Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android Auto uses Google Maps, so it is not likely you will need the SD card.
However, Mazda may choose to limit Android Auto to SD equipped cars, just because.
That may be the case...Why would anyone puchase the navigation package, unless they didn't want to runup data on their phone.

That may be the case...Why would anyone puchase the navigation package, unless they didn't want to runup data on their phone.

With Google Maps offline data, you don't have to use cellular data. You do get benefits with data, like live traffic, voice search and better search results.
I often use offline data in places where there's no data reception and this can be combined to reduce data usage when data is available.

Looks like the new model gets smart phone mirroring?

http://www.whatcar.com/news/2017-mazda-cx-5-unveiled-everything-you-need-to-know/

"Key driver information is displayed on a 4.6in TFT screen in the instrument display, while a 7.0in infotainment screen sits atop the dashboard. Mazda’s MZD Connect infotainment system is offered on the CX-5, providing sat-nav, smartphone mirroring and access to social media apps, among other functions. A 10-speaker Bose sound system is optional. "

After doing a deep dive on G-Vectoring I am of the opinion that the following quote from the above Whatcar article is in error which makes me sceptical of the quote of smartpone mirroring.... "On the driving dynamic front, Mazda is offering its new G-Vectoring Control system. This electronic system works with the engine to ensure the right amount of power goes to each wheel while cornering to make the car feel more stable."

The new 2017 CX-5 would be a perfect opportunity to update whatever software and hardware necessary to get this working, one would assume.

Car Wow on YouTube quotes smartphone mirroring. Usually, these journalists just quote from the publicity pack they handed at launch.

Something that's been on the Kuga for some years now since the latest model was released.

After doing a deep dive on G-Vectoring I am of the opinion that the following quote from the above Whatcar article is in error which makes me sceptical of the quote of smartpone mirroring.... "On the driving dynamic front, Mazda is offering its new G-Vectoring Control system. This electronic system works with the engine to ensure the right amount of power goes to each wheel while cornering to make the car feel more stable."

Don't keep your hope up:

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/6824/f...subaru-teaming-up-to-box-out-apple-and-google

I'm not sure if I read the term "open-source software platform" right. If their intention is to eat the licensing fee from smartphone makers, that's no good for customers. On the other hand, they could just be tired of supporting more than one systems/interfaces (Apple Carplay, Android Auto, and what else out there ...).

Mazda joining this consortium does not mean they will not support Android Auto / Car Play.
Unlike Apple, Google will not lock anyone only into their platform. Note also that Ford supports Android Auto as well ... and their SmartDeviceLink is probably going to take a while to become mature enough.
Not sure about license fees ... if their stuff is built for Android, phone makers will not have a say. If not built for Android (and only to specific phones), then it will be a failure.

Last edited:
Don't keep your hope up:

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/6824/f...subaru-teaming-up-to-box-out-apple-and-google

I'm not sure if I read the term "open-source software platform" right. If their intention is to eat the licensing fee from smartphone makers, that's no good for customers. On the other hand, they could just be tired of supporting more than one systems/interfaces (Apple Carplay, Android Auto, and what else out there ...).

Thanks for the link. Hopefully Mazda will still put Carplay in the 2017 CX-5, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. :(

Mazda joining this consortium does not mean they will not support Android Auto / Car Play.
Unlike Apple, Google will not lock anyone only into their platform. Note also that Ford supports Android Auto as well ... and their SmartDeviceLink is probably going to take a while to become mature enough.
Not sure about license fees ... if their stuff is built for Android, phone makers will not have a say. If not built for Android (and only to specific phones), then it will be a failure.

I think with their limited resource, Mazda probably will wait a bit and put all the effort in implementing the new standard, instead of wasting effort on Carplay and Android Auto now just to scrap them later.

CarPlay is already on the Mazda 6 in China. Really can't be that much work to bring it over
Yes, really. It can be much longer or even never. The Asian market is very different than that of North America. Be wise and not foolishly optimistic. Don't expect anything until something official comes from Mazda North America. There's no point in building up hope and anticipation and only be let down because what you want doesn't happen.

Yes, really. It can be much longer or even never. The Asian market is very different than that of North America. Be wise and not foolishly optimistic. Don't expect anything until something official comes from Mazda North America. There's no point in building up hope and anticipation and only be let down because what you want doesn't happen.

I will stress that I said it cant be much work to bring it over, not it can't be much "longer". Mazda already has it fully functional on Mazda Connect. There's no technical limitation there.

I will stress that I said it cant be much work to bring it over, not it can't be much "longer". Mazda already has it fully functional on Mazda Connect. There's no technical limitation there.
I agree 100% with you.

Unfortunately, Mazda North America has their own reasons, many of which we will never know for sure why they place certain limitations here.

Don't keep your hope up:

well that answers why toyota has had their outdated system for quite sometime, and why mazda keeps delaying. it will be very difficult for them to go up against apple and google. everybody uses smart phones and everybody either has an iphone or an android phone.
apple carplay and android auto built in is just way too awesome. people who dont have it will say "oh its not needed" but when its there, its really useful and very familiar because its pretty much having your phone on the screen.

Touch screen safety issue.

I think the reason they do not support AA/Carplay is that those systems require a touch screen for interaction.

Using the touch screen while driving creates a distracted driving safety issue so Mazda limits you to using the rotary dial while driving.

Will they ever support those systems? I doubt it, but a boy can always hope.

I've given up on the idea that Mazda is going to support AA/Carplay. Very disappointed in Mazda in this regard. Will definitely think twice about Mazda next purchase. Not just because these platforms aren't available, but the way Mazda has handled it. Mazda has been deemed a supporter of AA for over 3 years. Absolutely nothing has come out of it yet. These platforms are the future and with how small Mazda is, they need to jump on board if they want to stay afloat.

I think the reason they do not support AA/Carplay is that those systems require a touch screen for interaction.

Using the touch screen while driving creates a distracted driving safety issue so Mazda limits you to using the rotary dial while driving.

Will they ever support those systems? I doubt it, but a boy can always hope.

This is not a reason at all.
Mazda does have a touch screen, even though touch screen is probably not even a requirement.
Also, the rotary button is sufficient for most interaction and supplemented with awesome voice recognition, you don't really need to touch the screen.
Lastly, the limitation of touch screen function disabled while driving is just software, could easily be changed or completely undone. For example, AA has built-in limits to usage while driving, to reduce distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back