Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also because of the frequent free updates it won't be outdated 2 months in.
Also live traffic.
And again, the voice recognition is just awesome. "Ok Google, play "Kids" playlist" BAM
And it's free.

Yes you can suction the phone to the windscreen but wouldn't it be nicer if you just plug it into the USB or even use wifi? Just get in car and toss phone into cubby (maybe plug it to USB) and you are done.
No messing with cradle, have phone block windshield/AC vents.

And it's FREEE

Last edited:
So I went to pick up my '17 Touring from the dealership tonight -- it finally arrived after 2 weeks of coming off the vessel. While the sales guy was going through the functions of the infotainment with me, he mentioned I should be bringing my car back in September for an update. I asked what update and he said AA and ACP! I won't hold my breath, but if it's true, I'm stoked!! I have no reason to believe he would lie to me since I already purchased the car, so there's that. Here's to hoping for September!!

I purchased my car at South Bay Mazda. If some of you are still doubtful, maybe call around at the dealership to see if they are giving the same info.

So I went to pick up my '17 Touring from the dealership tonight -- it finally arrived after 2 weeks of coming off the vessel. While the sales guy was going through the functions of the infotainment with me, he mentioned I should be bringing my car back in September for an update. I asked what update and he said AA and ACP! I won't hold my breath, but if it's true, I'm stoked!! I have no reason to believe he would lie to me since I already purchased the car, so there's that. Here's to hoping for September!!

I purchased my car at South Bay Mazda. If some of you are still doubtful, maybe call around at the dealership to see if they are giving the same info.

Interesting, especially with a specific timeline like that. If I were you, I would of picked his brain a little more, questioning his source and just any additional info about it. Like you said, why would he lie about AA/Carplay and a certain timeline that it will be available. Unless he just got incorrect info from someone within the dealership.

Then Perhaps I dont know what I'm missing. My M4 doesn't
have it either and I'm really not frothing at the mouth about it.

My phone goes in the arm rest and doesn't come out till I park, so I guess what I have works for what I need.

Get a Tesla if you wand PDA type functionality in your car?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Then Perhaps I dont know what I'm missing. My M4 doesn't
have it either and I'm really not frothing at the mouth about it.

My phone goes in the arm rest and doesn't come out till I park, so I guess what I have works for what I need.

Get a Tesla if you wand PDA type functionality in your car?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Maybe there's not a lot of traffic where you live but there's a decent amount where I live. Having live traffic, automatically, every time I drive would be so beneficial. Having voice commands that actually work for just about anything you say, is extremely beneficial. More and more car manufactures are including these platforms for a reason. They are simply better and more efficient than OEM infotainment systems. People are sick of the outdated, old maps, buggy systems that many cars have nowadays. They need to leave the software component to actual companies that can develop software.

People are sick of the outdated, old maps, buggy systems that many cars have nowadays. They need to leave the software component to actual companies that can develop software.

I think this is exaggerated a bit. Of course, some people are dying to have real time updated live traffic and maps that are as accurate as today (god forbid my map doesn't show me that Starbuck's that just opened hahaha) but plenty of people are pretty happy with these systems. The Mazda one is pretty good, imo, if you can live without live traffic. And I can. Of course, I use Gmaps a lot, too. They both have their place.

Last edited:
People filing class-action lawsuits against Mazda, starting petitions to get CarPlay/AA, asking Mazda PR reps on Twitter, a 32 page thread asking when CarPlay/AA is coming, and yet it's a 'good' system? I doubt it considering how desperate people are to get rid of it. I've yet to come across a auto company that can make a good OEM head unit other than maybe the new Audi system. Let the software companies(Apple/Google) handle the software.

I was very happy with our 2009 Xtrail satnav, it was far better than either Mazda satnav, and it came with a 7" screen with traffic that was free.

Soon as AA is available I will be using only that, Google actually understands my voice commands, unlike both the Nissan and Mazda systems.

