davesxx01 build thread

davesxx01

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Little past Mazda history first!

My first Mazda was a 323GTX! Anyone remember those?
a '88 MX-6 GT, '07 Speed 6, '14 CX-5, a '14 Mazda6 GT, and now a '16 CX-5 GT

Picked up my latest one this past January.

The '16 is way better than the '14 IMHO!

attachment.php

Mod 1: JBR SRI Intake Looks great and definitely louder!
attachment.php

Mod 2: Racing Beat Muffler! Perfect look! Slightly deeper tone
attachment.php

Mod3: Ultra Racing Strut tower brace.

Mod 4: OV Tuned ECU Upgrade!
On my initial flash right now but I can tell a big improvement right off the bat! Tuning for 89 octane first, then will tune for 91 when in sport mode.
Feels like a bit more torque in the mid range, intake makes more noise. Definite change in the valve timing! So easy to just cruise.
NO, I do not and will not do a before and after dyno or take my car to the strip. Don't ask.
Yes, the gain even on my first base tune is very noticeable. Naysayers will just have to be doubters, I love the tune even on it's first variation!
Mathew at OV knows his stuff! BUT! totally not a fan of the use of epifan tuning software,,,,, had hours worth of issues before I got it working right.

Update! Well, I got the software sorted out, two updates needed!

I'm on my 3rd tune now and absolutely love the mid range power! Studying my datalogs and am flowing more air at 6500!
And I'm only tuning for 89 octane!! Last tank of fuel and I'm getting 26.9 MPG in town. A solid gain of almost 2 MPG,,,, but I also figure some of it is due to the switch over to summer fuel.
Going on a vacation next week over 700 miles one way. Speeds around 75 MPH. Will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get!

Update: Finally finished my 89 tune, getting around 32 MPG highway,,,,,, until I go over or close to 75 MPH, then it drops quick!

Update: Working on my 93 octane tune and all I can say is WOW! This motor loves good octane! So much better than my 89 tune! On my 3rd revision and this car is fun to drive!! Really feel a good gain on the top end!

Mod 5: Liqui Moly! Heard some great things about this stuff! We shall see after my vacation!

images

Last edited:
Modified K&N shield from my Mazda6 to work in the CX-5!
Shield itself required zero mods, just needed to trim the filter opening seal as the JBR filter was larger in diameter.
I know it's not a perfect seal from engine heat but it's a LOT better than before!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now to duct some outside air to the box!
I trimmed the hood seal to allow air in the box area.
Thinking about trimming the area above the fog lamp for more cool outside air!

Attachments

• IMG_5124.1.jpg
    IMG_5124.1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMG_5131.1.jpg
    IMG_5131.1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,381
Last edited:
Installed Toyo Celsius CUV tires. Although I had zero issues driving in the snow when I purchased my car last January, I figured I would try these.
Slightly larger due to Toyo not selling our exact size but look and feel fine!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Look forward to watching your mods progress! I have had Mods #1, 2, and 3 for some time now and they have been great for me. Will be doing Mod #4 (OVT) at some point in the near future as well.

Any plans for suspension mods?

Cool. Looking forward to some pics.

I've looked at the SRI, but am a little leery because I've heard of some loss off the line since it's pulling warmer air from the engine. So I just threw in an AEM filter for now. Have you experienced this?

I am interested in the OVT Tune though, but can't afford it at the moment. I'll just keep reading about other people's experience for now. I like to read/research a lot anyways before I make a big purchase.

Would like to add Elford +30mm spring kit and better tires!
Looking for someone stateside who can get Elford!!!

Yes, the SRI needs a heat shield for summer,,,, Modifying my K&N shield from my Mazda6 to fit the CX-5 to help until something better comes out.
Mat from OV has a tune specifically for the JBR intake.

Yes, the SRI needs a heat shield for summer,,,, Modifying my K&N shield from my Mazda6 to fit the CX-5 to help until something better comes out.

Cs has an air box oem style for sris

Mat from OV has a tune specifically for the JBR intake.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought of the same thing, if I ever go that route.

Cool! Never hear of Elford but I have Eibach springs (Part #: E10-55-014-01-22) sitting in my garage, should be installing soon and will let you know how they turn out. They weren't available stateside either but bought them for a reasonable price (think $230 shipped) from the ebay seller, tunershop-worldwide.

Rev 3 tune update after long trip!:

OK, although I am not finished tuning yet I went on vacation to AR and my thoughts so far are pretty good!
I noticed that there is more torque being made down low as my car would constantly downshift sometimes 2 gears on hills. LOTS of hills in NW Arkansas and my car only downshifted 2 gears once! Could definitely feel the extra torque.
Top end when used felt great also.
Fuel mileage going down there was 30.32 & 28.96 MPG (2 tanks of fuel) while doing 70-75-80 MPH. Slight side draft wind.
Got fuel in Eureka Springs (91) for cheap and it may have been bad,,,, on my way back home I only got 25.82 MPG for my first tank then 29.89 on my second tank. Same speeds but had a pretty good head wind driving north east!
My trip was 1383 miles. While down there playing in the hills I got 26.17 MPG.
I used BP gas on the highway (89) and a local no name station in Eureka Springs

I met Unobtanium while there and let him drive the car to compare. He made his own post about the drive. I will say though that I'm only mid way through the tuning process and have not tuned for max power on 91 octane so,,,,,.

