 1.1lbs lighter than stock? It probably uses more material (but lighter weight material).

Arrow Michelin Premier LTX® 225/55R19 99V Tire

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    I thought the Michelin Premier LTX is 1.1lbs lighter than stock? It probably uses more material (but lighter weight material).
    Michelin Premier LTX® 225/55R19 99V tire is 27.34 lbs, 0.66 pound lighter than the stock A23. But there're many tires now weight at 25 lbs - see updated tables in the first post. Besides, newly designed tires have higher maximum tire pressure at 51 psi for the same maximum load. Higher air pressure in tire means lower rolling resistance, hence more fuel efficient.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Michelin Premier LTX® 225/55R19 99V tire is 27.34 lbs, 0.66 pound lighter than the stock A23. But there're many tires now weight at 25 lbs - see updated tables in the first post. Besides, newly designed tires have higher maximum tire pressure at 51 psi for the same maximum load. Higher air pressure in tire means lower rolling resistance, hence more fuel efficient.
    The Continentals look like a viable alternative to the Michelin Premiers as they include a robust 90k mile tread-life warranty, good grip and noise reviews on tire rack, has 51 psi spec, 25lb weight, and is roughly $130 per set cheaper. Another thing that caught my eye was the Michelin Premier's lower tread depth of like 8/32 although I don't see too many reviews complaining on short tread-life.

Based on the info in Tire Rack I'd personally get the Continentals BUT be on the look out for the Michelin's rebates to get the Premiers at lower cost.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 07-22-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Arrow 225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    The Continentals look like a viable alternative to the Michelin Premiers as they include a robust 90k mile tread-life warranty, good grip and noise reviews on tire rack, has 51 psi spec, 25lb weight, and is roughly $130 per set cheaper. Another thing that caught my eye was the Michelin Premier's lower tread depth of like 8/32 although I don't see too many reviews complaining on short tread-life.
    Based on the info in Tire Rack I'd personally get the Continentals BUT be on the look out for the Michelin's rebates to get the Premiers at lower cost.
    I personally would not consider Michelin Premier LTX® because its 44 psi maximum inflation pressure which indicates older design and less efficient, not to mention the high price by Michelin. It's an SUV/Crossover Touring tire so the ride should be firmer than factory Toyo A23 Grand Touring tire.

Between General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ I think it's a toss up. The fact of matter is they come from the same parent company so the design of the tires has to be similar. AltiMAX™ RT43 is a Grand Touring tire and TrueContact™ is a Standard Touring tire so AltiMAX™ RT43 may have slight performance advantage there.

I actually is very interested in Nitto NT850+™ CUV tire which is at least $30 cheaper per tire than any other tires with the same size. Unfortunately when I made the inquiry at my Discount Tire store, the sales rep called his distributer and been told that particular tire is discontinued by the manufacturer and it's hard to find right now.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Between General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ I think it's a toss up. The fact of matter is they come from the same parent company so the design of the tires has to be similar. AltiMAX™ RT43 is a Grand Touring tire and TrueContact™ is a Standard Touring tire so AltiMAX™ RT43 may have slight performance advantage there.
    I was sold on the Conti TrueContact as a replacement for my 17s until I learned of the 20+ year relationship between Continental and General here in the US. Since the performance characteristics and ratings of the RT43 General are so similar to the TrueContact, it occurred to me that they may in fact be the same tire with certain proprietary changes for different market segments. I now think I will go with the General in keeping with the "H" rating of the OE Yokahamas.

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

Reply to paris1--------------I replaced the original yoko G91 at 3000 miles with the Altimax rt43 H rated.I can tell you there was a definite increase in ride quality(eliminated alot of harshness) but there is a loss in handling response(think "squishier" sidewalls) compared to the yoko's.At pressures above factory spec of 34 psi they don't handle bad but not what I'd call performance.In fact when I picked up the car with the new tires it felt like I was riding on balloons at the 34 psi they put in. Upped the pressure to 37 or 38 and it was alot better.I think it would be a mistake to put these on a car with suspension mods etc. and search for something else if you want slot car handling.As for noise, I'd characterize them as somewhat quieter overall but still not the noise reduction I was expecting .No tire is perfect on all surfaces and the cx-5's lack of insulation helps keep things on the noisier side.Most of my driving is around town/local so noise isn't that much of a problem but interstate (esp. concrete) can get old.

As for traction,I have no problem breaking the front tires loose on dry pavement if I give too much gas.Kinda disappointed with dry traction.Wet traction could be better also.Maybe it's just me but I haven't had a tire in a long time that had the wet traction of some michelins and a set of pirellis in the distant past.You almost had to try to slide them on wet roads.Just my .02. Jmaz

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

P.S. my rt43's were made in Romania if it makes any difference.Same size as stock. Jmaz

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    Reply to paris1--------------I replaced the original yoko G91 at 3000 miles with the Altimax rt43 H rated.I can tell you there was a definite increase in ride quality(eliminated alot of harshness) but there is a loss in handling response(think "squishier" sidewalls) compared to the yoko's.At pressures above factory spec of 34 psi they don't handle bad but not what I'd call performance.In fact when I picked up the car with the new tires it felt like I was riding on balloons at the 34 psi they put in. Upped the pressure to 37 or 38 and it was alot better.I think it would be a mistake to put these on a car with suspension mods etc. and search for something else if you want slot car handling.As for noise, I'd characterize them as somewhat quieter overall but still not the noise reduction I was expecting .No tire is perfect on all surfaces and the cx-5's lack of insulation helps keep things on the noisier side.Most of my driving is around town/local so noise isn't that much of a problem but interstate (esp. concrete) can get old.

As for traction,I have no problem breaking the front tires loose on dry pavement if I give too much gas.Kinda disappointed with dry traction.Wet traction could be better also.Maybe it's just me but I haven't had a tire in a long time that had the wet traction of some michelins and a set of pirellis in the distant past.You almost had to try to slide them on wet roads.Just my .02. Jmaz
    Thanks for the input! Why did you replace the OE tires @3k miles?? My car is lowered 1.5" which I did mainly for appearance, although it does feel more "planted" now in spirited driving. However this resulted in a harsher ride and the prospect of a more compliant tire has some appeal for me.
    Last edited by paris1; 07-24-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast