225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Anyone tried the Toyo Proxes ST3? Classified under Performance Truck/SUV and Highway (unlike others CUV/SUV and Touring and All-season). Guess they'll wear faster though and ride might not be as good, but reviews show they're good in dry and wet.

Saw a Falken FK510 but they're priced bit higher than the ST3 (like around $270ea). Wonder how the Proxes ST3 would do with our CX5, as I'm planning to upgrade from the stock 17's.

Not fortunate to easily find Continental (and others from the US market) here in Asia.
The ST3's are like $165 ea. here.

Anyone tried the Toyo Proxes ST3? Classified under Performance Truck/SUV and Highway (unlike others CUV/SUV and Touring and All-season). Guess they'll wear faster though and ride might not be as good, but reviews show they're good in dry and wet.

Saw a Falken FK510 but they're priced bit higher than the ST3 (like around $270ea). Wonder how the Proxes ST3 would do with our CX5, as I'm planning to upgrade from the stock 17's.

Not fortunate to easily find Continental (and others from the US market) here in Asia.
The ST3's are like $165 ea. here.
From Tire Rack:

“The Proxes ST III is Toyo's Street/Sport Truck All-Season tire developed for high-powered and performance-focused pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs, in addition to any driver who wants to add some sporty character to their vehicle. Designed to combine stylish good looks with confident traction and handling year-round, the Proxes ST III is engineered for use in dry, wet and wintry conditions, even light snow.”

And:

“The Azenis FK510 is Falken's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and modern muscle cars who want dry and wet traction and handling in a refined package. The Azenis FK510 is designed to deliver driver confidence in warm conditions, so like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.”

I’d say both “high performance” oriented tires aren’t the ideal tire for your 2022 CX-5 Sport FWD 2.0L which is a CUV.

You can go to tirerack.com and look through all available 225/65R17 tires which aren’t under performance categories and check customer reviews. Then find the tires available locally from top rated tires listed on the chart.

From Tire Rack:

“The Proxes ST III is Toyo's Street/Sport Truck All-Season tire developed for high-powered and performance-focused pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs, in addition to any driver who wants to add some sporty character to their vehicle. Designed to combine stylish good looks with confident traction and handling year-round, the Proxes ST III is engineered for use in dry, wet and wintry conditions, even light snow.”

And:

“The Azenis FK510 is Falken's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and modern muscle cars who want dry and wet traction and handling in a refined package. The Azenis FK510 is designed to deliver driver confidence in warm conditions, so like all Ultra High Performance Summer tires, it is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.”

I’d say both “high performance” oriented tires aren’t the ideal tire for your 2022 CX-5 Sport FWD 2.0L which is a CUV.

You can go to tirerack.com and look through all available 225/65R17 tires which aren’t under performance categories and check customer reviews. Then find the tires available locally from top rated tires listed on the chart.
Sorry, in what ways will these 'Performance tires' be unsuitable for the CX-5 CUV?

PS. Sorry, I forgot to expound when I mentioned 'upgrading'... I meant 'upgrading to the 19 rims', just for info, so these tires are for the 225 55R19. Doesn't matter though since it's the tires we're looking at.

Sorry, in what ways will these 'Performance tires' be unsuitable for the CX-5 CUV?
A CX-5 with a 2.0L has only 155 hp. It’s mediocre at best for a crossover utility vehicle on power and performance. You don’t need a tire designed for “high performance” or “street sport”.

A CX-5 with a 2.0L has only 155 hp. It’s mediocre at best for a crossover utility vehicle on power and performance. You don’t need a tire designed for “high performance” or “street sport”.
newsflash, some people like to go for a sportier tire option that regular old mediocre all season tires. Everyone knows that Mazda CUV's tend to handle better than the typical offering from other makes. Maybe @sherp wishes to enjoy some benefits of that handling with some higher performance rubber.

newsflash, some people like to go for a sportier tire option that regular old mediocre all season tires. Everyone knows that Mazda CUV's tend to handle better than the typical offering from other makes. Maybe @sherp wishes to enjoy some benefits of that handling with some higher performance rubber.
Yes I agree. And that’s why I said “need”, but he certainly can get it for any other reasons. Since sherp is from other country where the tire price can be much higher, my suggestion has mainly considered the cost issue as most of time the performance tires are more expensive but with much less tread life. And if his area has wintery road conditions occasionally the performance sumner tires may not be a good choice for him.

Yes, primarily our reason was aesthetics. Of course I also consider the other factors (ie. wear, comfort, cost, noise).

Started as there were 1 year old, stock 19" stock rims offered for around $350 by someone who upgraded rims, so I scouted for tires, as long as not too expensive. Though limited, stock 19" tires Toyo R36/R46 are priced too high (like $400each), and the 2 I mentioned earlier (ie. Toyo ST3 and Falken FK510) were what I found available and priced good enough. Later I also found the Sailun Inspire, bit cheaper, but really couldn't find reviews.

