Checking and changing transmission fluid?

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
I changed transmission fluid in a friends Ford Ranger and thought about the CX-5. I remember in the sales process, the salesman bragged about the fact that Skyactiv transmission are fully sealed and requires no maintenance. I called BS on him and said that transmission fluid breaks down, especially with breather tubes allowing moisture, dirt, etc. into the transmission, so it will need a change one day. I've never changed transmission fluid on a sealed unit, but I was told by a friend that sealed transmissions have a fill hole, covered by a cap, and a drain plug, and a fluid level plug. If you pull out the fluid level plug and some ATF dribbles out, then the level is good. If it's bone dry, you need to add some. Does this apply to skyactiv transmissions?

My 2002 Acura MDX didn't have a fill hole on the transmission. What people did was to drain it and add thru the dipstick hole and repeat for 3 times to get like 75% of fluid changed. You have to take it to dealer or transmission place in order to get it completely flushed.

Lots of info here from these threads:

Automatic Transmission Fluid - Can you change it?
Change automatic transmission fluid?
Skyactiv 6 auto - flush or drain?

Out of curiosity I need to look for the dipstick. Looks like it is secured with a bolt like my Infiniti is.
attachment.php
Went out and checked it. Fluid is clear and bolt is 10mm
e3e14d5488cd835b62ce5e6b0121af99.jpg
39156a5a2489f774b74d3e5eb0e8f428.jpg
f4962d0db944c70474f8eb8eb5351b7f.jpg

Has a small dipstick underneath the air cleaner box. You can access it better from the underneath when you remove the bottom cover.

My 2002 Acura MDX didn't have a fill hole on the transmission. What people did was to drain it and add thru the dipstick hole and repeat for 3 times to get like 75% of fluid changed. You have to take it to dealer or transmission place in order to get it completely flushed.
Your MDX does have a fill hole. It's on top of the transmission. It's usually a 17 mm bolt. If you had the oil jet kit which was a bulletin installed, you remove the oil jet kit by pulling the 12mm bolt that held it in a full from there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back