TSB on headlight defect 2016 CX5

Nhjake89

:
2016 CX5 GT
Just wanted to let everyone know that on the 2016 CX5 there is a TSB for the film on the inside of our headlights if you have Led lighting. I took mine to the dealer complaining about the film and this is where I was told about the TSB. Even if it is very slight, I would suggest getting them replaced since they are $1,000 each.

Yes, there's a LED headlight TSB someone had posted earlier. And yes these LED headlight unit is expensive too!

Just wanted to let everyone know that on the 2016 CX5 there is a TSB for the film on the inside of our headlights if you have Led lighting. I took mine to the dealer complaining about the film and this is where I was told about the TSB. Even if it is very slight, I would suggest getting them replaced since they are $1,000 each.

Yes I posted it some where in the forum. Had smudges on day of collecting new car. Had them replaced a couple months later. No question asked.

Here is the TSB provided by craigo and pictures from the TSB showing the defects:

White Milky Stains on Inner Surface of Headlight Lens 2013-2016 Mazda CX-5

In case people haven't looked at the pic in the TSB mentioned by craigo:

attachment.php

And an invoice for this TSB work showing the list price of each LED headlight unit, a whopping $1,330.55 each!
b2ed6cd30e344d20a7e1d5a71d5b95ba.jpg

Dealer invoice [emoji43] they are expensive, so people take care of them [emoji23]

I just had my 2016 GT headlights replaced under warranty for the film that started appearing about 2 months ago.

I have the same film slowly growing inside the turn signal area of the right rear tail light. They are replacing it under warranty. First one came in damaged still waiting on another 3 weeks later. It's been a 2 month process so far. :/

Those who have it changed under the TSB, would you happen to your car's build date? My dealer told me the problem is remedied after 06 2015 build date.

Those who have it changed under the TSB, would you happen to your car's build date? My dealer told me the problem is remedied after 06 2015 build date.
Giving us the build date from those with LED headlights replaced is an excellent idea. Please post it.

Well, the TSB states a build range and associated VIN#s:

"APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs between JM3KE****** 486578 – 745219 (produced between May 28, 2014 and Nov. 23, 2015)"

Mine has a Jan/2015 build date, and my new lights are in. Getting them swapped out next Tuesday.

Well, the TSB states a build range and associated VIN#s:

"APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2013-2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs between JM3KE****** 486578 745219 (produced between May 28, 2014 and Nov. 23, 2015)"

Mine has a Jan/2015 build date, and my new lights are in. Getting them swapped out next Tuesday.
My build date is Jan. 2015 too but my LED headlights look still well. I guess they eventually will fall apart like those A-pillar trims. :(

my dealer is telling me there isnt a TSB for this problem and that they can't take care of it. Does anyone actually know the Mazda TSB # for this job.

my dealer is telling me there isnt a TSB for this problem and that they can't take care of it. Does anyone actually know the Mazda TSB # for this job.

Considering you're in the boonies, not sure I can recommend you going to a different dealership.

my dealer is 1.5 miles from my house, the next closest one is 30 miles away which isnt horrible. I just dont think I should have to use another dealer when they are all Mazda. I have been using them since 2005 when I bought my Mazda 6 from them new. They are becoming more and more hard to deal with it seems though. My CX-5 is in there quite often for dumb little things that keep breaking. I am battling with them now about my transmission too. It clunks when you come to a stop. They said its normal in the CX-5 so I test drove a brand new one and it doesnt do it. I then proceeded to go right into the service area and asked the manager to go for a ride with me in mine and the brand new one. PITA

my dealer is 1.5 miles from my house, the next closest one is 30 miles away which isnt horrible. I just dont think I should have to use another dealer when they are all Mazda. I have been using them since 2005 when I bought my Mazda 6 from them new. They are becoming more and more hard to deal with it seems though. My CX-5 is in there quite often for dumb little things that keep breaking. I am battling with them now about my transmission too. It clunks when you come to a stop. They said its normal in the CX-5 so I test drove a brand new one and it doesnt do it. I then proceeded to go right into the service area and asked the manager to go for a ride with me in mine and the brand new one. PITA

The link to the TSB can be found on page one of this thread. I recommend you print it off and take it with you to show the service guys. I did just that and when I went to pick my car up they said they didn't think it was bad enough to change yet. I said that was BS and asked them to get approval from their district manager or I would be calling Mazda North America and get approval from them. My thinking is that I'd rather have replaced sooner rather then later incase another problem creeps up with the new headlights, that way I have more time on my 3 year warranty to get things sorted. A week later I was informed that new headlights were in and ready to be installed. I got new light on both sides, the defect was pretty easy to see so I'm surprised I had a bit of a battle about it to begin with.

The foggy film was present on the HID lens as well!

The foggy film was present inside the HID lens as well, but there was never a TSB that I was aware of. My only fear was that it would spread and intensify as the weather changed. The HID fixture was about $1k as well$...#%#. Bulb was extra...ouch!

It has also begun on the inside of MY "new" Lexus Hid fixture as well. However The Lexus is a bit over 3yrs old and the remainder of that warrantee remains in effect. Not that I have needed anything major, but the Lexus Dealership has happily offered to replace anything that bothered me for free. During the replacement (under warrantee) of the rear cargo mat (A SMALL PIECE OF THE RUBBER GROMMET HAD BEGAN TO TEAR...THEY OFFERED AND I ACCEPTED :)! I SURE HOPE THAT THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF SOME FABULOUS SERVICE AHEAD!!!! :)

just noticed that I have begun posting in the Mazda Forum at a rate equal th that when I first joined...The Lexus seems to have gotten the "juices flowing once again!

=

Last edited:
Back