Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texting and driving is the worst offender, causing accident statistics to rise. Carplay or any voice assistant that speaks and lets you verbally respond is not perfect, but much less distracting. Many modern vehicles have built this into the phone button on the steering wheel. In apples case, pressing it brings up Siri and it reads your text or emails. It also will ask if you want to respond verbally keeping your eyes on the road. Unfortunately even this can't eliminate being mentally distracted. I remember just being on the Bluetooth talking for 10 minutes and missing my exit with my eyes perfectly affixed on the road. I guess only self driving cars of the future can possibly solve this, but than what good is having zoom zoom if you don't experience the thrill of driving yourself.

If you want voice control why not use the cell directly?

its fun seeing so many biased responses and trying to justify that they dont need carplay and android auto.

but like matt mcconaughey says in dazed and confused..... "be a lot cooler if you did"

it doesnt take any more money to put it. its up to the manufacturer. its clearly the best infotainment right now and free. it integrates the best of your smart phone into the car and having it all built in.

lets face it, there would be less complaints if we had it, compared to if we dont. esp since a lot of other vehicles are including it. and only arrogant companies like toyota and mazda thinking they can release their own infotainment and think it would be better. it wont. everybody has smart phones and its either android and auto, and carplay/android auto is pretty much standardizing it. only people who truly shouldn't care for android auto and apple car play are those running windows phone, blackberry OS and flip phones haha

I just recently returned from a trip to Japan, visited Hiroshima (home of Mazda) and Tokyo, and what I saw there from riding on the buses within the city looking down into the cars ( some cars models we don't have here) was that when the cars stopped at a traffic light the infotainment display would automatically turn into a tv/ video.. when the driver started moving the video would go off and the map would re-appear for driving.

We've been to Japan several times, and being in a group of 4 friends we chose a Toyota limo 8 seater bus thing to get from Narita into Tokyo on several occasions. It's main screen was on TV the whole way on all those trips. Our Japanese friends have a Toyota car and theirs is the same, TV can be on at any time you like.

But their speed limit is 80km/hr (not that the limo drivers take any notice of that on the freeways - ours was sitting on 130-140 most of the time) but they are very courteous and careful drivers compared to just about anywhere else I have been. Zero blood alcohol levels allowed when driving.

Mazda Australian rep told me last week that they were told by Mazda Japan that a big upgrade to the infotainment system is coming "early in 2017". He acknowledged the poor performance of the infotainment system and agreed that the criticism it gets is well justified.

Last edited:
People keep forgetting that what makes the experience with Android Auto to be delightful and magical is mostly data, hardware and software which is not in the car at all. These are exabytes of data, complicated stack of processing pipelines, serving systems and machine intelligence that no car company will ever be able to match.
In fact, even CarPlay is at a disadvantage currently, because it will only allow the inferior Apple Maps to run (and not Google Maps nor Waze). Not sure what are long terms plans for Waze, which seems a bit stuck and unimproved for a long while now.

Not only that, but these apps along with Android Auto itself, keep updating with improvements and new features all the time.

People keep forgetting that what makes the experience with Android Auto to be delightful and magical is mostly data, hardware and software which is not in the car at all. These are exabytes of data, complicated stack of processing pipelines, serving systems and machine intelligence that no car company will ever be able to match.
In fact, even CarPlay is at a disadvantage currently, because it will only allow the inferior Apple Maps to run (and not Google Maps nor Waze). Not sure what are long terms plans for Waze, which seems a bit stuck and unimproved for a long while now.

Not only that, but these apps along with Android Auto itself, keep updating with improvements and new features all the time.

Actually Waze updates have been rolling out steadily over the past few months. Mostly UI tweaks.

its fun seeing so many biased responses and trying to justify that they dont need carplay and android auto.

but like matt mcconaughey says in dazed and confused..... "be a lot cooler if you did"

it doesnt take any more money to put it. its up to the manufacturer. its clearly the best infotainment right now and free. it integrates the best of your smart phone into the car and having it all built in.

lets face it, there would be less complaints if we had it, compared to if we dont. esp since a lot of other vehicles are including it. and only arrogant companies like toyota and mazda thinking they can release their own infotainment and think it would be better. it wont. everybody has smart phones and its either android and auto, and carplay/android auto is pretty much standardizing it. only people who truly shouldn't care for android auto and apple car play are those running windows phone, blackberry OS and flip phones haha

Well, that's the goal anyway. Right now its still very beta and limited in functionality.

2 questions:

1) Has anyone with a Mazda attempted to see if the USB port part number changed from the 2016 to the 2017 model year?
2) Will a 2017 Mazda software update for the Mazda entertainment system work in a 2016? If so, does anyone know if Android Auto and CarPlay is contained within the 2017 software file?

