2015 CX-9 Emergency key question.

Capt Bill

:
Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello all.

I need to get a replacement "blade" for an extra fob I have for my 2015 CX-9 GT. I can get what looks like an exact replacement on eBay but it says, no chip.

At the dealer, the service manager says it has a chip but the parts counter guy says it doesn't.

I've searched the forum but only find threads relating to older models.

Does anybody have any insight to this question?

Thanks

Bill

My 2015 only came with 1 flip out key when i bought it. And of course in the 1st month, my wife locked the key in the car with our son inside.

I got 3 older just regular Mazda keys for like $3 a piece. And had them cut to match my flip key. It works just fine for the doors. But will not start the CX9. Only my original flip out key will actually start the cx9.

:edit:
Just went out to see what exactly happens when you try it. The key without the chip goes in the ignition, turns just fine. Radio kicks on and everything, but the starter never even makes an effort. And the Security light on the dash goes into freak out mode flashing.

Last edited:
All mazdas now use pats. Key has to be programmed using IDS. This one of the things unfortunately u cant do at home. I will say if ur veh is a 2015....if a certified mazda from a dealer part of requirements for this is 2 keys. So if u only got one....u have more then enough reason to go b**** to dealer. If not from a mazda lot or not certified then nothing can do but purchase a new one. Mazda sells things on amazon sometimes. I dont suggest buying keys on line. There are different chips depending on model year vin etc... u could get a switch blade key on line from ebay whatever take to dealer and still not program. U need part number from dealer then get same where u buy if going to do this. Even then switch blade keys...the key part is not that exspensive. I think programming is more. Should be like 100-120 for key and program. If they are charging more go to another dealership. Programming keys is half hour labor only.

They all have chips. PATS. This is mazdas security key programming. Emergency keys which u do not have are for skyactiv and advanced key cars of other models which do not get programmed they are emergency entry only. Cx9 although some are advanced key still require programming of key and fob. If urs is switch blade its just a regular ignition key. Needs programmed. Parts guys are idiots. They dont fix only look at part numbers. Next time u have a wuestion and are at dealer ask a tech.

They all have chips. PATS. This is mazdas security key programming. Emergency keys which u do not have are for skyactiv and advanced key cars of other models which do not get programmed they are emergency entry only. Cx9 although some are advanced key still require programming of key and fob. If urs is switch blade its just a regular ignition key. Needs programmed. Parts guys are idiots. They dont fix only look at part numbers. Next time u have a wuestion and are at dealer ask a tech.

He said it's a GT--so it's not a switchblade. It's the pull out back up key in case the proximity key dies.

Back