Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh looook. Mango yet again whining, bashing, and complaining about a car he doesn't have, never will, nor has any interest in.

What else is new.

Now Mango, show us on the doll where Mazda hurt you in the past.

I'm not a tech guy at all, and right now my phone and my pandora work great. What will carplay improve on? I have a company provided iphone 6.

I'm not a tech guy at all, and right now my phone and my pandora work great. What will carplay improve on? I have a company provided iphone 6.

mirrors maps, live traffice on maps, and certain apps to the onboard screen as well as using whatever interface you have to control it as well as opposed to fiddling with the physical phone. You also won't have to pay for map updates or traffic updates as long as you have a data plan on your phone.

On a rental car (hyundai) I found that the voice recognition is very useful. I would just say "Hey google" and when it beeped you can just tell it whatever (Play a song or navigate me to xxx or how far is it to blah). Maps were quick, up to date, and with traffic. It will also read you text message back and you can talk to it to text back as well (send text to xxx. Ill be home after I visit the mistress)

Last edited:

Many things as mentioned in the post above, I primarily use it for Live Traffic, as it can route my destination around it. You may live in an area with little/no traffic so this may not be useful to you.

Yeah, live traffic would be nice because I am in DFW area a lot. I'm using the factory nav right now and I like it so far, but mainly because info is on the HUD. I had a garmin nuvi in my previous CX5 that was mounted on front left of dash above the steering wheel, and it worked great. But current set up is a little cleaner.

Yeah, live traffic is the only thing I'd be looking for with AA/CP. All the rest, to me anyway, is fluff.

AA would be nice but it doesn't stop me now from using waze or google maps. The audio is already coming through my sound system as I mostly listen to podcasts anyway. The built in nav is really nice but there's nothing like being able to just say "okay google, navigate to descanso gardens" and then just have it work. I'll be patient and cross my fingers.

And yes, AA currently works with all of our Mazda Connect systems. Anyone who says it's not possible due to hardware is completely misinformed (and really doesn't understand the underlying tech). There are already tons of videos on youtube that show it's all down do loading the software onto the existing unit.

Can you please provide a link on where we can confirm this on Mazda's website? Oh you can't, because they never said this. If they did, it would be on their website like every other auto company does when they announce CarPlay/AA is coming.

And please let's not bring up the Cars.com article AGAIN and present it as 'evidence' somehow. When it's on Mazda's website, that's when it will be official. Not when it's put out by some public relations employee who for all we know could be working for Ford next year.

Was not that hard to google it.. why are you so unhappy Mango..? What's with all the negative waves man. Stop being a keyboard downer.. positivity goes a long way...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...rt-coming-soon-including-retroactive-upgrades

https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-to-add-android-auto-apple-carplay-capability-1420694439589/ yes the cars article again...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/13/mazda-carplay-updates-connect/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/532338/mazda-planning-rollout-of-apple-carplay-and-android-auto/

The reason Mazda most likely has not released a "date" is perhaps they are working out the details and if they said it will be here xx/xx/2017 and they are delayed you might get even more upset at he world. So Mazda is trying and for now that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Was not that hard to google it.. why are you so unhappy Mango..? What's with all the negative waves man. Stop being a keyboard downer.. positivity goes a long way...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...rt-coming-soon-including-retroactive-upgrades

https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-to-add-android-auto-apple-carplay-capability-1420694439589/ yes the cars article again...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/13/mazda-carplay-updates-connect/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/532338/mazda-planning-rollout-of-apple-carplay-and-android-auto/

The reason Mazda most likely has not released a "date" is perhaps they are working out the details and if they said it will be here xx/xx/2017 and they are delayed you might get even more upset at he world. So Mazda is trying and for now that's good enough for me.

Bro do you realize all of these articles are just referencing the Cars.com article? Which is why I said it's not good evidence. Let me give you some background on this since I've been following this:

1-A PR guy from Mazda told Cars.com said Mazda is working on CarPlay/AA and is in development.

2-This news spread to several other websites, all referencing the same article at Cars.com. If you look at the links you posted, they all reference Cars.com

3-The PR guy who said this, never again repeated this to these publications.

4-There is no statement from Mazda that it's coming on their website.