The reason I ask is this - my 2016 Mustang, I was told when it was purchased that CarPlay would be available sometime in 2016 - well that came and went. On the Mustang forum I belong to, other members found out through other Ford forums that Ford released SYNC3 software files that contained the Android Auto and CarPlay updates that could be loaded via a USB stick. These files were downloaded by other folks and placed out on a drive where we could download them ourselves. Now, with that in mind, this process only updated the current SYNC3 software.

The way the Ford system (SYNC3) works is the AA users don't need a USB port to use AA, but iPhone users NEED to use the USB port in order to get CarPlay to work.

It was found out that not only did iPhone users need to do the software update, but they also have to order a new USB port (hardware) and swap the original USB port out and install the new USB port. By doing the software update AND replacing the USB port it now allows iPhone users to utilize CarPlay in a 2016 model.

Without the brains and help from others across automotive forums, we 2016 owners would still be sitting waiting for Ford to "OFFICIALLY" release the software update across all platforms. The software update passed along was actually for a Lincoln. Now the 2016 owners who needed to use CarPlay had to put out $60 out of pocket expense to get the new USB port - which to date Ford will not and has not said it would upgrade the hardware for 2016 owners under any provisions.

With the above in mind, I'm wondering if by chance someone is able to decipher the 2017 Mazda software updates to see if AA and CarPlay is imbedded within, and maybe it could be used in a 2016 model? Also would a Mazda owner who wants CarPlay functionality also have to upgrade their USB port to one from a 2017 (IF the same holds true like Ford)?

Just some things to think about...

Here's the Ford thread with details and instructions if anyone has a 2016 Ford (or knows of someone who wants the AA or CarPlay quicker than waiting for Ford to officially release it for the 2016's):
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41251

Last edited:
2 questions:

1) Has anyone with a Mazda attempted to see if the USB port part number changed from the 2016 to the 2017 model year?
2) Will a 2017 Mazda software update for the Mazda entertainment system work in a 2016? If so, does anyone know if Android Auto and CarPlay is contained within the 2017 software file?

The reason I ask is this - my 2016 Mustang, I was told when it was purchased that CarPlay would be available sometime in 2016 - well that came and went. On the Mustang forum I belong to, other members found out through other Ford forums that Ford released SYNC3 software files that contained the Android Auto and CarPlay updates that could be loaded via a USB stick. These files were downloaded by other folks and placed out on a drive where we could download them ourselves. Now, with that in mind, this process only updated the current SYNC3 software.

The way the Ford system (SYNC3) works is the AA users don't need a USB port to use AA, but iPhone users NEED to use the USB port in order to get CarPlay to work.

It was found out that not only did iPhone users need to do the software update, but they also have to order a new USB port (hardware) and swap the original USB port out and install the new USB port. By doing the software update AND replacing the USB port it now allows iPhone users to utilize CarPlay in a 2016 model.

Without the brains and help from others across automotive forums, we 2016 owners would still be sitting waiting for Ford to "OFFICIALLY" release the software update across all platforms. The software update passed along was actually for a Lincoln. Now the 2016 owners who needed to use CarPlay had to put out $60 out of pocket expense to get the new USB port - which to date Ford will not and has not said it would upgrade the hardware for 2016 owners under any provisions.

With the above in mind, I'm wondering if by chance someone is able to decipher the 2017 Mazda software updates to see if AA and CarPlay is imbedded within, and maybe it could be used in a 2016 model? Also would a Mazda owner who wants CarPlay functionality also have to upgrade their USB port to one from a 2017 (IF the same holds true like Ford)?

Here's the Ford thread with details and instructions if anyone has a 2016 Ford (or knows of someone who wants the AA or CarPlay quicker than waiting for Ford to officially release it for the 2016's):

Interesting info. AA/Carplay code has already been found in previous and current version of the Mazda infotainment system firmware. So it's just a matter of when and if mazda actually goes ahead and implements the rest of the correct code to allow it. I really hope so but I am losing faith in Mazda real quick.

2 questions:

The best source for Mazda infotainment "upgrades" and changes to the code can be found at:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...o-electronics/57714-infotainment-project.html

Followed this fairly heavily back when I had a Mazda3S GT as a DD, they have done some good work. Now that the CX-5s have the same system hopefully the increased numbers of owners who have some coding skills will be able to expand on this work more and more.....

The best source for Mazda infotainment "upgrades" and changes to the code can be found at:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...o-electronics/57714-infotainment-project.html

Followed this fairly heavily back when I had a Mazda3S GT as a DD, they have done some good work. Now that the CX-5s have the same system hopefully the increased numbers of owners who have some coding skills will be able to expand on this work more and more.....

