Wheel paint issue

Socalcx901

:
CX-9
Hi guys, I just bought a '13 CX-9 for the wife today so this will be my first post. (I usually hang out on the Volvo forums) and I have my first question. I noticed that the paint on the wheels is badly stained. The dealer will "look at it" for me on Monday but I wanted to know if this is normal for this model or a one off on my car. Anyone have the same issue? And if so, any idea what caused this? Thanks.

d7f98d198c55a6dc373f798c96a6ecf6.jpg
26689b1d52d03abf024abd379ccfdf4c.jpg
89c55c55ddef23dafd18002e90bd6164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did some reading and found out it's a common issue with the clear coat. I'll see what they can do but won't keep my hopes up.

Look down one thread...same issue. The guy painted his wheel and it looks awesome!

I used to have a Lexus and between curb rash and peeling, the wheels looked horrible. I was able to find a local detailing shop that could re-finish the wheels to look as good as factory new (not powder coating). You may want to explore this--the other thread was a DIY, which I would fear would end up in the same condition after a short while without the right prep work before painting.

Hi!

(I'm the "other thread - the DIY Guy" Hockeye - (Check out my posts and wheel pictures)

My wheels overall are loaded with streaks and stains exactly the same as yours. (Mine are worse than yours). But from 5 feet away you really don't notice it that much.

I made the mistake of letting a friend to try and clean the wheels with "denatured turpentine" - it just DISSOLVED the sliver paint down to the underlying black primer.

So the lesson here is don't use any cleaner - no brillow pads - no "softscrub" - nothing but a recommended cleaner (or mild dishwashing liquid).

It is good to know that if I were really very upset about the wheels (I'm NOT) I could take them and have them 'professionally" refinished - I have been quoted different prices - from $50 each to $175 each. But honestly, I bought the 2 year old vehicle knowing that it had 36,000 miles on it, and wasn't brand new, and didn't expect it to be perfect. So I intend to use the $7 paint I purchased on a few other places on my wheels when I get a chance (and the weather is hot and dry).

The spray paint I bought really is not a perfect match - it seems to have very slight "speckles" in it - also they make a clear coat that one can use to better finish off the paint - but I doubt I will do all that, My wheels overall (blemishes and all), look pretty great as is! Good luck with yours and please keep us posted with pictures and info if you do anything with yours! - Thanks!

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I saw your DIY but my paint is stained, not rubbed off so a bit of a different situation. I'll try to get something out of the Mazda dealer. Otherwise I might be sandblasting and repainting them. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so spray painting them myself will not do it for me. Otherwise I might just change them out all together and get something sporty yet classy. Ill let you know what Mazda of Orange (CA) says.

The finish on these wheels just plain sucks (see thread here). At 18k, mine have gotten progressively worse than when initially picked up (dealer-owned, CPO w/ 5k miles on it), and I've done nothing but wash with soap and water. Very disappointed. Either going to refinish (in silver) or plasti-dip, but not sure I want to spend the coin on them; heck, they'll probably just turn black all on their own in due time :-(

Hey Socalcx901 - just to be clear, my wheels are stained ALL OVER exactly like yours (only worse) - I will post more photos later and perhaps do more $7 DIY touchup!

Hey Socalcx901 - just to be clear, my wheels are stained ALL OVER exactly like yours (only worse) - I will post more photos later and perhaps do more $7 DIY touchup!

Ok, I understood wrong. Maybe it's worth doing a full sanding and repainting Diy. :)

Quick update. The dealer offered to get the wheels fixed which was very decent of them. The "wheel guy" offered to scuff them and repaint them. He would be doing it all in 2-3 hours. Given the state of the wheels I am not confident it will actually be an improvement after he is done with them so I'm holding off a little. I think they should be sandblasted and completely repainted.

0c9ba7ab1a3c54946ee77189c53752ac.jpg
26c9031ac0ebb1dc201a177f5e8b0f7e.jpg

I'd take the dealer up on his offer and if the fix doesn't last it's up to you if you want to get them fully refinished. I doubt the dealer is going to take it as far as a full sandblast and refinish on a used car the you agreed to buy then later took issue with the wheels. You might have been able to work getting them fully refinished into the deal had you negotiated it as part of the sale but at this point the dealer is really only doing this as goodwill and I think his offer to scuff and re-paint them is reasonable.

is this a problem only on the 20" wheels ? I have the 18" wheels, and don't see staining like that,
I mean there's spots here and there that I can't get rid of, but that's expected.
could it be hard water (calcium, lime, deposits, etc) in your area? maybe need to add an in-line filter to water hose

maybe speak with dealer and ask for an even swap ? swap out the 20" for 18",
you'll get less harsher ride and slighty improved MPG and no more worries about wheel finish ?

or swap with a fellow 18" CX-9 owner who wants 20" wheels ?

What is the dealer/Mazda response to this wheel finish issue? Started off a beautiful silver and now mostly black with primer gray.

The issue I have with my CX-9 is the brilliant silver paint is fading off and you can see the black undercoat. I currently have a call into Mazda corporate to see if they'll take care of this issue for me. If you're having the same problem, I'd put a call into them ASAP. From what I'm reading, there are other people with the same issues. Mazda Corporate 1-800-222-5500, when prompted dial #2, then dial ext. 1052.

My 2016 CX-9 with 19k miles also has the wheel problem. I just purchased the car on Friday. Saturday I went to local Mazda dealer and asked if they can be replaced under warranty. Monday morning service called me and said they are ordering new rims. Will have them installed this Friday. Have to admit Im pretty impressed with the customer service. Never did business before with this dealer either. This is my first Mazda.

Back