I learned later that the 2 tires are 'Performance Tires' but wasn't too sure of the impact on our CUV. I would have considered them if wear and comfort were not sacrificed significantly over stock touring tires, since I read they were fine Dry/Wet, but then the classification of 'Highway' and 'Light Truck' got me more confused, which is why I inquired.

We're in a tropical country (dry/rain), so no winter at all. Obviously there are bad/uneven roads, roughly on 30% of usual trips. I don't generally do 'spirited' driving,

Been reading too to get inputs regarding tires as I'm not too experienced with these, why I inquired. Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, primarily our reason was aesthetics. Of course I also consider the other factors (ie. wear, comfort, cost, noise).

Started as there were 1 year old, stock 19" stock rims offered for around $350 by someone who upgraded rims, so I scouted for tires, as long as not too expensive. Though limited, stock 19" tires Toyo R36/R46 are priced too high (like $400each), and the 2 I mentioned earlier (ie. Toyo ST3 and Falken FK510) were what I found available and priced good enough. Later I also found the Sailun Inspire, bit cheaper, but really couldn't find reviews.

I learned later that the 2 tires are 'Performance Tires' but wasn't too sure of the impact on our CUV. I would have considered them if wear and comfort were not sacrificed significantly over stock touring tires, since I read they were fine Dry/Wet, but then the classification of 'Highway' and 'Light Truck' got me more confused, which is why I inquired.

We're in a tropical country (dry/rain), so no winter at all. Obviously there are bad/uneven roads, roughly on 30% of usual trips. I don't generally do 'spirited' driving,

Been reading too to get inputs regarding tires as I'm not too experienced with these, why I inquired. Thanks for the inputs.
Among 2 tires you mentioned, Toyo Proxes ST III all-season tire certainly is the better choice with “500 A A” UTQG and lower price in your area ($165 vs. $270 each). It’s a street/sport truck tire and the ride could be firmer than your stock 17”’s. And I’d stick with OE size 225/55R19 and Proxes ST III doesn’t come with 225/55R19 at least in the US.

Been combing threads here for tire options a bit after inheriting my father in laws pristine 14 gt AWD with just 17k on it but still the original toyos. it's nice to be back in a Mazda, we both had first gen Mazda 6 and 3, years ago.

I'm not thrilled with the options that are in the OEM size which seem to have been selected more about maximizing mpg than anything else. That being said, you all have me scratching talking up 235/55r19 while talking down 245/50r19 when both tires are ideal on a 7.5" wheel but still spec'd to fit on the OEM 19x7 wheels. Especially since the 245/50 is an exact diameter match without any negative impact on the speedo. I've pretty much landed on Conti dws 06 plus which comes in both sizes. Have had the regular dws06 before and loved them

Last edited:
Been combing threads here for tire options a bit after inheriting my father in laws pristine 14 gt AWD with just 17k on it but still the original toyos. it's nice to be back in a Mazda, we had first gen Mazda 6 and 3 years ago.

I'm not thrilled with the options that are in the OEM size which seem to have been selected more about maximizing mpg than anything else. That being said, you all have me scratching talking up 235/55r19 while talking down 245/50r19 when both tires are ideal on a 7.5" wheel but still spec'd to fit on the OEM 19x7 wheels. Especially since the 245/50 is an exact diameter match without any negative impact on the speedo. I've pretty much landed on Conti dws 06 plus which comes in both sizes. Have had the regular dws06 before and loved them
The concern to me by using wider than stock 225/55R19 tire is this:

BB273F41-842A-4682-8B72-F7D5F8B96486.jpeg

The rubbing mark is on both sides of front struts on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD and was caused by stock Toyo A23 225/55R19 tires.

View attachment 307804

The rubbing mark is on both sides of front struts on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD and was caused by stock Toyo A23 225/55R19 tires.
Interesting, based on height on the strut it looks like it would be closer to where the tire mounts on the wheel where it rubbed.

Costco Canada has $150 off on Pirellis right now, so I have been thinking of potentially getting a set of Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 2s. I assume I can sell the Toyos that my CX-5 came with (they are literally brand new).
The question is... are the A36s this bad? I'm sure that once I start rolling on the A36s they will have virtually zero resale value. I don't want to have to replace them mid-summer, and I am also quite scared of not being able to find a replacement A36 in case I get a flat or something.

PS: Blackcircles in Canada has an even better deal on those tires. Less than $1000 taxes and installation included.

Last edited:
... The question is... are the A36s this bad? ...
It's subjective. I was happy with my oem A36's other than some vibrations for the first few miles. Wear was as expected. Traction was fine. Nothing to make me throw away good tires. I don't think it would be an issue finding an A36 if you needed a replacement.

