GT purchase question/advise: Tech Pkg & 17" vs 19" tires

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
Hi there, Newbie here. Looking for advise: My current car is a 1997 Nissan Altima I've had for 15 years. I am looking at the GT model mainly bcz I want the added features + leather seats/moon roof.

Tech Pkg: I am leary about the 'movable' adaptive headlights, it really seems something that will just break down the line and being a P-in-the A. Given where I'm coming from (old altima) the LED & smart breaks are not a big selling point for me. I also live in a city and 80% of my driving/ 20% would be mountain roads hiking/long road trips etc. that said, I do see the value in brighter lights, and they do 'look' cooler. But I am not a 'latest/greatest' needs person. What are your thoughts on my concerns around the adaptive headlights.

I have read a few posts here about the LED but most seem to focus on LED vs Standard, that's not my issue.

Tires: I prefer more rubber than rim. And would really prefer the 17" over the 19", not to mention the added expense of replacing the 19" down the road. Any thoughts on if the dealer would switch out the 19 for 17 for me?

Thanks all!

Hi there, Newbie here. Looking for advise: My current car is a 1997 Nissan Altima I've had for 15 years. I am looking at the GT model mainly bcz I want the added features + leather seats/moon roof.

Tech Pkg: I am leary about the 'movable' adaptive headlights, it really seems something that will just break down the line and being a P-in-the A. Given where I'm coming from (old altima) the LED & smart breaks are not a big selling point for me. I also live in a city and 80% of my driving/ 20% would be mountain roads hiking/long road trips etc. that said, I do see the value in brighter lights, and they do 'look' cooler. But I am not a 'latest/greatest' needs person. What are your thoughts on my concerns around the adaptive headlights.

I have read a few posts here about the LED but most seem to focus on LED vs Standard, that's not my issue.

Tires: I prefer more rubber than rim. And would really prefer the 17" over the 19", not to mention the added expense of replacing the 19" down the road. Any thoughts on if the dealer would switch out the 19 for 17 for me?

Thanks all!

I don't know what maintenance issues will be on the LED I know I don't think there is such a thing as to much light. I would get them. I agree on the 17 in wheels. I would ask for a switch. I would expect that they would do it because the 19s are more expensive. They can use them to help sell someone else. If they won't, one of us will. Nothing wrong with the 19s I have, but I agree I would rather have the less weight and more rubber of the 17s

I can tell you that if you park in the city you will love the back up cam

1. IMHO the 19s just look a lot better. Wondering, swapping the 19s for 17s does that affect speedo accuracy ?????
2. The adaptive headlights are awesome, greatest safety feature ever. Had them on my two previous cars and never had a issue
3. I'll NEVER have a car again that doesn't have a back up cam. Not just for parking assist but also if there are any small children around.

Thanks all!

I too think 17" is a better fit for this vehicle. Unfortunately. I don't think dealers will be happy to replace wheels for you, or at least, they would be willing to sell you wheels but not credit you on you existing set. I tried to do the same with just the tires and I ended up selling mine on Craigslist after some months of usage. The dealer did not want to get new tires at a discount.
Also, keep in mind the lower sidewall will get you better road handling. I prefer the better snow / light off-road performance with possibly a better ride.

LEDs are currently a fad, soon will be a standard feature, then some other tech would become the new fad.
I once got as a present a premium 'industry strength' flashlight. That thing was a monster. Could inflict permanent eyesight damage, if not used safely. I ended up giving it to a friend after trying it for a day.
Perhaps I am not seeing the light, but my headlights are plenty bright, I would not pay extra for any more light.

Thanks Fdew! My first car forum experience, really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. I'm more worried about the move-ability of the lights, than anything else - especially bcz most of my driving is in/around city - plenty of road light. As someone driving a 20 yr old sedan, I've often been irritated by the bright lights of higher placed autos, but since I'll be riding higher myself; no longer an issue.

Really excited about backup cam; the rear vision in these x-overs is horrible! That will take some getting used to, for sure.

I don't know what maintenance issues will be on the LED I know I don't think there is such a thing as to much light. I would get them. I agree on the 17 in wheels. I would ask for a switch. I would expect that they would do it because the 19s are more expensive. They can use them to help sell someone else. If they won't, one of us will. Nothing wrong with the 19s I have, but I agree I would rather have the less weight and more rubber of the 17s

I can tell you that if you park in the city you will love the back up cam

Thx! Good to know you haven't had headlight issues! The 19" do look better, but I'm more function over form in this case.

My wife's GT came with 19". After 36K miles, the tires need to be replaced. The tires on my 17" are practically new after 26K miles. I suspect the 19" rims came with softer rubber. But the bigger wheels and AWD do not help in stopping distance or fuel efficiency.

I am dealing with this as well. I prefer the look of the 19's and the Canadian GS (US Touring?) on it's way from the port comes with 17's. I thought the 19's fill up more of the wheel well = less gap. Called the parts manager and he went out to measure. Wheel gap difference is a whopping 1/4 inch. It's basically an optical illusion in terms of tire/wheel visuals. The wheels get larger but the sidewalls get thinner. Overall, they are the same size. After checking out tire costs for down the road replacement and talking with a few others about ride quality, I decided to stay with the 17's. One thing that may help me is I am getting black factory wheels so the "size difference" may not be as obvious.

About that "down the road" cost... I was also told that with AWD, if a tire is damaged beyond repair there will be a minimum of two tires being replaced. Sometimes is can be all four!!! It's a based on tread depth which apparently is critical to AWD. So that 19 vs 17 cost difference gets real interesting.

Last edited:
Hi there, Newbie here. Looking for advise: ...snip...

Tires: I prefer more rubber than rim. And would really prefer the 17" over the 19", not to mention the added expense of replacing the 19" down the road. Any thoughts on if the dealer would switch out the 19 for 17 for me? Thanks all!
We have two vehicles with adaptive headlamps and would never go back to 'dumb' lighting. You have to experience the difference to believe how much better it is to have your beams always pointing down the road instead off to the side in a turn. As to reliability, our 2011 Golf has had no headlamp issues nor has the CX-5. Suggest you arrange for a test drive after dark on a twisty road to appreciate the difference.
We drove GT and Touring models back-to-back and felt the GT had a harsher ride, plus it tended to wander more on irregular road surfaces. That plus the tire replacement cost factor made the Touring with 17" wheels & tires a no-brainer for us.​
The only other difference which mattered to us was the lack of heated seat availability in the Touring model. We negotiated the dealer's cost on installation at Coach Automotive (Beaverton, OR) and are very happy with the result. One of these days I might get around to adding heated mirrors to complete the winter driving package.

Thanks all!

I think it's not a tough call. The adaptive lighting is fantastic, as are the auto wipers. The Smart City Brake Support is frustrating because it drives my Valetine1 nuts, so it's covered with tape. The Blose Audio is unacceptably horrid and, now that I have it, would NOT buy a car with it. The Tom Tom Nav is clunky and hard to use; even after an update it contains restaurants that don't exist and led me to podunk rather than a Super Walmart that's 15 years old. When I get home, I think I'll put my Garmin back in the CX-5.

`7" tires will be substantially cheaper than 19s that are running $170 to $200+ each.

Get a GT if you want leather, but avoid the tech package and Blose.

Last edited:
This was my first car with adaptive lighting and I will ever buy another without this feature as I am spoiled by how great these work at night.

Back