Install a Backup Camera 2016 CX-5

SilverSteel

:
2016 CX-5 Sport
I couldn't find much info in helping me do this, so I have decided to share my experience here:

Things I bought from ebay:
$11 A backup camera (also came with a 20ft video and signal cable)
$2 6ft Video cable, because 20ft was not enough (the rca kind, its yellow, you want one end to be female)
$? 6ft segment of wire (this carries the reverse signal, any wire works)
$4 plastic pry tools

First: remove rear hatch paneling, there are 4 pieces.
attachment.php

Pop the first panel off.

Remove the 2 exterior clips holding panel 2 & 3.
Then pop those panels off.
attachment.php

Remove the 2 exterior clips for panel 4, one from each side (they were underneath panel 2&3)
attachment.php

remove the two panels inside panel 4 and pop out the light fixture
attachment.php

Remove the final exterior clip and the handle on the base of panel 4
attachment.php

continue to next post...

Pannel Overview.jpg
Pannel 2&3.jpg
pannel 4 clip.jpg
pannel 4 prep.jpg
pannel 4 clip & handel.jpg

Last edited:
Next remove the 4th panel, here is a picture of where the clips are:

unlike the side door panel clips these ones do not break, or I am getting a lot better at this.
attachment.php

I chose to attach the camera right above the license plate.
So instead of drilling any holes, I ran the camera through one of the license plate light holes.
here is an interior view after I have reattached the license plate light:
attachment.php

Here is what the camera looks like form the outside:
attachment.php

Now you need to tap into the reverse light power. I spliced into the wires about an inch before they connect to the reverse lamp.

attachment.php

You will connect the cameras +/- to the reverse light +/- you will also connect the signal wire to the +
This will tell your head unit when to switch to the reverse input.

Now run the video cable and signal wire through the car.

I ran the cable loosely in between the body and the paneling that you are about to put back on.
Then I ran it into the body of the hatch and into the rubber conduit from the hatch to the main cabin.
However, you still need to get your wire into the main cabin. I cut a small hole in the rubber conduit.
I then ran the wire outside the conduit and into the main cabin.
I then tucked the wire into the weather stripping from the top all the way around to the bottom.
I then ran the wire under the plastic trim for a few inches and then underneath the foam space holder.
attachment.php

I then went around the seat and tucked the wire under the side trim.
I was able to tuck the wire from the back seat all the way into the glove box compartment without removing any trim.
This is where I ran out of wire length. So I attached the video signal extension, and spliced a few more feet into the signal wire.
I removed the glove box, and ran the wire to the back of the head unit.

I am going to assume at this point you know how to remove your head unit and attached the video cable and reverse signal wire.

Pannel 4 contacts.jpg
License plate light.jpg
Outside view.jpg
View attachment 213677
Run Wire inside.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Im kinda late to the party but I just got mine. 2016 cx5 gx. It's the comfort package so it doesn't have a camera. Anyway that's why I'm here. There's no much info on how to install one. So I found this kit on Amazon:

Mazda Backup Camera Kit for Sedan, Wagon, Cx-5, Cx-9 2013, 2014 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JROX1W4/

It says it works up to 2015 but Does anyone know if this would work on a 2016 ?

Thank you

The gen 1 CX5 camera, runs on 6V. I don't know the original poster how he did it and it is working for him(hard to believe)?
I had to use a DC-DC converter, from 12V to 6V. Cameras run on 12V.
Redbaron, who is recently back on the forum, had a nice write up about this.

The gen 1 CX5 camera, runs on 6V. I don't know the original poster how he did it and it is working for him(hard to believe)?
I had to use a DC-DC converter, from 12V to 6V. Cameras run on 12V.
Redbaron, who is recently back on the forum, had a nice write up about this.

Dayyum! I'd completely forgotten this. Your memory is better than mine tibimakai!

This was the first post of a couple on this topic: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...th-aftermarket-stereo.123837355/#post-6278042

Am I missing something here?
Doesn't the 16 come with a backup camera? Mine did.
When the 16 first came out the backup camera was only standard on the GT.
They added the camera across the range a few months later and called these cars the 2016.5's.

Don't think so.
I have a 16 Touring purchased Apr 13, 2015 and it has backup camera. It's not a 16.5.

When the 16 first came out the backup camera was only standard on the GT.
They added the camera across the range a few months later and called these cars the 2016.5's

Back