Crankshaft bolt

Scottscott

:
06 Mazda 3
Soooo.. I am try to remove the crankshaft bolt on a Mazda 2.3 but I can't get it to break loose!! Are the threads in it clockwise or counter?? My Chevy was counterclockwise.. This is my first time on a Mazda so it's new to me. Also I was reading about washers that a specially made for it.. Where is a good place to order them ?? Thanks for any input, Scott

Unless you have the special tools to hold the cams and crank in place DO NOT remove the crank bolt. The crank timing gear is not keyed to the crank, so it will spin on the crank when bolt is loosened. You can bend valves if you don't do it the proper way.

Do a search on the subject... It's been covered before. Some may tell you it's fine to not lock the cams, but they won't be paying for an engine replacement if a cam slips and pistons kiss the valves. Or paying for a tow to the dealer when it won't run because timing is messed up.

I don't normally browse the 3 forums anymore, but noticed this on the right for recent posts. Hopefully you see this before it's too late.

Last edited:
Back