Now, if you've got fat stacks o' cash burning holes in your pocket and just want better tires then go for it :giggle:

Costco Canada has $150 off on Pirellis right now, so I have been thinking of potentially getting a set of Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 2s. I assume I can sell the Toyos that my CX-5 came with (they are literally brand new).
The question is... are the A36s this bad? I'm sure that once I start rolling on the A36s they will have virtually zero resale value. I don't want to have to replace them mid-summer, and I am also quite scared of not being able to find a replacement A36 in case I get a flat or something.

PS: Blackcircles in Canada has an even better deal on those tires. Less than $1000 taxes and installation included.
Pirelli's Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II is an excellent tire based on Tire Rack comparison chart. The only concern you should have is its 225/55R19 99H is H rated, and Pirelli won’t offer any warranty if your factory tires have higher speed rating, which is V rated on your stock Toyo A36’s. Some tire stores may offer their own warranty but you really want to verify.

I don’t really think A36 is a bad tire based on my experience on my stock Toyo A23’s which are very similar. Just go ahead keep your stock A36’s unless they’re verified defective or you actually experienced any dissatisfactions on performance which you can’t tolerate.

Unobtanium had been reporting his experience on Nokian WRG3 SUV 225/65R17 on his previous 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD.

Nokian WRG3 SUV (ongoing review)

Hm. About the polar opposite of my experience, so far, with the Nokian WR G4 SUV 235/55-19 on a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD.

Current mileage on them -- 12Kmi.

Noise -- A bit louder than last year during first couple of months. Louder than I thought they'd be, but they're better than many all-season tires ... and nowhere near as loud as some of the common "all-terrain" tires that people often put on the CX-5 (ie, the Toyo Geolandar).

Vibration/harshness -- None. Tires seem perfectly concentric and smooth. Balancing has much to do with quality of experience, as well; no issues at all with the shop's "road force" balancing of these.

Grip on snow+ice -- Exceptional on snow; fairly good on ice, but then ice is nasty. On ice, not quite as good as the Nokian Hakkapeliittas that I've had previously on other vehicles. On snow, about ~85-90% of the grip of the Hakkas.

Grip on wet -- Very good, just short of exceptional. Except for standing water. Performance at speed over standing puddles can result in some hydroplaning if at excessive speed. (Then again, most tires are this way, so that's nothing out of the ordinary.)

Handling -- IMO, the 235/55-19 sizing requires a wider rim to fully exploit the tire's abilities. I tend to drive a bit slower than many around me, and I don't push corners, so I'm fine with it. If preferring a more-spirited level of handling, then by all means get wider rims and somewhat lower profile. (Not altogether fair, as these are near-winter type tires and so shouldn't be expected to be pushed through corners.)

Tread wear -- About what I had expected. Just measured the tires and it's only down about 2/10ths (in 12Kmi of usage). But I don't push the tires hard.

Have had one full year on these, over two winters and one summer. Like the tires quite a bit. on 19x8.5" or x9" rims they'd be stellar, I suspect. Great in the winter weather and roads, and a little better than average during clear/dry weather (compared to what other all-seasons typically offer).

View attachment 307804

You sure that wasn't from installing/removing the wheel from the car?
I do that all the time when installing/removing.

If you have that much movement between the wheel/tire and the strut when driving, something must be worn out....although there's not much there. It's a fairly rigid connection from wheel to the strut.
Just talking out loud, I think it's only the hub attached to the knuckle and the strut is bolted directly to that.

You sure that wasn't from installing/removing the wheel from the car?
I do that all the time when installing/removing.

If you have that much movement between the wheel/tire and the strut when driving, something must be worn out....although there's not much there. It's a fairly rigid connection from wheel to the strut.
Just talking out loud, I think it's only the hub attached to the knuckle and the strut is bolted directly to that.
Definitely it’s the rubbing mark from my Toyo A23 tire! Nothing loose on both sides of front suspension and I’d noticed these rubbing marks on both sides since my 2016 CX-5 was at 30k miles.

Definitely it’s the rubbing mark from my Toyo A23 tire! Nothing loose on both sides of front suspension and I’d noticed these rubbing marks on both sides since my 2016 CX-5 was at 30k miles.

Yikes. Stock tires should not rub anywhere in my opinion.
Any chance you brought it up with a dealer?

The stock Toyo Tires on my 16.5 GT AWD have lasted longer than expected (34,000 mi. currently), but it is getting time to replace the tires. I was hoping for some Memorial Day sales on the Continental Cross Contact LX 25s, but the price has been fixed since the start of the year. Just poking around today again to see which way I want to go, I'll likely buy from America's Tire.

Is the LX25s still the "go to" replacement? Any other V rated contenders for all around duty (highway, city, dirt/gravel road) that have come onto the scene in the last couple of years?

I usually buy Michelin tires and have always been happy with them, but I've heard their offerings in the 225/55/R19 size are more car oriented and / or don't rate quite as highly.

Back