Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a car (2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport with the manual transmission) with Android Auto/Apple Carplay and let me tell you the Mazda system doesn't even remotely hold a candle to it. I'm loving Android Auto in it. It's fast, it's smooth, there's so many less steps to get it to do what you want through voice commands, it's just great. I really hope that Mazda gets it into our CX-5 soon as it's night and day better.

Dumb hype. Lets charge extra for this capability but make sure you have a device to utilize it or you are SOL! haha good luck if you can't get service, or the phone is unserviceable for some reason.. Rather have a self contained unit.. More gimmicks as moving mazda towards less interesting cars..might as well strap a phone to the dashboard like everyone who didn't pay extra for navi (notcool)

You don't need service (a data connection) to use Google Maps navigation. You can preload the map data for the area you're in (or traveling to) and navigate offline.

I would also prefer to use an integrated nav system, except they all suck! Especially Mazda's, which is completely useless to me because it doesn't have live traffic. In this part of the country, it is pointless to use a nav that doesn't monitor traffic and offer you alternative routes factoring in traffic. Probably 95% of the time I'm using navigation, it's to keep an eye on traffic or reroute myself around traffic.

All 3 of my cars have onboard nav with traffic and they almost never get used. Google is easier and just better.

All 3 of my cars have onboard nav with traffic and they almost never get used. Google is easier and just better.

That's cool.

I think suction cups in windshields are ugly and are unseemly.

I buy the updates every other year and it's good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I jut did a quick google search and it seems like I do... did a quick look and next to my 2 USB port andthere is definitely a card reader... hmmmm I might have to look into that eBay listing... have you personally bought an SD card to activate Navigation?
Yes. From that seller for a friend with a Mazda 6 Touring. Yes, it really is that easy. I'm just not sure about the Sport model. You have a screen, right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's cool.

I think suction cups in windshields are ugly and are unseemly.

I buy the updates every other year and it's good enough for me.

Me too which is why i use magnetic vent mounts..from wizgear. Maybe not for everyone but work brilliantly for me

Dumb hype. Lets charge extra for this capability but make sure you have a device to utilize it or you are SOL! haha good luck if you can't get service, or the phone is unserviceable for some reason.. Rather have a self contained unit.. More gimmicks as moving mazda towards less interesting cars..might as well strap a phone to the dashboard like everyone who didn't pay extra for navi (notcool)

The best part is that, at least in my car, Android Auto is separate from the stock OS. You can use the stock OS or you can use Android Auto or you can utilize both at the same time (radio from one, navi from the other for example). Evolution of technology is fun.

I think the next step which could be cheaper for the auto industry is simply a docking station for IPad etc. similar to what Tesla has now, except removable.

Bunch of whiners. "But I need live traffic! Wahhhh!" Jesus. MOVE if traffic is that bad. My god, where do you live that this is SOOOOO important? I hope those of you DEMANDING (crying!) about Live Traffic live in a bigger city then I do. I'm in the 48th largest US city, so there's a good chance you do.
I NEED LIVE TRAFFIC! WAAHHHHHH.
Y'know how I deal with live traffic? I drive in it! I look out my windows. I know my way around! Traffic's backed up I don't need some piece of technology to get me around it. I use this thing called MY BRAIN and my own personal navigation skills! Or I can also use these things called TRAFFIC REPORTS on the radio (every 10 minute on the hour!)
Jesus...
kids today.

And yea, I walked to school in the snow both ways uphill too, damnit!! Bunch of mamby pamby's.

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha! I love this 7.

I just learned all the alternate routes. I otherwise don't see a daily need for nav at all.

AND I actually LIKE the Mazda Navi for what it is. How does Google still not show speed limits? Really? FAIL

Of course, I am going for comedy here and I hope everyone gets that, but come on people! If someone tells me they live in MANSFIELD OHIO and need LIVE TRAFFIC I will ridicule you endlessly. :D :D

I jut did a quick google search and it seems like I do... did a quick look and next to my 2 USB port andthere is definitely a card reader... hmmmm I might have to look into that eBay listing... have you personally bought an SD card to activate Navigation?