5-It's likely the guy made a mistake in what he said, which is why he has been quiet ever since. Without an official statement from Mazda on this, the claim it is coming holds no weight. BTW if I remember last in Dec 2015 someone from Mazda said it they were working on it when the CX-9 was released or something to that effect. 1.5 years later and still working on it? How is it that Mitsubishi can put this out but not Mazda? All I'm saying if this is a must have feature for you and you don't own the car yet, don't go out and buy one without official confirmation it's coming that's all. Guys don't buy vehicles based on what some PR guy says regarding some feature that is coming, if it's that important to you wait for official confirmation or until you actually get to see it in your vehicle.That goes for Mazda, Honda, Toyota or everybody else.

And YES, this feature is important enough to sway someone to buy one car over the other. But speaking from experience I have bought products where the vendor said updates were coming and they never came(Windows Phone anyone?).

BTW, I do believe it will come at some point, there's just no way they can survive without it. Whether that be next month, next year or 5 years from now. But when a PR rep says it's coming, ONCE, never to repeat it again and nothing on the official website, it means nothing. Kinda like how when Trump said he was going to have his general come up with a plan to annihilate ISIS in 30 days, umm what? LOL

Last edited:
5-It's likely the guy made a mistake in what he said, which is why he has been quiet ever since. Without an official statement from Mazda on this, the claim it is coming holds no weight.

Since that article came out, I don't think anyone news articles have asked him about AA/CarPlay. However, he has publicly stated on Twitter as recently as two weeks ago(while not an official channel, it is a public arena) that it is coming...

re: '16/'17 CX-9 availability: "Eventually. No timeline."

re: a coming soon announcement: "While it'd be cool to do that, we need to make sure we do it with the utmost certainty or else there could be a backlash. So we can't." and "I can tell you it's coming. That is confirmed. Customers will be happy with it, even it takes a little while longer."

re: '17 CX-5 availability: "Fantastic car. We are just slow (sorry). It'll be worth it." and "I mean, I can tell you that it is a thing that will be happening. I can't say when that thing is yet. Trust me, it's an important thing." and "Me too. No one at Mazda is turning a blind eye to the things owners care about. We love what we do and want you to love what we do, too."

Maybe it will not help to give any information from Mazda Headquarters directly, but there are so many forum topics all over the world about whether if Mazda will ever bring an MZD Connect update with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

But I would really like to know, how many people would like to have it and made a simple petition about it.

Please, if you all like, sign this petition and tell as much other AA en AC lovers as possible to sign it too!

I do not have the illusion, that Mazda will change his plans or ideas, or suddenly will give us extra information about it, but maybe, if we really have a lot of people signed it, it will help to speed up the development of AA en AC in our Mazda, or at least made Mazda do some anouncement about it!

Here is a link to the petition:
https://www.petitions24.com/android_auto_and_apple_carply_for_mazda_mzd_connect_system

Maybe it will not help to give any information from Mazda Headquarters directly, but there are so many forum topics all over the world about whether if Mazda will ever bring an MZD Connect update with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

But I would really like to know, how many people would like to have it and made a simple petition about it.

Please, if you all like, sign this petition and tell as much other AA en AC lovers as possible to sign it too!

I do not have the illusion, that Mazda will change his plans or ideas, or suddenly will give us extra information about it, but maybe, if we really have a lot of people signed it, it will help to speed up the development of AA en AC in our Mazda, or at least made Mazda do some anouncement about it!

https://www.petitions24.com/android_auto_and_apple_carply_for_mazda_mzd_connect_system

Thanks, just signed the petition.

Back in February of this year (2017) as my Ford CMax Energi lease was due, I started researching cars for my next lease. After determining I needed a CUV, I was leaning towards the CX-5. The only drawback was its lack of CarPlay.

Let me tell you that I fell in love with CarPlay in my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer. The integration with the iPhone is super tight and its ease of use helps you keep your eyes on the road. Also, you don't need to purchase a GPS system in your car since you're using the internet driven GPS in your phone thru CarPlay or AA.
This gives you 2 great benefits, you save money when leasing/purchasing your car and your phone GPS is 100 times more accurate than a GPS running from an SD card with outdated data and points of interest.

So, as I was in the fence in March leaning towards Mazda but holding back because the lack of CarPlay, the famous news from Cars.com comes out on March 13. The following week I walked into a Mazda dealer and pulled the trigger.

Now, in 3 days will be 4 months since the "Mazda news". It's been debated here a million times if it was a legit press release or not. What I don't understand is why is taking Mazda so long to add an interface that Apple is already providing and all they have to do is customize it to their hardware (head unit)?

