225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
People in need of new set of tires for CX-5 GT are facing limited selections on 225/55R19 99V tires. If you're willing to settle for H rated tire, there're a lot more tires would be available, with many non-name-brands. But I only listed a few name brand H-rated tires which also ranked highly from reviews by TireRack.com, as others have similar price range at $160+ and they're not worth the money IMHO. Personally I'd get H rated tires without any hesitation as CX-5 Sport and Touring are using 17" H rated tires from factory. But if you insist to use V rated 19" tires and would like to save money, thanks to Buzzer777, Nitto NT850+ CUV is the lowest priced tire on the market with decent reputation as it owned by Toyo, for around $130+ each. You can order this Nitto NT850+ CUV tire from your local tire store such as Discount Tire and it should cost you less than $650 with sales tax, installation, lifetime tire balancing and rotating. If money is not your concern, Michelin Premier LTX is the most expensive tire, not including OEM Toyo A23, with excellent reviews. But the drawback, in addition to the high price, is the low maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi while others, including the OEM Toyo A23, are at 51 psi. This is fairly close to our factory recommended tire pressure at 36 psi, and this is also an indication that the tire structure designed is not as strong as others.

Edit: There's a more recent tire comparison table in post #76.

Grand/Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Toyo A23225/55R19
99V
300 A A51 psi9.8/32"28 lbs.OEM - None$269.31
- TR
Toyo Versado CUV225/55R19
99V
440 A A51 psi10.2/32"28 lbs.50,000 Miles$185.34
- TD
Yokohama YK580225/55R19
99V
580 A A51 psi11/32"28.8 lbs.60,000 Miles$166.00
- DT
Yokohama YK740 GTX225/55R19
99V
740 A A51 psi12/32"29.1 lbs.60,000 Miles$167.00
- DT
Nitto NT850+ CUV225/55R19
99V
500 A A51 psi10.6/32"? lbs.50,000 Miles$136.99
- TB
Nitto NT421Q225/55R19
103V XL*
640 A A50 psi11.8/32"? lbs.75,000 Miles$168.00
- DT
Continental TrueContact225/55R19
99H
800 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$168.55
- TR
General AltiMAX RT43225/55R19
99H
700 A A51 psi?24.4 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$167.55
- TR
Pirelli Cinturato P7
All Season Plus
225/55R19
99H
700 A A44 psi10/32"28 lbs.70,000 Miles$172.55
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Michelin Premier LTX225/55R19
99V
620 A A44 psi8.5/32"27.34 lbs.60,000 Miles
6 Years
$198.55
- TR
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422
Ecopia
225/55R19
99V
640 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.65,000 Miles
5 Years
$186.55
- TR
Yokohama Geolandar G055225/55R19
99V
740 A A51 psi11/32"28.1 lbs.65,000 Miles
5 Years
$168.55
- TR
Goodyear Assurance CS
Fuel Max
225/55R19
99H
600 A B51 psi10/32"31 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$196.55
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com
DT = DiscountTire.com
TD = TiresDirect.net
TB = TireBuyer.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus - #1 out of 42
General AltiMAX RT43 - #5 out of 42

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact - #1 out of 21

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Michelin Premier LTX - #1 out of 24
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia - #7 out of 24
Yokohama Geolandar G055 - #11 out of 24
Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max - #14 out of 24

Other tires are not ranked due to insufficient data or not carried by TireRack.com.

Last edited:
General has a good option as well.

TireSizeUTQG Maximum Inflation PressureTread DepthTire WeightWarrantyPrice*
General ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)225/55R19
99H
700AA51 psi10/32"25pds75,000 Miles$169.30 - TR

Tire Rack rates them #4 out of 39.

Last edited:
General has a good option as well.
General ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
225/55R19 99H
Tire Rack rates them #4 out of 39.
I was debating whether I should put H-rated General ALTIMAX RT43, new for our size, in the table as I have this tire on our CR-V and I like them a lot! Since Germany's Continental AG bought General Tire, I thought they came out a couple of good tires. But there is Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus ranked #1 out of 39 in Grand Touring All-Season category and is only $5 more so I decided not to include it. But ALTIMAX RT43 has 51 psi on maximum inflation pressure than 44 psi from Cinturato P7.

TR reviews (sorted by most miles driven) shows the Cont TC owners getting no more than 30k out of the tires and loss of MPG when switching to that tire. I'm all about lighter tire at my next tire change. On my 2002 Maxima, I went to a General tire that was 3 pds lighter and noticed it in driving feel immediately. The reviews on the General Alt RT43 seem to indicate better longevity (70k mile reports on TR review sorted by most miles driven).

Pirelli P7 seem to blow some of these tires away in terms of performance and longevity:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=188

However, I googled the P7 on Prius forums (folks who care about MPG) and noticed most complained that they lost about 2MPG on the P7.

TR reviews (sorted by most miles driven) shows the Cont TC owners getting no more than 30k out of the tires and loss of MPG when switching to that tire. I'm all about lighter tire at my next tire change. On my 2002 Maxima, I went to a General tire that was 3 pds lighter and noticed it in driving feel immediately. The reviews on the General Alt RT43 seem to indicate better longevity (70k mile reports on TR review sorted by most miles driven).

Pirelli P7 seem to blow some of these tires away in terms of performance and longevity:

However, I googled the P7 on Prius forums (folks who care about MPG) and noticed most complained that they lost about 2MPG on the P7.
Those rankings from TireRack.com are the overall performance ratings. Some tires will have better performance in some areas than the other. I wouldn't mind to get Nitto NT850+ CUV due to its low price, or Michelin Premier LTX due to its good overall performance and "Michelin" name on the tire. I may even try Yokohama Geolandar G055 at certain point just for a taste of it! :)

So... I assume that if the tire is lasting only 1/3 of it's mileage rating they are getting refunds of 2/3 the cost of each tire?

