225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Premier LTX's (225/55/19 99v)

I JUST BOUGHT THE PREMIER LTX'S (225/55/19 99V) YESTERDAY AT COSTCO. I knew they were getting that size in around the beginning of June. I wanted to take advantage of the Michelin $70 rebate which finishes May 29, so COSTCO suggested that I pay for the tires now and then they would order them on June 1st(the earliest they could be ordered) . If anyone else wants these tires from Costco and misses the May 29 rebate deadline I was told by my local COSTCO last month that they could stretch the rebate period out a week or two.

I have researched the few 225/55/19 V rated tires out there and these seem like the best overall tires with the features that I'm looking for. I have run Michelin's on other vehicles for years and have been really happy with their performance. I paid $196 per tire with the rebate(up here in Canada) plus installation.

I'll be replacing my A23's in September. What do you think of the Michelins now that you've had them for a few months.

Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V Tire

I'll be replacing my A23's in September. What do you think of the Michelins now that you've had them for a few months.
From Tire Rack customer reviews, Michelin Premier LTX rated #1 out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires. But its maximum inflation pressure is only at 44 psi whereas the OEM Toyo A23 is at 51 psi. This means you'd like to keep the air pressure of Premier LTX tires on the CX-5 not over the spec at 36 psi or even less. The maximum load of a tire is at its maximum inflation pressure. Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. In other words, while both tires have the same load index at different maximum inflation pressure, an A23 tire with 36 cold air pressure would carry less load as Premier LTX with the same air pressure at 36 psi. Premier LTX is a lot more expensive and also heavier than many others. With lesser maximum inflation pressure, it'd mean the tire is not as fuel efficient as other lighter tires with higher maximum inflation pressure.

If the CX-5 Sport and Touring use H-rated tires from factory, why can't we use H-rated tires on the CX-5 GT?

From Tire Rack customer reviews, Michelin Premier LTX rated #1 out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires. But its maximum inflation pressure is only at 44 psi whereas the OEM Toyo A23 is at 51 psi. This means you'd like to keep the air pressure of Premier LTX tires on the CX-5 not over the spec at 36 psi or even less. The maximum load of a tire is at its maximum inflation pressure. Additionally, while a tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry, its load carrying capacity at lower inflation pressures is proportional to how much inflation pressure is used. In other words, while both tires have the same load index at different maximum inflation pressure, an A23 tire with 36 cold air pressure would carry less load as Premier LTX with the same air pressure at 36 psi. Premier LTX is a lot more expensive and also heavier than many others. With lesser maximum inflation pressure, it'd mean the tire is not as fuel efficient as other lighter tires with higher maximum inflation pressure.

If the CX-5 Sport and Touring use H-rated tires from factory, why can't we use H-rated tires on the CX-5 GT?

I thought the Michelin Premier LTX is 1.1lbs lighter than stock? It probably uses more material (but lighter weight material).

Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V Tire

I thought the Michelin Premier LTX is 1.1lbs lighter than stock? It probably uses more material (but lighter weight material).
Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V tire is 27.34 lbs, 0.66 pound lighter than the stock A23. But there're many tires now weight at 25 lbs - see updated tables in the first post. Besides, newly designed tires have higher maximum tire pressure at 51 psi for the same maximum load. Higher air pressure in tire means lower rolling resistance, hence more fuel efficient.

Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V tire is 27.34 lbs, 0.66 pound lighter than the stock A23. But there're many tires now weight at 25 lbs - see updated tables in the first post. Besides, newly designed tires have higher maximum tire pressure at 51 psi for the same maximum load. Higher air pressure in tire means lower rolling resistance, hence more fuel efficient.

The Continentals look like a viable alternative to the Michelin Premiers as they include a robust 90k mile tread-life warranty, good grip and noise reviews on tire rack, has 51 psi spec, 25lb weight, and is roughly $130 per set cheaper. Another thing that caught my eye was the Michelin Premier's lower tread depth of like 8/32 although I don't see too many reviews complaining on short tread-life.

Based on the info in Tire Rack I'd personally get the Continentals BUT be on the look out for the Michelin's rebates to get the Premiers at lower cost.

