Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers..........

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Yes the cx-5 looks good doesn't it.
    Not just stuck up like a after thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blondee_yvr View Post
    Yikes. Is that the CX-5 version? The Mazda3 version (2014 to present) looks like this:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

If these stuck on there screens, don't work as you would like them, with what else you can replace with? Nothing, you are stuck with it, until you own the vehicle. They have proprietary connectors, much harder to connect other aftermarket stuff to them as well.
    I guess, when you are in the process of buying the car, you really have to sit down and test all of the features that has, to be sure that you are OK with them. But what if, later on you upgrade your phone and it doesn't work as before?

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Post warranty... if I can get an aftermarket unit with native connectivity to all existing pieces of current nav (customization, Bose, camera, etc... I might look into one of these various units on eBay for '13-'15 CX-5.

NB1 Navigation Updates (985 NEW-2/2017) / Why Mazda moly oil? - Mazda TSBs / My Misc add-ons / Mazda owners manuals / SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

==================
    Current Vehicles:

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package & i-ACTIV AWD - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 34.5K Miles
    '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150) / Torsen with ATRAC AWD
    '07 Infiniti G35x w/tech (Nissan Skyline V36) / ATTESA E-TS AWD
    '00 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L TJ - 5 speed / NP231 PT Transfer Case
    ==================
    Former Vehicles:

'02 Nissan Maxima GLE (Nissan Cefiro)
    '96 Ford Explorer 5.0L / AWD - Borg Warner 4404 viscous coupling
    '96 Mazda Protege LX (Mazda Familia (BH))
    '87 Nissan Maxima SE (Nissan Bluebird U11)
    '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo (2-stroke motor would probably use less oil/150 miles per quart)
    '82 Buick Skylark (JUNK)

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Post warranty... if I can get an aftermarket unit with native connectivity to all existing pieces of current nav (customization, Bose, camera, etc... I might look into one of these various units on eBay for '13-'15 CX-5.

The price is nice. I'm always weary of Android devices now days that have less than 2GB RAM. You might find it to slow and frustrating. In fact, the Rockchip thus uses is very very slow.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 11-05-2016 at 06:57 PM.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    The price is nice. I'm always weary of Android devices now days that have less than 2GB RAM. You might find it to slow and frustrating.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    That's a good point to consider. I use a lot of low end Android stuff for home automation and while it works fine for basically headless operations....it would be a challenging end user experience if I utilized as my everyday device.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

You can change that, but the one like in the Mazda 3?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT 2016.5

While we're waiting for Mazda to implement Android Auto head unit, Google just made it a bit easier for everyone to use AA: https://blog.google/products/android...-in-every-car/

Registered Member

16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech

yeah, I downloaded the new AA update on my phone and without playing with it too much, seems nice. In fact, with my mount I recently bought its a nice setup. Just brief things I noticed so far. You can have it setup to automatically launch when connected to whatever bluetooth device of your choosing. Of course, it launches when my phone connects to my Mazda. Everything is easy to touch. Clean and sharp looking. Basically all I can say at this point. Will see what happens when texts come in. If it's a pretty automated response and allows for easy replying via voice, I'll be happy. I'll also post a link to the mount I'm using for my phone. It's a basic magnetic mount. Small plate goes inside in my case and it works perfect. Also, I still have the vent pointed towards me so it doesn't so I get air/heat... yeah you see heritage collision center on my directions list. Somone hit me last week on the highway can't wait to get my cx5 fixed. Luckily it was a low speed accident and is still driveable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple shots:

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jhu8 View Post
    yeah, I downloaded the new AA update on my phone and without playing with it too much, seems nice. In fact, with my mount I recently bought its a nice setup. Just brief things I noticed so far. You can have it setup to automatically launch when connected to whatever bluetooth device of your choosing. Of course, it launches when my phone connects to my Mazda. Everything is easy to touch. Clean and sharp looking. Basically all I can say at this point. Will see what happens when texts come in. If it's a pretty automated response and allows for easy replying via voice, I'll be happy. I'll also post a link to the mount I'm using for my phone. It's a basic magnetic mount. Small plate goes inside in my case and it works perfect. Also, I still have the vent pointed towards me so it doesn't so I get air/heat... yeah you see heritage collision center on my directions list. Somone hit me last week on the highway can't wait to get my cx5 fixed. Luckily it was a low speed accident and is still driveable.
    I am also using Android Auto like this. The big buttons make it easy to pick the right thing and you can use multiple audio sources as input, such as Pandora PBS One, Google Music etc. but not USB/Aux, which continues to work independently through the car's infotainment. Making phone calls is also easy and Google Assistant voice recognition is helpful. I was able to use auto reply to an incoming Hangout saying that I am driving. I suppose this will be the same for SMS (which I personally don't use).

I mostly use the music and maps feature, and because Bluetooth is already available through the infotainment, anything that only requires the Next button to function (e.g. Pandora) has already good enough integration with the car, so I am left with navigation, which can use plain Google Maps. So, at the end of the day, it is only a small improvement for me over using plain Maps + Pandora. If you want to switch audio programs, then Android Auto is definitely easier.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

On my Not 3, AA doesn't work yet. There is another alternative, which is very similar, called AutoMate.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 AWD Touring

One obvious downside to phone-based AA is GPS signal. The CX-5's GPS antenna is very well designed (on the dash, right next to center speaker IIRC), never had it not picking up GPS signal even in a storm, whereas my LG G2, also sitting on the dash, can only pick up the signal half of the time, and is usually jumpy.

Registered Member

16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by sillyxone View Post
    One obvious downside to phone-based AA is GPS signal. The CX-5's GPS antenna is very well designed (on the dash, right next to center speaker IIRC), never had it not picking up GPS signal even in a storm, whereas my LG G2, also sitting on the dash, can only pick up the signal half of the time, and is usually jumpy.
    Time to upgrade. G2 is an awesome phone but with new phones made in the last couple years, GPS works all the time. I never have an issue at all with my s7 edge.

Registered Member

I have absolutely no problems with GPS signal with my current and previous phone. In fact, it works better than my old Garmin GPS.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by jhu8 View Post
    Time to upgrade. G2 is an awesome phone but with new phones made in the last couple years, GPS works all the time. I never have an issue at all with my s7 edge.
    Yeah, still deciding on a phone that doesn't bootloop or explode :-) Was driving to a temple in downtown St. Paul last weekend, using my wife's Galaxy S6 for navigation. The GPS was stable most of the time, but we got several "GPS signal lost" announced while driving on a street with lots of trees on both sidewalks. The CX-5 signal was constantly good all the time (I was using the Enhanced Compass).

Same thing when we visited a friend's house last month in the suburb (a piece of farm land of 25 acres). The CX-5 didn't have a slightest problem, whereas all of our 3 phones (G2, S6, Note4) couldn't pick up any GPS signal (data signal was good). To be fair, it was a cloudy day full of grey clouds.

Given the car's GPS antenna is about at least 1/4 the size of the phone, the performance difference is obvious.

Registered Member

The only issues I had with phone GPS is when walking and when the phone is not active.
    For example, hiking in a forest, when the phone is in my pocket the taking it out pressing power and looking at the map. Thick forest can definitely impact how quickly it will tell me where I am (blue dot in Google Maps).
    In another case, walking in downtown SF, with all tall buildings around, the phone was pretty quickly able to tell where it is, only that GPS reflection from the tall buildings made it confused between the street I was on and the next street.

Otherwise, I have logged literally thousands of miles using Nexus 5 and Nexus 6P without an issue. Because the phone uses Wifi and cell towers, it can tell much more quickly where it is when these are available. Not the case for traditional GPSs.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast