CX-5 Ignition won't shut off, the engine shut off while driving on the highway...

saltwatergirl

:
Mazda CX-5
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend -

On March 12th I traded my Ford Explorer for a "loaded" Mazda CX-5 G/T with the i-Activesense package. What started out as a fun new adventure has gone south, quickly. I love the car, except for the following:

On the second day driving the vehicle, the forward camera (SCBS camera) started having issues. Went back twice back for service on the issue only to be told that engineers first in CA are trying to figure out the problem and now the engineers in Japan. I understand this is an on-going issue with the i-ActiveSense package, and one which Mazda Japan and Mazda USA don't want to deal with (my friend posting this had major issues with the i-A system in her 2016 CX-5).

After having the car for two weeks, on a Monday morning, the car is dead. I call the dealer and they advised me to jump the car.

Drove 75 miles to a client meeting. I turn off the car, go to lock it with the key fob and it will not lock. I get back in to find the ignition is still on. I turn the car back on and try to turn it off again. It still won't completely shut down. I drive around the lot and after about 7 minutes I can power off the ignition. (And, yes, I AM turning the car on and off correctly, per the instruction manual. I checked it to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. Thought I was going crazy.)

Same day, about 20 miles from home, my instrument panel completely lights up and starts blinking - can't tell you which lights, as I was in the left speed lane. Pulled into the slow lane just as the engine lost all power. I coasted into the breakdown lane. Dead car. So, once again I get a jump. The AAA membership is paying for itself.

Called Mazda dealer and brought it in AGAIN for service Tuesday morning. This time they kept the car for two days. Sadly, the service department could not repeat my car's problem.

On Friday after running errands all afternoon, I arrive back home and... I power off the car, but ignition will not shut down. I drive it around the block and it finally is turned off completely. Later, I drive my CX5 to dinner and same problem again. Message in dash "ignition on".

At least this time I have a witness to this fiasco. I call the service department at the dealer and relay my latest problems. I am advised to bring the vehicle back in on Monday. Back in we go.

After leaving the dealer, I decide it's time to contact MazdaUSA. After relaying my story to a rep named Javier, he assures me he will get to the bottom of the CX-5 and all its issues.

After three days we are exactly where we started. Except Javier offers me gift cards for complimentary oil changes.

At this point I have 1400 miles on a vehicle I have had for one month today, most of which is traveling back and forth to the dealership and the dealer's service department trying to replicate the issues I have had with the car.

What is so extremely frustrating is that my partner also bought an IDENTICAL 2016 CX-5 when I bought mine and has had absolutely no problems.

Has anyone else experienced this trouble?? Sadly, the dealer's service department tells me it is out of their hands because the issue has been "bumped" up to Mazda USA. Javier, from Mazda USA said he would keep the file open. Any advice would be welcomed, as the service department has no idea of what to do and Mazda USA isn't of any help.

This is the third time Mazda dealer has had the vehicle? I think I would be as frustrating as you. The lemon law is in place to help customers who have a vehicle that can't be fixed in 3 tries. They should take the vehicle back at full cost or provide you with a NEW vehicle. This would be considered a safety issue in my opinion. Have them tow it to the dealer. Ed

I think that is her next step, especially as the car is a month old and it has been in there for two very different reasons.

As another thought, I would try the second key fob, just in case there is some sort of intermittent internal issue with it. Ed

Back