Last edited:
The Continentals look like a viable alternative to the Michelin Premiers as they include a robust 90k mile tread-life warranty, good grip and noise reviews on tire rack, has 51 psi spec, 25lb weight, and is roughly $130 per set cheaper. Another thing that caught my eye was the Michelin Premier's lower tread depth of like 8/32 although I don't see too many reviews complaining on short tread-life.
Based on the info in Tire Rack I'd personally get the Continentals BUT be on the look out for the Michelin's rebates to get the Premiers at lower cost.
I personally would not consider Michelin Premier LTX because its 44 psi maximum inflation pressure which indicates older design and less efficient, not to mention the high price by Michelin. It's an SUV/Crossover Touring tire so the ride should be firmer than factory Toyo A23 Grand Touring tire.

Between General AltiMAX RT43 and Continental TrueContact I think it's a toss up. The fact of matter is they come from the same parent company so the design of the tires has to be similar. AltiMAX RT43 is a Grand Touring tire and TrueContact is a Standard Touring tire so AltiMAX RT43 may have slight performance advantage there.

I actually is very interested in Nitto NT850+ CUV tire which is at least $30 cheaper per tire than any other tires with the same size. Unfortunately when I made the inquiry at my Discount Tire store, the sales rep called his distributer and been told that particular tire is discontinued by the manufacturer and it's hard to find right now.

Between General AltiMAX™ RT43 and Continental TrueContact™ I think it's a toss up. The fact of matter is they come from the same parent company so the design of the tires has to be similar. AltiMAX™ RT43 is a Grand Touring tire and TrueContact™ is a Standard Touring tire so AltiMAX™ RT43 may have slight performance advantage there.

I was sold on the Conti TrueContact as a replacement for my 17s until I learned of the 20+ year relationship between Continental and General here in the US. Since the performance characteristics and ratings of the RT43 General are so similar to the TrueContact, it occurred to me that they may in fact be the same tire with certain proprietary changes for different market segments. I now think I will go with the General in keeping with the "H" rating of the OE Yokahamas.

Reply to paris1--------------I replaced the original yoko G91 at 3000 miles with the Altimax rt43 H rated.I can tell you there was a definite increase in ride quality(eliminated alot of harshness) but there is a loss in handling response(think "squishier" sidewalls) compared to the yoko's.At pressures above factory spec of 34 psi they don't handle bad but not what I'd call performance.In fact when I picked up the car with the new tires it felt like I was riding on balloons at the 34 psi they put in. Upped the pressure to 37 or 38 and it was alot better.I think it would be a mistake to put these on a car with suspension mods etc. and search for something else if you want slot car handling.As for noise, I'd characterize them as somewhat quieter overall but still not the noise reduction I was expecting .No tire is perfect on all surfaces and the cx-5's lack of insulation helps keep things on the noisier side.Most of my driving is around town/local so noise isn't that much of a problem but interstate (esp. concrete) can get old.

As for traction,I have no problem breaking the front tires loose on dry pavement if I give too much gas.Kinda disappointed with dry traction.Wet traction could be better also.Maybe it's just me but I haven't had a tire in a long time that had the wet traction of some michelins and a set of pirellis in the distant past.You almost had to try to slide them on wet roads.Just my .02. Jmaz

P.S. my rt43's were made in Romania if it makes any difference.Same size as stock. Jmaz

Reply to paris1--------------I replaced the original yoko G91 at 3000 miles with the Altimax rt43 H rated.I can tell you there was a definite increase in ride quality(eliminated alot of harshness) but there is a loss in handling response(think "squishier" sidewalls) compared to the yoko's.At pressures above factory spec of 34 psi they don't handle bad but not what I'd call performance.In fact when I picked up the car with the new tires it felt like I was riding on balloons at the 34 psi they put in. Upped the pressure to 37 or 38 and it was alot better.I think it would be a mistake to put these on a car with suspension mods etc. and search for something else if you want slot car handling.As for noise, I'd characterize them as somewhat quieter overall but still not the noise reduction I was expecting .No tire is perfect on all surfaces and the cx-5's lack of insulation helps keep things on the noisier side.Most of my driving is around town/local so noise isn't that much of a problem but interstate (esp. concrete) can get old.

As for traction,I have no problem breaking the front tires loose on dry pavement if I give too much gas.Kinda disappointed with dry traction.Wet traction could be better also.Maybe it's just me but I haven't had a tire in a long time that had the wet traction of some michelins and a set of pirellis in the distant past.You almost had to try to slide them on wet roads.Just my .02. Jmaz
Thanks for the input! Why did you replace the OE tires @3k miles?? My car is lowered 1.5" which I did mainly for appearance, although it does feel more "planted" now in spirited driving. However this resulted in a harsher ride and the prospect of a more compliant tire has some appeal for me.

