Driving habbits / safe rev / maximum rev (2.0 SkyActive-G)

:
Mazda CX-5 2.0 TS+ Soul Red
Hello everyone,

My name is Sander and I'm new to this forum, also new to Mazda. I've got my (second hand) CX-5 2.0 MT TS+ for a month now and I have been searching for quite a bit but I can't find any discussion about the maximum rev of the SkyActiv-G 2.0 engine and what's the "reasonable point of shifting" for quick acceleration? The rev meter reads about 6500 or 6800 to be the maximum. Ofcourse I'm not going to redline it every week.

My previous car was a Fiat (MT) with 1.3 JTD engine, which sounded like dying at 3500 or more rpm, so I never got past that. I did 50.000 miles with this car. I drove quite a bit at the maximum speed of the vehicle and a lot around 85-106, 106 being the top speed.

Another car I drive a lot is a Volkswagen from 2008, also MT, this time 1.9 TDI engine. This car sounds OK with the rev limit, 4500.

So I'm just wondering what you guys suggest, think, recommend, because petrol has been a while ago for me.

Please don't blame me for enjoying driving.. :)

Greetings,
Sander

Last edited:
For "quick acceleration" I take mine close to 5-6k. Too soon to tell how safe it is, we will find out how the engine wears with my oil analysis as the miles buildup. One things for sure, the engine makes a nice noise going through the rev range. It feels like it can rev higher if Mazda wanted it to. Haven't overheated or anything bad yet. I have noticed coolant temp touching 211*f before dropping down to 198 in heavy stop and go traffic. Not sure if it's a bad thing, just an observation.

Thanks for your reply Pete, I agree with the sound, it's very enjoyable. Just wondering, how can you see the temperature of the coolant? Mine only shows a cold water symbol when I start it from cold and shows this for a few minutes?

+1 OBD2 plug (Wifi or BT) and lots of paid or free software you can view data on your phone.

Last edited:
I actually got a OBD2 BT plug, didn't fit in the Fiat, it's hit my knee. I'll give it a try, thanks folks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Pete, I agree with the sound, it's very enjoyable. Just wondering, how can you see the temperature of the coolant? Mine only shows a cold water symbol when I start it from cold and shows this for a few minutes?

I am using a ScanGauge. The Blue cold engine light stays on till about 128*f.

Hello everyone,

My name is Sander and I'm new to this forum, also new to Mazda. I've got my (second hand) CX-5 2.0 MT TS+ for a month now and I have been searching for quite a bit but I can't find any discussion about the maximum rev of the SkyActiv-G 2.0 engine and what's the "reasonable point of shifting" for quick acceleration? The rev meter reads about 6500 or 6800 to be the maximum. Ofcourse I'm not going to redline it every week.

As long as your engine is warm and your oil is fairly clean and at the right level, there is nothing wrong with regularly revving the car the car to the redline.

As long as your engine is warm and your oil is fairly clean and at the right level, there is nothing wrong with regularly revving the car the car to the redline.

And when the vehicle does reach the maximum RPM allowed, it will gently cut the fuel to LIMIT the RPM's and prevent any damage.

If you happen to have the AUTOMATIC Transmission, and are in the MANUAL mode, the fuel is gently cut to prevent over rev, AND it will automatically shift to the next gear after a few moments to prevent damage.

And when the vehicle does reach the maximum RPM allowed, it will gently cut the fuel to LIMIT the RPM's and prevent any damage.

If you happen to have the AUTOMATIC Transmission, and are in the MANUAL mode, the fuel is gently cut to prevent over rev, AND it will automatically shift to the next gear after a few moments to prevent damage.

I was talking to someone, and he told me as the SkyActiv approaches redline, instead of just cutting off fuel, it actually shuts the throttle.

I was talking to someone, and he told me as the SkyActiv approaches redline, instead of just cutting off fuel, it actually shuts the throttle.
Yes, Thank you for the correction. With as smooth as the cut off is, I would assume that this is indeed the case.

So shutting the throttle is better? It sounds better in my opinion.
Of course I am just referring to the Max RPM limiter / REV limiter, and that you really do not have to "worry" about over revving the engine, because the engines ECU prevents you from doing it.

The next time I have my Bluetooth OBD2 Reader plugged in, I will remember to look at the "throttle angle %" at max RPM and see if that is indeed the case.

Torque drops off after 4,000 rpm... peak Horsepower is under 6000.
20z5z6f.jpg

@mazdadude
Any information on the subject? :)
I'm from Europe BTW, so I use 95 RON or sometimes 98 RON (very rarely though)

Back