Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a huge nerd with technology. But my love is not in the mobile gadgets. I love software and hardware. Hell I custom liquid cool all my PC's now because it's so fun to do for me. I honestly use my phone very little. I hate being tied to a phone. At best I text periodically, and listen to Pandora/iheartradio. My phone is always on silent or vibrate. Nails on a chalkboard? That's a phone going off with little beeps and crap every second. Hate it!

And professionally I was doing major software configuration/release engineering for some big companies. And damn right there was a lot of engineering to get it to work. "We want to release this." "Well your infrastructure can't handle that....fine I'll figure out how to make it happen." You show me a jackass doing drone IT work manually, and I'll write you a script that replaces them. I've gone to the process side of change/release management. Some days I miss doing the technical work, but in the end I like sleeping at night :)

As for the ACP/AA, fully agree with your points 7.

As for you Mango... I should really just make an account on the CR-V forum and only post in threads where I get to talk s*** about the CR-V. That's about what you do, in reverse. Why do you care about AA/ACP in a Mazda? You bought your CR-V and have it in it's full glory already. :)

ACP / AA were NOT 'invented' so you don't "have to use your phone". That doesn't even make sense. They were developed to help you use your phone safely while driving. And, of course, to make you love it so much you never think of switching brands. Apple and Google aren't all "pure" here: "Hey, let's help people drive safer".
Yea, they gain nothing out of this, right?
AA / ACP is... an app on your phone. Do you not understand how this works?

Stop misquoting what I said. I did not say they were invented so you don't have to use your phone. Of course you need a compatible phone running IOS or Android to run it. I said were invented so you don't have to use your phone WHILE DRIVING. Then you have this say:

"They were developed to help you use your phone safely while driving"

The whole point of these apps is so you DON'T use your phone, and instead rely on the NAV screen for everything AFTER you have connected your phone. Do you not get it? Of course these apps live on your phone, but the whole point of them is so you go don't around fiddling with your phone while driving. That's the point. When I use CarPlay, I connect my phone, start my car and from there I can do everything using my NAV and don't touch my phone at all. And I'm sorry but if people wanted to use their phone while driving and fiddling with apps like you do or using Mazda's voice activated system to get by you wouldn't have people signing petitions for Mazda to implement this.

You misquote me all the time. Only...I didn't misquote you. I misunderstood you. When you say "use your phone" apparently you mean touching it.
When I say "use your phone" it means exactly that: using your phone. When you answer a phone call or send a text using Siri through ACP.... You're using your phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OMG Make it stop....
28c8037f07ad47b8abc63210f72f5c7d.jpg

Hi all

Below is an extract from one of my posts in the thread https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...New-2017-model-thread-or-fancy-a-second-cuppa together with minor updates.

I have experienced Android Auto for a week in a hired Vauxhall (GM, Opel) Mokka X, Buick something or other in the U.S.

To be frank I prefer the MZD system as it is and I think Android Auto is overrated - (At least in the Mokka X car).

Negative

More often then not the car system did not recognise the phone was connected by USB (Samsung Galaxy S7). Could have been the cars fault as when I wiggled the cable at the cars USB socket the phone would be recognised eventually
You have to sell your complete soul to Google to grant permission to everything before it does work.
The directions screen takes up too much of the map real estate on the screen.
No speed camera warnings - (Unless there is an add on that I don't know about)
The female UK voice is horrible and sounds like a screaming banshee even after lowering the volume via the AA app
The commentary is laggy e.g you are told to exit the roundabout after you have already done it a few seconds ago
Mickey Mouse cartoon graphics.
Complaints in the comments section of Google Play about the app. (The grass is not always greener)

Positive
Map seemed up to date

The conclusion is that I can wait until the app matures. Please note that this is my personal experience and your experience may differ:)

Some of you may know this already but appearently Mazda;s in China already have it.
500_wKjBwVeqkl6ACdO9AAEj7FnwJlU046.jpg

There is Youtube video of a Mazda6 in China running it as I recall.

It makes me think possibly the problem in the US is legal/red tape related. But who knows.

Yeah, guaranteed that the engineers already have this ready to roll as soon as the lawyers, accountants, dealerships, support people, and technicians have all signed off.

OMG Make it stop....
28c8037f07ad47b8abc63210f72f5c7d.jpg

The main screen of the standalone version of Android Auto shows missed calls, recent texts, media playback, weather, recent Maps destinations, and maybe some other basics I haven't observed yet. IMHO, the content they chose to display on the main screen is sensible. Some people like me commute in heavy traffic every day and use nav/traffic to decide what routes/detours to take, so having my home and work on the main page is great. If you really don't want a recent destination appearing there, press and hold it for a second or two until a 'X' appears and then tap the 'X' to remove it.

Yea, there were other notifications there that were personally identifiable. Swiped those away. Did not know. Push and Hold. Can't believe I didn't think to try that. Thanks.

Edit/ it's gone!
Side note I actually prefer it in Portrait mode. One advantage imo to using it on a phone.

Last edited:
I have used Android Auto in a Chevy rental compact last year and it was great with the google assistant on a Nexus 6. Just say 'Ok google" and off you go. No complaints on my end because it was very good at the voice commands.

Wonder if they are somehow going to integrate AA to the HUD...

There's no excuse for Mazda to take this long. Period. Frankly it's getting embarrassing at this point. Luckily it wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I bet they are definitely losing sales because of this.

Agree. Read the Twitter account for that Mazda PR guy. He keeps saying "it's coming" or it's "in development".

That's exactly why a petition won't help unfortunately... I'm sure Mazda knows people are demanding it, I'm just not sure Mazda cares as much as they should.

I don't see the big deal. Isn't the infotainment enter compatible with iPhone and Android? So you don't get the "app" GUI, BFD.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Android does. Since Google is awesome and Apple sucks rocks, Google released a version of Android Auto that you can run on your phone. Optionally add a car dock and you're golden.
Apple has NOT released Apple Car Play as a stand alone app.

You can use BT, of course, and use your phone apps with an Apple, but that's just so dangerous because you need to touch your phone. Much safer if you only need to touch a bigger screen in your dash.
;)

Last edited:
My infotainment center hasn't worked quite right since the day I bought it May of 2014, wish Android Auto could be updated to it, because it's the worse part of the vehicle to date.

I know I can do Android Auto through my phone and dock my phone, but, I'd prefer the build-in-dash to work.

I don't see the big deal. Isn't the infotainment enter compatible with iPhone and Android? So you don't get the "app" GUI, BFD.

I'm not sure what you mean. AA and CarPlay (when you are using them) essentially replace the navigation, calling, messaging, and media playback functions from the car's infotainment system.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're really missing the point of these systems. Youtube AA/Carplay. You'll see what and how much they change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back