Last edited:
Back again with some random thoughts on tires which may or may not be relevant.In past tire purchases and again here with the general rt43,I chose a mid-tier tire within that tire group.Meaning that general is mid -tier within the Continental group.I had BFGoodrich's that were mid tier within the Michelin group(Michelin--BFG---Uniroyal).The bfg's though listed as made in USA on their website ended being made in Korea by Hankook because Michelin is part owner of Hankook.I got rid of those tires in less than 2 years with plenty of tread still left(the tire shop thought I was nuts) because of some pants puckering experiences on wet turns at reasonable speeds and would spin out easily on wet streets pulling away from stoplights.The rubber hardened and lost wet grip.Those were some expensive miles on those tires.Had some bridgestone's that weren't great either.Won't go back to them.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is maybe it's better to investigate the top tier brand even though the reviews are pretty good on mid-tier tires.I don't know maybe I've been looking for the almost perfect tire for years but wasn't willing to pay for them.Tire shopping sux.

Paris1---I replaced the yoko's due to harsh ride and noise.I really liked the handling but stiffer sidewalls gives a harsher ride in my experience.even though I never got to try them in the snow there were reports of poor snow traction and I live in snow belt.So that was only a potential additional reason.Actually the car felt more "planted" with the yoko's and the wet and dry traction was decent.Maybe I should have kept the yoko's longer but after being beat up on a long trip which had me cursing the tires,suspension and seat which could use a little more padding for my boney azz,those tires were coming off.--speaking of seats ,recently I drove a friends 2014 ford escape titanium with leather seats.My back fell in love with them.Felt better than the cx-5 gt leather seats I sat in.Seats and noise are probably my 2 biggest complaints .Most of the time the seats are not really uncomfortable but could be more comfortable.I love my cx-5 and it's fine for my type of driving but if I was logging alot of highway miles I'd look for something more comfortable and quieter.I'll stop now because the subject is tires not seats but better seats would be great for ride quality. Jmaz

paris1--further comments--I'm on a roll now--- even though it's way early for new tires I'm going to research the continental CROSS CONTACT as a replacement.If I still lived in Santa Rosa (lived on pheasant ln across from wikiup golf course way back in 1987-91) I'd gladly let you drive my cx-5 but we're about 2400 miles apart.Take care. Jmaz

Jmaz: sounds like you're pretty anal about tires. Which is fine; with me it's body and paint. I would defy anyone to find a mark on my 3 year old CX-5 and that's because I wrote the book on defensive parking practices and then had my wife memorize it so that her 3 year old Z-4 is as flawless as my Mazda. Funny you should mention the seat comfort as I have kind of a love-hate relationship with mine too. I've always valued firm seating and like the CX-5's chairs for that reason. However, as I've gotten older I've developed a mild case of sciatica which ONLY make itself apparent after about 1.5 hours of driving in the CX-5. I can make it about a half hour further in the Z-4. Otherwise it never bothers me! Ahh, growing old; it ain't for sissies!

paris1---- you're right ,gettin' old ain't for sissies.Luckily I don't have any back problems but what gets me is the oddball aches and pains that come out of nowhere for no apparent reason and then go away(thankfully--most of the time shortly).
Anyway,I just returned from driving my wondrous cx-5 on a hot and muggy day and thought of something(driving is great to let the mind percolate on things).Two things: 1) I have 17" tires,19" may prove to give you the ride and handling you want due to shorter sidewall.And 2) I complained to the dealer about a groaning noise from the front end when firmly braking esp. in wet weather.They changed the front lower control arm bushings to an updated bushing per a TSB (that I can't find the number on the repair order or I'd give it to you.They also replaced my vibrating mirror at the same time which mostly fixed that problem.)
The bushings were installed after I had the rt43"s on for about 2000 miles and can tell you that I felt an immediate additional improvement beyond the rt43's when I left the dealership.The ride(in front,felt thru steering and seat/floorboard) was still firm but comfortably so.I remember thinking that if I would have had the bushings updated before the rt43's , it may have taken enough of the harsh edge off where I could have kept the yoko's.Don't know for sure.The back bushings were not replaced and some sharp bumps can still be jolting.
The TSB was for cx-5's produced before november 2016 and referenced a "creaking noise.Maybe updated bushings would help.

