Mazda 3 making wierd whinning noise on take off

Caparzo

:
2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I've been hearing this noise on takeoff for the last couple of weeks and I feel like it is kind of getting a little worse. Ever since I've had my brakes done about 6 months ago they've squeaked pretty consistently. Now when I come to a complete stop and accelerate something underneath my car, passenger side, is making a whine noise when I initially take off. After the axle rotates once or twice the noise goes away. I found a video on youtube of the exact same noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7X6c_n1zig

Just wonder if anyone would know what this noise is and if it is something serious or not.

~Thanks Again

that maybe a flat spotted wheel bearing (usually these will make lots of noise and get louder with speed) or a hung caliper that is causing the pads on one side to stay too close to the rotor and touch it just slightly. could even be a slightly warped rotor. you said the pads you had installed have been squeaky ever since installation? this means that the garage most likely did not lube you caliper slides or metal contact points on your brakes as they are supposed to. i would swing it by a shop and have them check the work on that brake job and make sure nothing is stuck. does the car seem to pull to the passenger side when you apply the brakes with moderate to hard force? if so then something is definitely hung on that side. do you get any vibrations through the car or steering wheel while driving or under braking? if so it maybe a warped rotor.

The car doesn't pull at all when I brake or accelerate. The noise goes away once I go above about 5mph or after a couple of rotations of the front tires. I get no wheel vibrations and the only noise I hear are my snow tires, which I usually just keep on year round.

Another possibility is air in one of the lines. It could prevent the caliper piston from fully retracting into its bore and pulling the pads away from the rotor. Really, the only way to really know is to take a look at the noisy caliper/pads.

As far as squealing goes, that can be due to what kms mentioned or the pads themselves. Many aftermarket pads make noise, while most OEM pads do not. "Bedding" pads does help but the resulting pad layer on the rotor doesn't last very long. I prefer offset slotted rotors like the Hawk Quiet Slots. They tend to keep the pads perfectly parallel to the rotor, which helps to keep the noise down.

yeah, concept id right on that, if the pads that were put on were cheap or even moderate priced pads they may have metal shims on the back and these make the pads squeak alot, as he said hawk makes great pads and rotors they are quiet as a whisper but they cost a pretty penny and usually cannot be found at your local parts store. autozone gold and max pads (the gold that are ceramic) have a nitrite rubber shim, i have these installed on my car max on front ceramic golds on rear with their gold rotors and my brakes make absolutely no noise at all. these can easily be found at most autozones or ordered quickly for you and pads will have a lifetime warranty. concept did also mention air in the lines which can do this as well. however you would notice your brakes would not feel right if there was air in the lines. it cannot hurt to have them bled anyway.

if you are unsure of how to properly work on brakes swing it by a reputable shop and have one of the techs come ride with you and show him/her what it is doing. a reputable shop should be willing to do this as they want you in good shape. where did you originally have the pads installed? and how much did just the pads (not including labor) cost you? this can help us determine what brand and what quality you had put on. cheap pads will always squeal. the cheap ones we sell at autozone are bad about that with the hard metal shims. the brake lube helps it some but they still occasionally squeak but the better quality ones are quiet and great pads, i always recommend people get the gold (ceramic if the option is there) or max pads as they are leaps and bounds better than base pads. its worth it to spend more on brakes as they can be the difference between stopping before a wreck or being in one. the max and gold ceramics can handle very spirited street driving styles like i have.

Brake job or not, that sounds more like some kinda intake air leak. I'd check all intake couplers and plastic pipes for leaks and cracks.
I don't see how the brakes can squeal while the car's sitting still.

Brake job or not, that sounds more like some kinda intake air leak. I'd check all intake couplers and plastic pipes for leaks and cracks.
I don't see how the brakes can squeal while the car's sitting still.

the OP stated it is during the start of acceleration. which can indicate a bad pad seating in the caliper, worn out brake hardware and/or loss of lubrication in the brake system as well as a hung caliper. some of these usually present other symptoms as well , which is why we were asking for more details. it is very rare to have stock intakes make creaking noises loud enough to hear inside a car. however after market ones, especially cheap ones can have this issue. its far more likely to be a mechanical issue with the brakes or wheel hub or something of the sort.

to the OP have you checked this out yet?

It's definitely a brake issue. I'd try reseating the pads with some anti-squeal and seeing if that helps.

Bump an old thread. I see most everyone is stating brakes. I*ve had this noise happening for a little bit, which is now getting worse. Just had the inspected and the brakes were fine. I had a guy replace all my shocks due to the rear drivers being blown. The noise is exactly the same as the YouTube video, and only happens when starting to pull off. Any tips, outside of the above?

One thing and associated component that wasn't yet mentioned is an under-tensioned drive belt or pully bearing. The belt can squeal a bit or a lot, depending upon how loose it is against the pulleys.

Back