Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone want to run AA or CarPlay on their vehicle's infotainment system? Even with a software upgrade, I'm sure your car's hardware doesn't have the latest SOC such as the Snapdragon 835.... The experience is definitely much slower than your new smartphone.... Why bother running maps or other apps on slower hardware? The delayed response can be much more dangerous than just use your smartphone on the dashboard for navigation.... Plus, is the touchscreen on your car's infotainment system usable? ... Not sure what's the buzz about AA or CarPlay... Auto makers need to just figure out a way to make it easy to fit your smartphone to the dashboard.. let the smartphone makers handle the navigation experience... Most of the hardware for infotainment system is way behind... While your car may last 5-10 years, you need to buy a new smartphone every two years... So why bother with your car's infotainment system? A waste of resources and development efforts for auto makers...

Sent from my MI NOTE Pro using Tapatalk

The size of this thread proves nothing, my man. As was pointed out, half of it at least ... Is you and I bickering. LOL!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually most my posts in this thread have been discussing CarPlay, and it's use/availability seeing as how I use it on a daily basis, where as your posts(nearly 100 in his one thread alone) are just telling people how you don't need CarPlay, it's overrated, etc...Funny how someone who claims not to care about or need it, spends so much time discussing it? Much more than anyone else in this thread that's for sure. Ussually when someone starts a thread on a topic I have zero interest in, I don't click on it or reply to it but yet you seem to keep doing it over and over again with this thread. Seems to me like you have more interest in CarPlay then anyone else in this thread.

Time to come clean bro and just admit you want it:).

Why would anyone want to run AA or CarPlay on their vehicle's infotainment system? Even with a software upgrade, I'm sure your car's hardware doesn't have the latest SOC such as the Snapdragon 835.... The experience is definitely much slower than your new smartphone.... Why bother running maps or other apps on slower hardware? The delayed response can be much more dangerous than just use your smartphone on the dashboard for navigation.... Plus, is the touchscreen on your car's infotainment system usable? ... Not sure what's the buzz about AA or CarPlay... Auto makers need to just figure out a way to make it easy to fit your smartphone to the dashboard.. let the smartphone makers handle the navigation experience... Most of the hardware for infotainment system is way behind... While your car may last 5-10 years, you need to buy a new smartphone every two years... So why bother with your car's infotainment system? A waste of resources and development efforts for auto makers...

When running android auto it doesn't run on the car's system...

The car's system is merely an extended monitor and input controller from your mobile device and it still powers any apps that are run using android auto.

Time to come clean bro and just admit you want it:).

Been using it (AA) for a week, on my phone. Not a fan.

I'm surely going to try it again if Mazda releases it, but really, as amwayorlando said, I'd rather just have a nice built in dock for my phone and use BT.

You have to understand that other than navigation and music, there are a lot of functions of the monitor of the CX-5 like headlight adjustments etc. Hence the need to make the AA to work on the info system.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Last edited:

What you said you wanted is exactly what Android Auto/Apple CarPlay provides - the ability to use your smartphone for everything possible through the in-car interface so not sure why you're complaining?

As far as the touchscreen, it's usable on Ford and GM vehicles, for example, so I'm interested to see how Mazda gets around that.

Usable on every vehicle. Does anyone, besides Mazda, lock you out when moving? They need to get past that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was given a Ford Explorer w/CarPlay for a business road trip and really liked the interface. It clearly isn't a necessity for me, but definitely something I would enjoy.

As an aside, the Explorer was loaded with almost every option available. Despite having all sorts of creature comforts, I missed the simplicity of my CX-5. Additionally, I found the footwell to be rather cramped for that size a vehicle.

I just got a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport Edition.. I'm pretty happy with the infotainment system and screen, but obviously my trim didn't come with the navigation system. Will apple carplay allow me to use the navigation of the phone which should display on the car screen correct? If this is the case that would be worth upgrading to apple car play IMO if you dont have navigation in your car.

Yes it would. And that is IMHO one of the bigger reasons why some of the manufacturers e.g. Toyota, Mazda are dragging their feet. They're not going to be able to sell as many expensive nav options. On the other hand though, maybe they could sell AA/CP as an option instead.

Yeah I had the same thought....either offer AA/CP... or customers are just going to buy a phone mount and use their phone for navigation... Car companies need to realize that there loosing this GPS battle with smartphones. Either lower your GPS accessory price or offer AA/CP and make your customers happy.

In my opinion GPS will become a standard item in the near future.. why would anyone want to pay for GPS as an accessory when you get it for "free" on your smartphone.

I use a phone mount now, and if I bought a CX-5 GT today I'd still use a phone mount to have Google Maps. However, phone mounts are an ugly and kludgey solution and I would much prefer to have Google Maps on the 8" in-dash display and hear turn-by-turn directions over the car's audio system. I would be willing to pay (something) extra for that.

I just got a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport Edition.. I'm pretty happy with the infotainment system and screen, but obviously my trim didn't come with the navigation system. Will apple carplay allow me to use the navigation of the phone which should display on the car screen correct? If this is the case that would be worth upgrading to apple car play IMO if you dont have navigation in your car.

Is there an SD Card slot in the Sport?

If so, you can just get this: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I use a phone mount now, and if I bought a CX-5 GT today I'd still use a phone mount to have Google Maps. However, phone mounts are an ugly and kludgey solution and I would much prefer to have Google Maps on the 8" in-dash display and hear turn-by-turn directions over the car's audio system. I would be willing to pay (something) extra for that.

I definitely agree with you 100%.

Will apple carplay allow me to use the navigation of the phone which should display on the car screen correct?

Yes, Apple CarPlay lets you display and use Apple Maps on your infotainment screen. It does not let you use Waze or Google Maps on your infotainment screen. :(

So better than nothing, but ever with it I want a phone mount up on the dash so I can run Waze and see it there.

100% agreed- I found this one to be quite effective and less ugly..its better in the x1 due to dash vent location but still..cheap, easy, very non-fussy solution (I guess depending on if and how you case your phone) but works great for my S7 w/candyshell grip case. No I'm not on their payroll just really like and recommend the product:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back