MS Versions not coming ... disappointing Mazda of N.A.

SPEED305

Contributor
:
SPEED3
I was really excited in expecting some news about the Mazdaspeed (MPS) versions of atleast the 3 to show its face with the new 2.5 Turbo skyactiv coming out of the woods. Mazda has decided to do away with that ..... FOR NOW. Seriously!

You folks already probably had a feeling this would happen, but I was holding on to some hope we would see it. I mean I love my childish speed 3, like they put it on the article, but cmon man, not 4 more years of NOTHING!! Im already itching to jump into something new, and was excited to see Mazda bring something fun to the table. Nothing in there lineup makes atleast 200hp! That's simply wild.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/07/new-mazdaspeed3-mazdaspeed6-delayed/

Thoughts!

Have a good one M24! Excuse my ranting.

The 3 was the only model that immediately got a Mazdaspeed version. With the Miata and Protege, they waited until the end of that model's life to go out with a Mazdaspeed bang.
Hopefully they're planning the same thing now and keeping it up their sleeve.

Another thing to think about is the new rotary powered car they're working on. The original Cosmo110 was introduced in 1967...exactly 50 years from next year. A Wankel powered GTR/LFA fighter would be nice and the timing is perfect!

It would have been easy to do a Mazdaspeed version of the 350 whp AWD Ford Focus RS. And Mazda could have over the reliability issues we see in the Focus lineup. So sad.

Yeah great points, this is very disappointing for Enthusiasts...Although I think Mazda has a great lineup these days, the lack of a serious performance model or version is frustrating for those of us who would love a new high-performance Mazda!

As mentioned though, we could see this happen if they release a new Rotary-Powered Flagship sports car! (2thumbs) Perhaps they're focusing resources on that instead of on new Mazdaspeed models (remember they have limited resources compared to say Toyota).

Although Mazda is on a roll, they still need to stay focused on delivering popular mainstream models so that they can continue to grow the company and increase marketshare...Which would allow them to invest more time and effort into "niche" performance models in the future...I HOPE!

Although I do like the current lineup, Mazda isnt exactly acting like Mazda. All throughout history, they've always had less to work with than any of the other bigger companies, but despite the things that held them back, they always produced interesting and fun cars. And as sad as it is, I really could care less about any new rotary development. And it is all for one reason, Price. It wont be like the rx7 or rx8 was, everything now is way too overblown, I bet it would have a six figure price tag. Compare the new nsx to the old nsx, a new corvette vs a slightly older corvette. All I can see is that the fun per dollar ratio is way out of balance. Heck even the new miata is too expensive. The miata was always supposed to be cheap. and In 20 years, it won't be what the older miatas are now. Its all just frustrating.

Last edited:
A nice,economical lineup, is what Mazda has. As stated earlier, not a single model has at least 200 hp. 'Zoom-Zoom' has left the building!

When was "Zoom-zoom," which is no longer Mazda's advertising slogan, ever tied to horsepower? The first two Mazdaspeed vehicles, the Protege and Miata, both made less than 200 hp. Also note "Mazdaspeed" no longer exists. The division associated with amateur and professional racing is Mazda Motorsports. Mazda's current advertising campaign is "Driving Matters" and is an adequate description of the direction they're taking as a company. The Mazdaspeed/MPS vehicles were never big sellers. Mazda can accept the loss of niche market buyers and invest money in mainstream cars that are more fun to drive than their direct competitors. This maintains Mazda's image as the "fun" car company while catering to a larger market therefore increasing sales.

You go to any track event and you're almost guaranteed to see some early model Mazda still being utilized for dedicated track duties... There's a reason for that. I feel like Mazda is trying to head in a new direction while forgetting where they came from...

In hindsight Mazda has never really come out with a decent Mazdaspeed platform... They're always half in the bag ideas that never get the time or funding to cultivate them into something great. Heck most of the time they've been swan songs to dying platforms right before they switch to something new.

The problem lies in that they've never been able to really stick with a platform to make it something great. Look at the history of the GTR, Evo, Sti, or BMW's M division. They took the time over several generations to make it into something worthwhile, something coveted. Mazda has never been full tilt with their Mazdaspeed lineup. They've been either too off putting to the mainstream buyers or too quirky for the enthusiast.

Come on Mazda... I implore you to continue your traditions but move forward with something exciting. Yes, "Driving Matters" but if your lineup does not consist of anything actually worth driving then you've voided your words.

I'd argue, to the "uninformed" drivers, Mazdas are considered sporty. As enthusiasts, we're biased. We're also a very, very small part of Mazda's sales. No one who's posted in this thread owns a current generation Mazda so we're not even contributing to their bottom line; why would they care about our opinion? Mazda is no longer partnered with Ford and they don't have the funds at their disposal to create niche market cars that account for a tiny fraction of their sales volume. Also, no company in has ever lasted without changing with the times. It's a sad fact of life, but that's business.

(back from the dead)

magnum, that's exactly our point. :)
I see 5 Mazdas in your sig, it looks like you bought at least one of them new, and I've owned more than a couple myself. Yet neither one of us owns a new Mazda these days. There's a reason for that. If Mazda doesn't act soon, they're going to lose loyal buyers like us. Bring back the GTX. Bring back the RX-7. Make the Miata cheaper and less complex. Give us enthusiasts something to brag about!

I'm so sick of people telling me how fast their Subaru is. When my MSP was new, It'd take a WRXs lunch money all day long in the curves. Now? It's not even close. Mazda's getting smoked and guys with Monster decals are smoking them. (attn)

Back