What should I paint my chrome vents with?

purplengold

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech and I-ACTIV
I want to paint my chrome vents. I'm thinking about masking everything in the car and painting with a spray paint. First I would lightly sand them then paint with a matte black spray paint. Are there any recommendations to type of paint I should use?

3M Matte Black vinyl. It's reversible and leaves no residue when removed.

attachment.php

If you do paint, please photograph or take pictures. I'm sure it will be a remarkable experience.

Cheers,

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_9869_800x.jpg
    IMG_9869_800x.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 222
Well I typed out a long response, but Chrome crashed and it didn't come back.

Basics were in my old truck I used Rustolum Hammered Black, and liked the unique look:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-hammered-spray-paint

Then mentioned the kits you can get to redo all the trim and how you can get any look you want pretty cheaply.
Here is just one quick example, scroll down to see some options from just this one guy:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Before I got the CX5 I was about to buy one of the new GMC Canyons, and couldn't stand the fake wood interior they used, so did a lot of research and looked at a lot of forums.
Coolest I remember was a trim that looked black but had a ghost wood grain you would only see in the right light.

Ok dang these are all really suggestions that I had never considered. That 3M Vinyl posted by B-ham Gary sounds like a really good idea.

I will look into a trim kit thanks for that suggestion BambooBen.

Yup I need to do more research before I spray paint inside the car.

3M Matte Black vinyl. It's reversible and leaves no residue when removed.

attachment.php

If you do paint, please photograph or take pictures. I'm sure it will be a remarkable experience.

Cheers,

Gary

That stuff sounds awesome.

Last edited:
The pre-2016 did not have the chrome vents. With that said, would you like to trade for my matte black factory vents?

The pre-2016 did not have the chrome vents. With that said, would you like to trade for my matte black factory vents?

Tempting but I heard the entire dash needs to be removed as they are part of the vent. Covering them with 3M vinyl sounds way easier.

Those look really nice, I hadn't considered looking at vent replacements to add some shine to the inside. Until the new cx-9 rolls out I have to keep track of these ideas for future reference and hope similar items come along.

Your dealer will replace it with black from older models. There was a pdf posted here. It was a plastic part with 15 or so minutes of labor

Thanks folks! My dealer just replaced the chrome vent trim with flat black vent trim. NO MORE ANNOYING AND DANGEROUS REFLECTIONS! And, it was, in fact, covered by the warranty. Being able to print out and provide them with CobraSJP's factory warranty replacement info made it very easy for me. Thanks again.

So I printed CopraSJP's paperwork and plan to get it swapped out, but is there one for the center vents? That one and the chrome around the shifter is what blinds me, not the side vents.

Latest posts

Back