If you just want to jump right in, the All-in-one is the compiled collection of most of the tweaks so far (the installer script is a Windows' batch):
https://github.com/Trevelopment/MZD-AIO-TI
http://mazdatweaks.com/

Newbie here: holding off on the CX-5 2017 until AA/Carplay is confirmed. Been burned on purchases before where the mfr never offered the feature. With the CX-5 for 2017 just officially launched, NO mention in the press release on AA or Carplay (even as a "future software upgrade" like Ford and others mention on their launches) - got a Mrs contemplating to get the CR-V now. Even if Mazda confirmed "it's possible" and a timeline with which platforms would support that would suffice us to switch back to the CX-5. Frustrating at best.

PR that went up today: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2017-mazda-cx-5-priced-from-msrp-of-24045-300419999.html

Newbie here: holding off on the CX-5 2017 until AA/Carplay is confirmed. Been burned on purchases before where the mfr never offered the feature. With the CX-5 for 2017 just officially launched, NO mention in the press release on AA or Carplay (even as a "future software upgrade" like Ford and others mention on their launches) - got a Mrs contemplating to get the CR-V now. Even if Mazda confirmed "it's possible" and a timeline with which platforms would support that would suffice us to switch back to the CX-5. Frustrating at best.

PR that went up today: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2017-mazda-cx-5-priced-from-msrp-of-24045-300419999.html

If AA/CP are really important for you, I would go for the CR-V. And if you need a CUV with a 3rd row, I would go with the Rogue. And if you like the ride of the CX-5, I would go with that. Lots of choices to fit everyones needs.

If AA/CP are really important for you, I would go for the CR-V. And if you need a CUV with a 3rd row, I would go with the Rogue. And if you like the ride of the CX-5, I would go with that. Lots of choices to fit everyones needs.

Did you drive a Rogue? Did you climb in the 3rd row? I didn't either ;) but according to my favorite reviewer, if it's a 3 row seater you want, the Rogue should be last iof your choices. There is very little room back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WO-BQLLbRs

I've given up on CarPlay. The industry seems to be putting their eggs in one or the other while Mazda has elected to not participate. I still like it though.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

the rogue 3rd row is strictly for kids and they will out grow it quickly and at the expense of cargo room. if you are thinking of doing long drives or want adults in a 3rd row, look at bigger. the cx9 third row is OK, but definitely not comfortable for long drives. the only real 3rd rows ive been comfortable in are vans.

i remember prior to the cx9 release, mazda was telling press that Android auto and apple car play would introduced with a firmware update. that obviously was a lie. we're int the 2nd year of the cx9 and same crap infotainment, and the newest cx5 around the corner and still nothing. mazda clearly pulled out. them not opting in really puts them with nissan and toyota in terms of infotainment.. outdated. Having android auto and apple car play just allows the infotainment to stay updated as android and apple updates their end.

The only thing acceptable is screen mirroring.

Did you drive a Rogue? Did you climb in the 3rd row? I didn't either ;) but according to my favorite reviewer, if it's a 3 row seater you want, the Rogue should be last iof your choices. There is very little room back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WO-BQLLbRs

Yup, but lots of people I know with Rogues love having that option for kids. Rarely used but people like the option.

My only point was really that people need to find out what they want in a car and buy it. If the person is really obsessed with having carplay or android play, they should get a car like the CR-V that has it. If they want a car with a 3rd row but want a CUV and not a full sized SUV, they should look at the Rouge (not many options).

I have driven a Rouge (2014) and did not think much of it. Very similar in ride to the Rav 4 and CR-V.

If my kids were younger I probably would not have gotten a CX-5. While it's still a "family car," with this one we leaned more heavily to it being "my car" since my children are near driving age and we tend to keep our cars for 10+ years, meaning they won't be daily passengers for that many more years.

I spoke to my dealer today who indicated that AA and CarPlay won't be in the Mazda lineup anytime soon because of the agreement they have with their map provider. They want to force you to use their map product where AA and CarPlay have more flexibility. Anyone else hear something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to my dealer today who indicated that AA and CarPlay won't be in the Mazda lineup anytime soon because of the agreement they have with their map provider. They want to force you to use their map product where AA and CarPlay have more flexibility. Anyone else hear something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take anything said by a dealer with an enormous grain of salt. They usually have no idea what they're talking about and just BS their way through a conversation. Remember, they want you to buy a car today; not wait for something coming soon. I had a dealer tell me the 2.0 engine was "no different in performance" than the 2.5. Idiot.

This sounds like a confusion with something that did happen with the real time traffic: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ystem-in-2016-and-beyond-(Good-Read-Trust-me)

Last edited:
You can forget about Mazda adding this anytime soon to any of their vehicles. I read an article somewhere where they are working with Toyota and a few other brands on some kind of open source NAV system. They're clueless if they think they can compete with Apple or Google on this type of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back