Spend $100 for something that literally cost Mazda 25 cents to make? Seems like a rip-off to me. Plus it doesn't come with live traffic either. Don't give them your money and use a phone mount instead.

Spend $100 for something that literally cost Mazda 25 cents to make? Seems like a rip-off to me.

This from the guy that spent $2,500 on rims & tires.. and bought them from Honda. The Navi upgrade was a $400 option in 2016 from Mazda. So if you look at it realistically, you're saving $300...

And, despite it lacking Live traffic (omg, shoot me now) it's a pretty good navigation system.

Yes. From that seller for a friend with a Mazda 6 Touring. Yes, it really is that easy. I'm just not sure about the Sport model. You have a screen, right?

Yes I do have a screen... I took the below picture of my bottom dash... on the left side of my 2 usb ports there is definitely a card reader... I opened up the lid and it's empty... One thing I'm starting to find out about the 2016.5 refresh, there's not much information out there for it, if there is you have to dig through alot of older information on previous model years.....

FoyMuft.jpg

Originally when I looked at adding navigation I found the previous model information that you had to actually buy the SD card slot module which would go in the cubby hole on the left side of the steering wheel (see pic below). That is not the case for the 2016.5 models even on the sport version which come with the SD card slots in the bottom of the dash.. i wonder what i can use that cubby for now! lol

lxuSlDm.jpg

Last edited:
This from the guy that spent $2,500 on rims & tires.. and bought them from Honda. The Navi upgrade was a $400 option in 2016 from Mazda. So if you look at it realistically, you're saving $300...

And, despite it lacking Live traffic (omg, shoot me now) it's a pretty good navigation system.

$2500? It was more like $1300 if you include what I sold the OEM rims and tires for. And I don't think new rims and tires cost Honda 25 cents to make, unlike an SD card. And he's saving $300 by buying an SD card that for $100 that cost 25 cents to make...um what? LOL

sgonzo2k stick with a phone mount and don't get ripped off. Besides, you'll at least get live traffic with your phone. The Mazda OEM NAV is pretty useless IMO, and many people in this thread agree with me. I don't know why anyone would actually pay for navigation, just use your phone or get a vehicle equipped with CarPlay/AA.

Last edited:
You could have bought much nicer rims and tires off tirerack.com for much cheaper. In my personal opinion, you if you're going to upgrade your rims, you don't get OEM. That's just lame. In my opinion. Yours are a serious improvement, but you overpaid. Could have probably paid zero for them after selling your OEM's.

He's interested in getting the in-dash navi. We don't need the Car Play troll telling him "Just get a dock"... ;)

Love ya', Mango. (Not really, but I'm trying to).

Sgonzo2K, yes, if you want a pretty damn good in dash Navigation system, that $100 card will do it for you. Insert, turn on car, bam = Navi. For some reason I thought the sport had no screen. I think I am thinking of the 2014 not having a screen. Looks at Colorado Driver. ;)

Last edited:
You could have bought much nicer rims and tires off tirerack.com for much cheaper. In my personal opinion, you if you're going to upgrade your rims, you don't get OEM. That's just lame. In my opinion. Yours are a serious improvement, but you overpaid. Could have probably paid zero for them after selling your OEM's.

He's interested in getting the in-dash navi. We don't need the Car Play troll telling him "Just get a dock"... ;)

Love ya', Mango. (Not really, but I'm trying to).

Sgonzo2K, yes, if you want a pretty damn good in dash Navigation system, that $100 card will do it for you. Insert, turn on car, bam = Navi. For some reason I thought the sport had no screen. I think I am thinking of the 2014 not having a screen. Looks at Colorado Driver. ;)

Yeah, you don't have a CX-5 Mango, that post was not helpful at all to the question he asked.

2014 Touring has a screen. Sport maybe didn't. I'm not sure. I don't have Mazda Connect or the commander knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back