People filing class-action lawsuits against Mazda,
It only takes 20 people to start a Class Action. Then letters go out to everyone that might possibly be effected. Suddenly there are 10,000 people in it because "might get paid!" LOL Not a great barometer of quantity. Source: work at law firm.

starting petitions to get CarPlay/AA,

Up to a whole 20 signatures...

asking Mazda PR reps on Twitter
As you know, I read his feed... it wasn't that many.

, a 32 page thread asking when CarPlay/AA is coming
Again... how many people in this thread specifically asking? 30 maybe?

, and yet it's a 'good' system?
I'm not entitled to my opinion? O, of course not. Forgot who I am talking to. I'm wrong, of course. I like it alot. I rarely need live traffic. I LOVE how it shows me what's at EVERY exit. Niether AA or ACP does that. I can then click on the map (because I hacked my infotainment, sure, but) and get directions to whatever is off the exit. It doesn't crash or fail to 'connect' like your Apple Car Play does (or used to, I assume that's fixed now?). It gives me speed limits. It's great!

Why must you constantly argue with me? Debate, and comment, sure. But argue and tell me I'm wrong??

These are my opinions. I am entitled to them. Yes, as I've said repeatedly PEOPLE WANT ACP / AA. I am only, merely, suggesting it's not a million people. Just because car reviewers always mention it, isn't proof as you claim that it's the most popular feature ever invented in cars like you seem to think.

I'm not against it, I use Google Maps, and used to use Waze (it's let me down too many times). But there are 1,000s of people just getting in dash Navigation for the first time and LOVING it. This is my first car with it. I know LOTS of people that have never had and still don't.

Let the software companies do it all? Please shoot me if someday THE ONLY choice I have is ACP or AA. I will certainly never buy a car like that.

Last edited:
Being more classy then most of the eco buyers we never considered CRV.
I drove the Rogue - it was s*** on wheels.
Rav4- did not test drive was automatic 2nd.
Tucson - failed + DCT failures scared me + Base engine was meh.

We love the CX5, AA is just going to be an extra cream on top. Cream on top is 34 mpg mixed driving :D

People filing class-action lawsuits against Mazda, starting petitions to get CarPlay/AA, asking Mazda PR reps on Twitter, a 32 page thread asking when CarPlay/AA is coming, and yet it's a 'good' system? I doubt it considering how desperate people are to get rid of it. I've yet to come across a auto company that can make a good OEM head unit other than maybe the new Audi system. Let the software companies(Apple/Google) handle the software.

How much of it is people who don't even own the car they are bitching about not having a feature that they will not use in that car since they don't own it. (hand) (scratch)

I think this is exaggerated a bit. Of course, some people are dying to have real time updated live traffic and maps that are as accurate as today (god forbid my map doesn't show me that Starbuck's that just opened hahaha) but plenty of people are pretty happy with these systems. The Mazda one is pretty good, imo, if you can live without live traffic. And I can. Of course, I use Gmaps a lot, too. They both have their place.

It's not just about the maps, its the text messaging interface. Being able to just do, "ok google text my wife I'll be home at 6". Bam. Sent! I can't do that now. Safely that is. It's also the audio connectivity. I just got into Spotify and I would love being able to browse my music and playlists from the infotainment screen and not pick up my phone searching for the music. And its also about the POI system. Being able to quickly find something by voice and google immediately finding it and navigating there. Everything I do while driving would be improved by having AA. Simple as that.

But as I have said, not having AA wasn't a deal breaker for me. I still think it will be annoying having to plug my phone in every time I get in the car. And it does lock you out of your phone while its connected. So its not all great. I just think there is no excuse at this point for not including. Suzuki, just updated all their cars to run AA. They're not sold in the US anymore but yeah. Mazda should be able to get this done.

Last edited:
How much of it is people who don't even own the car they are bitching about not having a feature that they will not use in that car since they don't own it. (hand) (scratch)

THIS. (iagree) (iagree) (iagree)

AA/ACP was not a deal breaker for me while I was researching the CX-5 (which I eventually purchased). I'm sure it would have been a great feature to have, but I never owned a car that had it so I can't be sure I would have missed not having it. I am almost positive that 90% of the people bitching about the CX-5 not having AA/ACP are on the same boat as me but are complaining for the sake of complaining.