I think tire manufacturers generally don't expect the purchaser of their tires will achieve the mileage guarantee. What they do expect is your mileage will be much lower and you will be suckered into buying those tires again using their discount % from the guarantee. Battery manufacturers do the same thing. I wish they would sell me the tires at a much lower price and I will accept no mileage guarantee in return.

So... I assume that if the tire is lasting only 1/3 of it's mileage rating they are getting refunds of 2/3 the cost of each tire?
If your tire reaches 2/32" or close to it you'll get credit, not cash refund, of any miles not used towards a new set of tires. It's similar to battery prorated warranty.

I think tire manufacturers generally don't expect the purchaser of their tires will achieve the mileage guarantee. What they do expect is your mileage will be much lower and you will be suckered into buying those tires again using their discount % from the guarantee. Battery manufacturers do the same thing. I wish they would sell me the tires at a much lower price and I will accept no mileage guarantee in return.
The difference is battery prorated warranty generally requires you to get the same battery, or at least the same brand of battery. But tire's mileage warranty is different, at least from my experience with Discount Tire. I could always get credit for miles not used towards a new set of tires with any brand I prefer. Discount Tire can also order any tires for me not in their stock. They have better tire mounting and balancing equipment. They can also match the price Costco offered. That's why I go to Discount Tire even though I do have membership with Costco. The only thing Discount Tire couldn't offer is nitrogen gas. ;)

As I mentioned before I choose Discount Tire over Costco because Discount Tire has better tire mounting and balancing equipment, can order any tires I prefer if they aren't in their normal stock, and will match the price Costco offered. I stopped by at my Discount Tire store yesterday checking out the availability of tires I listed above. Michelin Premier LTX is in their inventory system but won't be available until June. And unfortunately our cheapest option, Nitto NT850+ CUV, is a discontinued item hence it's no longer available for the size. TireBuyer.com is also listed as out of stock.

Aside from the different speed rating of a V rated tire versus a rated H tire, what other changes in the CX5's performance could/would be expected of going with a lower rated tire?

handling? braking performance?

thx

Aside from the different speed rating of a V rated tire versus a rated H tire, what other changes in the CX5's performance could/would be expected of going with a lower rated tire?
handling? braking performance?
It's hard to compare non-speed related performance between V (149 mph) and H (130 mph) rated tires as one line of tire normally has one speed rating. So the comparison becomes comparing different tread design and structure between different kind of tires. I usually use tire performance rankings from reviews and comments on TireRack.com, with UTQG numbers as a reference. These have been giving me good info for researching new set of tires and usually they didn't miss it too much.

Generally speaking, V rated tires are designed for sport sedans with top speed over 130 mph. According to Car and Driver the top speed for CX-5 is 120 mph. And Mazda uses H rated tires on Sport and Touring. This is a proof that using a H rated tires on GT has no safety issues.

I'd be checking for maximum inflation pressure on replacement tires which is on par with OEM's 51 psi. I personally would get H-rated tires with 51 psi on maximum pressure than V-rated tires with only 44 psi on maximum inflation pressure, i.e. Michelin Premier LTX.

I am running Fuzion Size: 235/55R19 V rated

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_Name=Fuzion Touring

This is my second set. They were recommended to me by a friend who used them on his Audi. I had a set on my Audi Allroad. They are made by Bridgestone and they seem to be an amazing bargain. 4 of them on the car for $508

I now have them on my CX-5. My daughter has them on her Mazda6 and a set are going on my wife's car on Monday.
I like them

As I have dedicated winter tires I have no need for all seasons on the stock GT rims, when the time comes I'd like to get some summer tires but the options are few and far between. What does everyone think of options for a ultra high perfomace all season or summer tire, not touring tires?

As I have dedicated winter tires I have no need for all seasons on the stock GT rims, when the time comes I'd like to get some summer tires but the options are few and far between. What does everyone think of options for a ultra high perfomace all season or summer tire, not touring tires?
The tires on my list are about all the available 225/55R19 tires you can find other than some off-brands such as Fuzion mentioned by fdew. With this size, unfortunately there is no "ultra high performance" tires for it.

I JUST BOUGHT THE PREMIER LTX'S (225/55/19 99V) YESTERDAY AT COSTCO. I knew they were getting that size in around the beginning of June. I wanted to take advantage of the Michelin $70 rebate which finishes May 29, so COSTCO suggested that I pay for the tires now and then they would order them on June 1st(the earliest they could be ordered) . If anyone else wants these tires from Costco and misses the May 29 rebate deadline I was told by my local COSTCO last month that they could stretch the rebate period out a week or two.

I have researched the few 225/55/19 V rated tires out there and these seem like the best overall tires with the features that I'm looking for. I have run Michelin's on other vehicles for years and have been really happy with their performance. I paid $196 per tire with the rebate(up here in Canada) plus installation.

Last edited:
I bought a set of the General Altimax RT43 for our GT. I did my own research (didn't know about this thread at that time). My Miata had General tires on it when I bought it and they were decent, so I thought I would give these a shot.

Just got done with a drive to FL after putting around 500 miles on them locally (combined city and highway driving there). I am impressed with these tires. They were initially greasy due to mold release agent on the tread, once that was scrubbed off they stuck well. Road noise is good as well over a variety of surfaces (anyone who has driven I-75S through KY/TN/GA/FL knows what I am talking about), I did not find any objectionable noise generated. While I don't push this vehicle as hard as our others, I do attack corners with verve and these tires feel just as good as the much lower treadwear rated Toyos it came with. I haven't yet driven in continuous downpours but we had some heavy rain on our way south and handling was stable with no signs of hydroplaning. I recommend these tires.

Back