1 year, 19,382 miles later review

It really does suck, this is my 4th Mazda. My 05 Mazda 6 just turned 247k miles on the clock. The CX-5 has been in the shop more then that car and its 11 years old with a ton of miles. I was hoping to buy the CX-5 and keep it for 10+ years but I guess that's not reality anymore. Even the " leather " seats in the CX have more wrinkles then the 6 has. My wife wants to take it to a dealer where my friends wife is the service manager, but that's 2 hrs from me to see if they can get it sorted out.I really don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

Agreed. Why bother? It's an appliance. If your coffee-maker had this many issues, would you keep the darn thing? I wouldn't.

... And what I mean by that is my 05 has 242k miles on it and the seats hardly look worn at all. The CX-5 bolsters are already showing signs of wear which I brought to the service managers attention. The leather just isn't as good, which I guess is because its now bonded.
Even the " leather " seats in the CX have more wrinkles then the 6 has.
I was always wondering, is the "leather" used in our CX-5 genuine? The "leather" seats look more like those old vinyl seats! Is it synthetic leather or leatherette as it no where looks or feels like the leather used in our VW Passat or BMW 528i?

The minute I lose trust in a car, I'm looking elsewhere

Exactly. Now, I won't freak out over a dead battery, or maybe a bad MAF sensor, or whatever, but when the list turns into...a list? It's time to dump it and move on.

Thing is, I did that with my G20, after replacing a TON of stuff, and years later the person I sold it to told me they have yet to have a single issue with it, lol!

I was always wondering, is the "leather" used in our CX-5 genuine? The "leather" seats look more like those old vinyl seats! Is it synthetic leather or leatherette as it no where looks or feels like the leather used in our VW Passat or BMW 528i?

It's leather FACED. Many people on here refuse to believe me, but a quick look at the stuff pretty much tells the tale.

It's leather FACED. Many people on here refuse to believe me, but a quick look at the stuff pretty much tells the tale.

As has been discussed before, the parts you sit on and touch most are leather. The seatbacks, headrests and arm rests are vinyl. Of course, leather comes in many grades - it's typical coated high volume automotive leather. Luxury makes have thicker more premium leather available but its always a many thousand dollar option.

Funny this happened now - I noticed the upper plastic piece on the driver's side door just below the window goes in by an inch if you push the door open. So much for build quality. But I think in general these are small issues - as long as it drives well and basic functions work - the odd time NAv freezes etc. will not force me to sell it.
The center arm rest though - awful than the cheapest of cars I have seen.

Leather Seatd

As has been discussed before, the parts you sit on and touch most are leather. The seatbacks, headrests and arm rests are vinyl. Of course, leather comes in many grades - it's typical coated high volume automotive leather. Luxury makes have thicker more premium leather available but its always a many thousand dollar option.
People complaining the quality of the "leather" seats on CX-5, fully aware the "leather" is only on seating surface, not on the whole seat. My VW Passat is the same but my BMW 528i has fully covered leather seat. We, like the OP, are complaining the quality of the so called "leather". Op's leather seats have shown signs of early wearing. And my feeling toward CX-5's "leather" on seats is it doesn't feel like leather, look like leather, and even smell like leather. I could smell leather on the other two cars with leather seats when they're new, but I smell nothing like leather on CX-5's "leather" seats!

The quality in leather/surfaces between the CX-5 and my 2015 Odyssey is quite different. While the backrest in the CX-5 suits me well (Honda has some peculiar design in their active restraint system that pushes awkwardly on my lower back even with the lumbar completely backed off), the bottom cushion in the Odyssey is far and away more comfortable. I don't necessarily blame the vehicle - I think it has more to do with an ischial / sciatic problem, but a bit more comfort would make it so much more enjoyable to drive. For what it's worth, I own a 2016 CX-5 GT non-tech with ~5,500 miles (turns a year old in November).

People complaining the quality of the "leather" seats on CX-5, fully aware the "leather" is only on seating surface, not on the whole seat. My VW Passat is the same but my BMW 528i has fully covered leather seat. We, like the OP, are complaining the quality of the so called "leather". Op's leather seats have shown signs of early wearing. And my feeling toward CX-5's "leather" on seats is it doesn't feel like leather, look like leather, and even smell like leather. I could smell leather on the other two cars with leather seats when they're new, but I smell nothing like leather on CX-5's "leather" seats!

My car smelled of leather when new. And still does, compared to our cloth-seated 3.

Back