That said, I am still hopeful for a possible AA/ACP upgrade (possibly September, per my dealer) since it would feel like the cherry on top of what I already think was a great purchase.

I know that, JHU8. Here's the thing... you probably CAN do much of what you think you cannot... right now. What phone do you have? I'll peg you as a Samsung guy? You can do almost all of that. Today. Without AA.

But the leads to a point I was TRYING to make back a page or 3 is: why must we demand this from car makers? To install radios that Google and Apple control?
Why do we put ZERO onus on the phone manufacturers to create these tools for us?

Motorola created a DRIVE app, that works perfectly as I described for text messaging. Part of this app, if you choose to enable it, is Voice Recognition. All the time. With any command word I want to use. (Currently using "AT MY COMMAND").
And it works every bit as good as Google Now. I can open maps, and get directions. I can send and respond to texts. Because of Motorola...not just Google... I can do almost everything you can with AA. And it works perfectly through the BT in my car.

Google finally enabled Google Now always on listening (as long as the device is plugged in).
Apple... ALSO... enabled "Ok Siri" Always on IF your plugged into power, as well.
Motorola's always works, plugged in or on battery. Samsung's voice assistant is rumoured to be able to do this, as well (if it ever gets released).

I want my infotainment. AND my handsfree world. My point is... I am already there.

I know that, JHU8. Here's the thing... you probably CAN do much of what you think you cannot... right now. What phone do you have? I'll peg you as a Samsung guy? You can do almost all of that. Today. Without AA.

But the leads to a point I was TRYING to make back a page or 3 is: why must we demand this from car makers? To install radios that Google and Apple control?
Why do we put ZERO onus on the phone manufacturers to create these tools for us?

Motorola created a DRIVE app, that works perfectly as I described for text messaging. Part of this app, if you choose to enable it, is Voice Recognition. All the time. With any command word I want to use. (Currently using "AT MY COMMAND").
And it works every bit as good as Google Now. I can open maps, and get directions. I can send and respond to texts. Because of Motorola...not just Google... I can do almost everything you can with AA. And it works perfectly through the BT in my car.

Google finally enabled Google Now always on listening (as long as the device is plugged in).
Apple... ALSO... enabled "Ok Siri" Always on IF your plugged into power, as well.
Motorola's always works, plugged in or on battery. Samsung's voice assistant is rumoured to be able to do this, as well (if it ever gets released).

I want my infotainment. AND my handsfree world. My point is... I am already there.

You're correct on the phone. And I will say, there are much better android phones for the hands free aspect. Maybe that's what I am missing lol I am waiting on the new Pixel.

So yeah, I see your point. hands free okay google doesn't work as well with samsung phones though.

I know that app, I had it on my moto x years back. Was a great app and very useful. Actually surprised samsung hasn't implemented a similar one.

I just want the integration into my infotainment system. That's all. It's not an end of the world thing but I would appreciate it. What pisses me off more than anything is Mazda was a partner to AA ever since it was announced. Years and years ago. Yet nothing still. If a bunch of hackers can get it running on Mazda Connect easily(with bugs of course to be expected), then Mazda should have no issues.

I just want the integration into my infotainment system. That's all. It's not an end of the world thing but I would appreciate it. What pisses me off more than anything is Mazda was a partner to AA ever since it was announced. Years and years ago. Yet nothing still. If a bunch of hackers can get it running on Mazda Connect easily(with bugs of course to be expected), then Mazda should have no issues.

Exactly. Some people don't understand not everyone wants to be playing with their handset while driving, nor do they want to download some 3rd party app to TRY and do what CarPlay/AA can do. Not to mention ongoing development for these 3rd party apps can be dropped at any time(Kinda like Mazda's Remote Start app). People want to start their vehicles, plug in their phone and go.

BTW Volvo's new semi-trucks are getting CarPlay soon:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/11/15953774/volvo-truck-vnl-adas-apple-carplay

I don't want or need ACP or AA and don't give a rat's patootie about it but I do hope it comes to Mazda soon so it will cure all things wrong with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back