Thoughts so far are very good!
I am having Mathew from OV Tuning make my tune for better fuel mileage up to 2500 RPM then better power above that,,,,, guess I should of raised that RPM level a bit because when driving at anything over 72 MPH my RPM's are over 2500!
I'm guessing if I drove at a respectable 65 MPH my mileage would of been easily over 30!

Last edited:
Cool. Looking forward to some pics.

I've looked at the SRI, but am a little leery because I've heard of some loss off the line since it's pulling warmer air from the engine. So I just threw in an AEM filter for now. Have you experienced this?

I am interested in the OVT Tune though, but can't afford it at the moment. I'll just keep reading about other people's experience for now. I like to read/research a lot anyways before I make a big purchase.
I thought his SRA was BS until after we got done with a relatively long drive, with a few WOT pulls. He popped the hood, and I felt everything around the filter. The metal parts of the vehicle in that area, the filter itself, etc. It was very close to ambient temperature. On the "engine side" of the heat shield, it was much warmer. his heat-shield setup APPEARS to be effective, because if it was pulling in hot air, the filter and metal on it and around it would be hot to the touch, one would think, like the other parts of the vehicle on the other side of said filter's shield. I was skeptical too, but it seems to be legit.

Rev 3 tune update after long trip!:

OK, although I am not finished tuning yet I went on vacation to AR and my thoughts so far are pretty good!
I noticed that there is more torque being made down low as my car would constantly downshift sometimes 2 gears on hills. LOTS of hills in NW Arkansas and my car only downshifted 2 gears once! Could definitely feel the extra torque.
Top end when used felt great also.
Fuel mileage going down there was 30.32 & 28.96 MPG (2 tanks of fuel) while doing 70-75-80 MPH. Slight side draft wind.
Got fuel in Eureka Springs (91) for cheap and it may have been bad,,,, on my way back home I only got 25.82 MPG for my first tank then 29.89 on my second tank. Same speeds but had a pretty good head wind driving north east!
My trip was 1383 miles. While down there playing in the hills I got 26.17 MPG.
I used BP gas on the highway (89) and a local no name station in Eureka Springs

I met Unobtanium while there and let him drive the car to compare. He made his own post about the drive. I will say though that I'm only mid way through the tuning process and have not tuned for max power on 91 octane so,,,,,.

Thoughts so far are very good!
I am having Mathew from OV Tuning make my tune for better fuel mileage up to 2500 RPM then better power above that,,,,, guess I should of raised that RPM level a bit because when driving at anything over 72 MPH my RPM's are over 2500!
I'm guessing if I drove at a respectable 65 MPH my mileage would of been easily over 30!

My mileage to/from visiting you was around 26.XX, as I recall. I got gas right before I headed your way that night from Bentonville, as a comparison. I noted that my car did not downshift any more than yours did on those hills, but I DID note that mine felt like it "lugged" more than yours, to stay in equivalent gears. Definitely a tangible difference in that aspect, IMO. The tune seems legit as far as I can tell, except I am not yet sold on the acceleration difference, although someone opined wheels could well play a role, and you are on the 89 version. I really wish we had had time to line 'em up!

I have lost nearly 5mpg to a headwind doing 80 before...

I thought his SRA was BS until after we got done with a relatively long drive, with a few WOT pulls. He popped the hood, and I felt everything around the filter. The metal parts of the vehicle in that area, the filter itself, etc. It was very close to ambient temperature. On the "engine side" of the heat shield, it was much warmer. his heat-shield setup APPEARS to be effective, because if it was pulling in hot air, the filter and metal on it and around it would be hot to the touch, one would think, like the other parts of the vehicle on the other side of said filter's shield. I was skeptical too, but it seems to be legit.

Cool, good to know. Thanks for your reply.

I read your post yesterday that Dave's CX-5 felt about the same as yours off the line, so at least it's not losing power...but with the tune, I was hoping it would be quicker off the line. I've heard the SRI can lose low end with the warm engine air, so if it's staying the same w/ more mid range power, I suppose it's okay.

We (Unobtainium and I) cannot make a certain statement one way or the other as to the power gain. As stated, I wish we had more daylight time to compare cars. A dig run and a 40-whatever run would quell all doubts about the tune.
Sadly, not enough time for either.
I feel there is more power/torque all across the range.
Can I prove it ? No. But I feel it!

When I head back down there in a couple months I'll have both tunes finalized and we will do side by side runs!

Last edited:
We (Unobtainium and I) cannot make a certain statement one way or the other as to the power gain. As stated, I wish we had more daylight time to compare cars. A dig run and a 40-whatever run would quell all doubts about the tune.
Sadly, not enough time for either.
I feel there is more power/torque all across the range.
Can I prove it ? No. But I feel it!

When I head back down there in a couple months I'll have both tunes finalized and we will do side by side runs!

Agreed, that would've been cool to have you two compare the cars together. Oh well. Hey, if you can feel the difference that's something. And as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Thanks for the info and updates.

Cool, I'll be waiting to hear the results!

Back