... I replaced the original yoko G91 at 3000 miles with the Altimax rt43 H rated.I can tell you there was a definite increase in ride quality(eliminated alot of harshness) but there is a loss in handling response(think "squishier" sidewalls) compared to the yoko's.At pressures above factory spec of 34 psi they don't handle bad but not what I'd call performance.In fact when I picked up the car with the new tires it felt like I was riding on balloons at the 34 psi they put in. Upped the pressure to 37 or 38 and it was alot better.
The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on CX-5 Touring are "Highway All Season" tires with pretty poor "280 B A" UTQG rating and low 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. As I have mentioned in the other thread on 17" tires for CX-5 Sport and Touring, when you replace them with General AltiMAX RT43 which has higher 51 psi maximum inflation pressure for similar maximum load, you do need 2~5 psi more cold tire pressure than factory specified 34 psi as the OEM 17" tire has 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load is close related to the maximum inflation pressure, and you have to adjust the tire pressure for the same load capability, even wear, and performance on tires with different specs on maximum inflation pressure. What you had experienced is expected.

As for traction,I have no problem breaking the front tires loose on dry pavement if I give too much gas.Kinda disappointed with dry traction.Wet traction could be better also.
How did you break the front tires loose with the traction control in place? But I believe your driving style is more demanding than others and your performance expectation on a CUV is high. Unfortunately the OEM tire size is very narrow, like "pizza cutter" as some forum members call it. With this size, you can only find some Touring or SUV/Truck tires. There's no "Performance" tires available in this size which would satisfy your expectation.

Continental CrossContact LX is Crossover/SUV/Truck tire and the ride characteristic is different from those Touring tires. Based on Tire Rack performance rating in the Crossover/SUV Touring All Season tires, it's rated at #12 out of 23 unless you get one with "EcoPlus Technology" which is rated at #5 out of 23.

... with me it's body and paint. I would defy anyone to find a mark on my 3 year old CX-5 and that's because I wrote the book on defensive parking practices and then had my wife memorize it so that her 3 year old Z-4 is as flawless as my Mazda.
Would like to read your "defensive parking practices" book if you don't mind! My wife and I have tried every way of defensive parking practices we could think of, sometimes even park our car at the farthest spot and walk a long way, but still getting door dings!

Would like to read your "defensive parking practices" book if you don't mind! My wife and I have tried every way of defensive parking practices we could think of, sometimes even park our car at the farthest spot and walk a long way, but still getting door dings!
Well for starters, chapter 1, paragraph 1 of "DPP" states unequivocally that "if there are no single or similarly protected places in a lot, always park your car in the furthest spot and walk a long way".

See what a difference a single word can make?

Well for starters, chapter 1, paragraph 1 of "DPP" states unequivocally that "if there are no single or similarly protected places in a lot, always park your car in the furthest spot and walk a long way".
See what a difference a single word can make?
;) That really requires discipline and I'd have a hard time to persuade my wife doing that ALL the time! It seems one single lapse you'll see door ding...

So where is the whole "book" we can read?

yrwei52-- thank you for enlightening me on the relationship of tire inflation pressure vs max pressure and load rating.I also wasn't aware that the crosscontact was only suv/truck/crossover category.I certainly don't want a stiffer riding tire than I have now.Thanks for that too.Like I said I was going to research them( but really haven't done much).Hell, they may not even offer them in my size.That happens too.
How did I break the tires loose with traction control? Don't really know and was wondering the same thing.Doesn't happen all the time , but when I give it SOME extra gas to pull out quickly and the tires spin a little when I think they shouldn't and it happens enough to wonder why then I make note of it.I let up when they break traction but it still seems to happen more than it should.Traction control aside,1st gear is geared pretty low and I think there is alot of torque put to those front wheels(notice wheels plural not just one front drive wheel and yes I'm sure it's an open differential but they both can break loose).My driving isn't aggressive nor even necessarily "spirited".That's on dry pavement.On wet pavement I try not to give too much gas pulling out and even allowing for the slicker wet road they seem to break loose rather easily.Maybe I am expecting too much.I think this baby puts alot of torque out and less converter slippage for an automatic contribute to this.

Back