This is similar to Microsoft offering the Windows OS and Dell, HP, Acer, etc. just customizes it to their hardware. How long can it take to write a driver?, how long can it take to create an image file and distribute it on SD cards? How long can it take to setup an SD card purchase on a website?

I think the real and deep issue here is lack of leadership and vision in the Mazda corporate headquarters.

When you dig deeper into the lack of AA / CarPlay, you can see there are rumors all over the internet for the last 2 years and not a beep from officials.

I believe we should all come together and press Mazda for answers or intentions. If they put out a statement that they will not support AA / CarPlay, fine. That way we can make future decisions based on facts and not rumors.

Regards.

Thanks, just signed the petition.

Back in February of this year (2017) as my Ford CMax Energi lease was due, I started researching cars for my next lease. After determining I needed a CUV, I was leaning towards the CX-5. The only drawback was its lack of CarPlay.

Let me tell you that I fell in love with CarPlay in my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer. The integration with the iPhone is super tight and its ease of use helps you keep your eyes on the road. Also, you don't need to purchase a GPS system in your car since you're using the internet driven GPS in your phone thru CarPlay or AA.
This gives you 2 great benefits, you save money when leasing/purchasing your car and your phone GPS is 100 times more accurate than a GPS running from an SD card with outdated data and points of interest.

So, as I was in the fence in March leaning towards Mazda but holding back because the lack of CarPlay, the famous news from Cars.com comes out on March 13. The following week I walked into a Mazda dealer and pulled the trigger.

Now, in 3 days will be 4 months since the "Mazda news". It's been debated here a million times if it was a legit press release or not. What I don't understand is why is taking Mazda so long to add an interface that Apple is already providing and all they have to do is customize it to their hardware (head unit)?

This is similar to Microsoft offering the Windows OS and Dell, HP, Acer, etc. just customizes it to their hardware. How long can it take to write a driver?, how long can it take to create an image file and distribute it on SD cards? How long can it take to setup an SD card purchase on a website?

I think the real and deep issue here is lack of leadership and vision in the Mazda corporate headquarters.

When you dig deeper into the lack of AA / CarPlay, you can see there are rumors all over the internet for the last 2 years and not a beep from officials.

I believe we should all come together and press Mazda for answers or intentions. If they put out a statement that they will not support AA / CarPlay, fine. That way we can make future decisions based on facts and not rumors.

Regards.
Agreed and nicely said!

Another reason IMO is Mazda is trying too hard to be different from the rest! Just look at those power lock switch open/close position and manualmatic up/down shift direction, you'll see what I meant. This's good or bad. SkyActiv Technology is good but refusing or delaying to join others with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is bad.

Honestly, I think the Problem is: it simply can't run it. Maybe the hardware has been improved enough for 2017, but I sincerely doubt at this point that it is coming retroactively for us 16s and older. And like you said: how long could it possibly take? One guy working 2 hours a week could have figured it out by now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think the Problem is: it simply can't run it. Maybe the hardware has been improved enough for 2017, but I sincerely doubt at this point that it is coming retroactively for us 16s and older. And like you said: how long could it possibly take? One guy working 2 hours a week could have figured it out by now.
It's been said by Dave Coleman and other Mazda insiders that for ACP and AA to run on 2016(.5) CX-5, the additional hardware is required. This means it won't be free for us wanting to retrofit this feature unless live-traffic class-action lawsuit comes out some favorable result for us 2016(.5) CX-5 owners.

Thanks Signed,

Yea, and I suspect the additional hardware is simply a stronger USB port that can actually charge your phone while you use it. Again, nearly 4 months ago. I've lost any faith in it coming to our cars.

If they put out a statement that they will not support AA / CarPlay, fine. That way we can make future decisions based on facts and not rumors.

Regards.

Why would they do that? So they can lose potential sales? They'd rather put out 'rumors' it's coming so people will buy their cars thinking it's coming at some point(kinda like what you did).

I'm not sure what the point is of signing a petition. You think they don't know people want it? They don't include it in their vehicles for reasons only known to them. Seeing as how CarPlay/AA has been around for a while now, I have a hard time believing it has to do with some kind of technical issue and more with them not wanting Apple software in their vehicles like Toyota.

Yea, and I suspect the additional hardware is simply a stronger USB port that can actually charge your phone while you use it. Again, nearly 4 months ago. I've lost any faith in it coming to our cars.

It could be, however I think the "minor hardware requirement" is just an SD card that they will sell you in order to do the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back