TSB on headlight defect 2016 CX5

Boonies...

DANGIT...And I always thought that Reno, Nevada was the technical end of the rainbow ..ie: add 3 days to ship to my house!

I just had the replacement headlights installed. All I did was tell them to take a look at them while I was getting oil chaged and that there was a TSB out there for a hazy film inside the lights. They came to get me at the end of the oil change and said they ordered the new lights for me. Super easy.

Mazda USA is trying to go premium with its brand and with its branding. Training dealerships to provide premium level customer service is the next step.

Just had my first oil change done at dealership for free . I pointed out the TSB and the service worker had no clue and questioned why TSB are made public , I laughed . I then showed him some possible examples of what others have mentioned here . He later came out with a print out showing the TSB and Mazda response to the problem which basically said unless it was real noticeable they were not to do anything . I pointed out that I didn't want it to get worse or too late after possibly the warranty ran out . I wasn't going to argue with the guy and I pointed out I would call the district manager . Has anyone else experienced a similar response reaction from their dealer . I intend to pursue this if it gets worse than it is now .

Just had my first oil change done at dealership for free . I pointed out the TSB and the service worker had no clue and questioned why TSB are made public , I laughed . I then showed him some possible examples of what others have mentioned here . He later came out with a print out showing the TSB and Mazda response to the problem which basically said unless it was real noticeable they were not to do anything . I pointed out that I didn't want it to get worse or too late after possibly the warranty ran out . I wasn't going to argue with the guy and I pointed out I would call the district manager . Has anyone else experienced a similar response reaction from their dealer . I intend to pursue this if it gets worse than it is now .

The service tech is technically following directions so don't be too hard on the guy. At least he researched and confirmed your TSB findings. How much warranty time do you have left?

The service tech is technically following directions so don't be too hard on the guy. At least he researched and confirmed your TSB findings. How much warranty time do you have left?

Not being hard on the guy , he had no clue about the problem even though he claimed they were one of the largest Mazda dealerships in the country , I had to point it out to him .He seemed to challenge my knowledge of the problem and the role of TSBs in general . Others on this page seemed to have no problem getting the issue addressed , I am just trying to avoid a problem later . I have 4600 miles on the car .

The foggy film was present inside the HID lens as well, but there was never a TSB that I was aware of. My only fear was that it would spread and intensify as the weather changed. The HID fixture was about $1k as well$...#%#. Bulb was extra...ouch!
Your HID headlight problem on your past CX-5 is covered under the same TSB. But that is not your problem to worry about now! :)

From what I've heard, most Lexus dealers offer one of the best service you can find. Free donuts and free car wash are the norm. You should have no worries for any service and warranty issues.

Not being hard on the guy , he had no clue about the problem even though he claimed they were one of the largest Mazda dealerships in the country , I had to point it out to him .He seemed to challenge my knowledge of the problem and the role of TSBs in general . Others on this page seemed to have no problem getting the issue addressed , I am just trying to avoid a problem later . I have 4600 miles on the car .
"TSB" is an internal document only for service department of car dealers. But in current Internet era people make these info available in public. Our 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech falls within the VIN range of the TSB, but I can't simply take our CX-5 to my Mazda dealer and ask for LED headlight replacement as a "preventive measure" unless they're indeed showing the exact sign of issues stated in the TSB. I don't know if we're luckier or not, but I hope either our LED headlights are made by different vendor with better quality, or the problem is slower to develop than others but hopefully they'd show the symptom before the warranty expires!

"TSB" is an internal document only for service department of car dealers. But in current Internet era people make these info available in public. Our 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech falls within the VIN range of the TSB, but I can't simply take our CX-5 to my Mazda dealer and ask for LED headlight replacement as a "preventive measure" unless they're indeed showing the exact sign of issues stated in the TSB. I don't know if we're luckier or not, but I hope either our LED headlights are made by different vendor with better quality, or the problem is slower to develop than others but hopefully they'd show the symptom before the warranty expires!

Touch wood. My NZ version with a built date of Mar-15 still have clear LED head light. Mazda offers 5 years /unlimited Kms warranty in NZ so there is a bit more protection with longer warranty. I do wonder if this problem is a question of if or when. If it is a question of when then Mazda will be up for significant warranty costs worldwide. Someone from Singapore reported that their CX5 LED is cloudy pretty much from new as well and it was replace under warranty.

You can always call Mazda USA and give them the TSB number. They will take care of it and call your dealer for you to schedule the fix. I have personally done this with Mazda and Nissan never being rude and have a 100% success rate. They will also give you a ticket number to document your call if you have any issues.

LED vs Halogen headlights - are they worth the cost?

I'm in the market for a CX-5 and am looking for opinions on the LED headlights - are they significantly brighter than the standard halogen headlights? can the auto focus (turning) be turned off? Any downsides to the LED headlights? thanks

LED vs Halogen headlights - are they worth the cost?

I'm in the market for a CX-5 and am looking for opinions on the LED headlights - are they significantly brighter than the standard halogen headlights? can the auto focus (turning) be turned off? Any downsides to the LED headlights? thanks
LED lightings are so much better than halogen like day and night! Yes, AFS can be turned off through the setup but why? You definitely want to get Tech Package. The LED headlights with AFS, LED fog lights, LED DRLs, LED taillights, and LED brake lights are well worth the money. Downsides? If any components fails, it'd be expensive to replace. But good quality LED lights should last the life time of your vehicle.

Thank you for this thread and the TSB !! My local dealership wasn't familiar with the issue, but having this information helped me. They are replacing both headlights. Here is a picture of what mine look like.

nTMhA0P.jpg
5jAxcqv.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread and the TSB !! My local dealership wasn't familiar with the issue, but having this information helped me. They are replacing both headlights. Here is a picture of what mine look like.
nTMhA0P.jpg
5jAxcqv.jpg

I just noticed this thread yesterday and took a look at my headlights after I got home from work. It has the same issue as yours, though your headlights look worse than mine. Will be taking mine to the dealership this weekend.

Just get a 2017! That’s what I did! [emoji23][emoji41]

It took care of the headlights and tires that needed replacing soon! [emoji15]🤣

Follow up (1/12/18)

We had both headlights replaced under warranty. However, the replacement headlights have a noticeable SAE serial # on the front. Anyone else receive replacement headlights with all these numbers on the front? It looks like a sticker that's in the inside of the headlight. Dealership said it's their first time noticing it and nothing they can do.

nO6lAVX.jpg

Follow up (1/12/18)

We had both headlights replaced under warranty. However, the replacement headlights have a noticeable SAE serial # on the front. Anyone else receive replacement headlights with all these numbers on the front? It looks like a sticker that's in the inside of the headlight. Dealership said it's their first time noticing it and nothing they can do.

nO6lAVX.jpg

So?

Those markings distinguish a proper approved headlight from these Chinese aftermarket tat that makes its way onto cars.

Back