Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the downside of it, from a manufacturer's point of view, is that there's probably a fair amount of coding (and then debugging) to incorporate it into your infotainment ecosystem. Then you have this very important bit of code that has to interface with this other device who's operating system configurations are myriad and always changing. There are going to be some patches/updates to your car's software that are going to be driven by changes to AA and ACP. Now your software ecosystem is not all your own and that can be disconcerting. Some car manufacturer's may also see this as commoditizing, a major aspect of their car. There's better software available on phones for everything a car manufacturer's infotainment system does, except for controlling the intrinsic hardware in the car itself. So they lose some control over what they might see as their ability to differentiate themselves from other cars.

In fact at this point I think Toyota flat refuses to include AA or ACP and are very blunt about telling their customers so.

Not that I think any of this is really valid, but playing devils' advocate.

The AA interface is very well defined and divorced from the phone's manufacturer and configuration. In fact, supporting AA means that your infotainment will have the latest and greatest experience for a significantly longer time, even when the owner changes phones and upgrades OS versions, without needing any firmware updates from the car manufacturer.
Car manufacturers have no clue how to make infotainment with good user experience, they can be holdouts, or try to compete. They are welcome to try, but it will be very difficult to compete with Google Maps or even Waze without coming up with a seriously crappy alternative.
In fact, car manufacturers can probably save money by not implementing their own software or Navigation / map licensing.

Even with AA, they can still differentiate their products, with logos, better screens and/or better controls, such as the rotary dial in the Mazda 3 or a better touch interface, etc.

One possible reason why Mazda is dragging their feet is that they've tried to get away from touch input. They moved the screen further up on the dash so it's harder to reach, and I don't know what kind of gesture support it has, if any. AA and Car Play are designed to be used through a touch screen, and I don't know if there are hooks in Apple's or Google's interfaces to support alternative input methods i.e. a joystick or scroll wheel.

One possible reason why Mazda is dragging their feet is that they've tried to get away from touch input. They moved the screen further up on the dash so it's harder to reach, and I don't know what kind of gesture support it has, if any. AA and Car Play are designed to be used through a touch screen, and I don't know if there are hooks in Apple's or Google's interfaces to support alternative input methods i.e. a joystick or scroll wheel.

That was my question too.

That's the reason why I want CarPlay in a Mazda and I don't care about it in a Honda. If I'm going to be pawing at a screen it doesn't really matter to me whether it's a touchscreen in the dash or the touchscreen on the phone. I want a good physical control that naturally falls to hand instead of having to look at touchpoints.

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT with Premium Package. If or when Apple CarPlay is available to the 2017 CX-5 GT, will the Active Driving Display display route guidance from Apple Maps? I also would like to know from a previous post also, will touch be available on the 2017 CX-5 GT?

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT with Premium Package. If or when Apple CarPlay is available to the 2017 CX-5 GT, will the Active Driving Display display route guidance from Apple Maps? I also would like to know from a previous post also, will touch be available on the 2017 CX-5 GT?

No one knows for sure how Mazda would integrate, but CarPlay itself is compatible with active driving displays. Definitely something I'm looking forward to!

Actually according to the last page of the thread I linked to in the first post of this thread, the USB and everything is already good in our Mazdas
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...19666-mildly-promising-carplay-update-23.html

Hmmm...you may be right but I'd be interested in upgrading the USB ports anyway; they are unbelievably weak when it comes to charging. Had to go back to the USB adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter method to get any charge into my phone.

Dudes: time for a reality check

C'mon guys. I want AA or ACP as much as anyone...in fact more. However, the select few who are holding on hoping Mazda will implement it are being nothing more than foolishly optimistic.

As it was stated here and elsewhere, Mazda tends to be several generations behind in the auto industry in terms of entertainment (audio and video). Look how long before Mazda decided to integrate the AUX plug and USB connector when most auto makers had them for many years prior. The tech in Mazda USB is the same as it was back in 2007. To say and agree in present day that it is good is asinine. It is good if you have a first or second generation smartphone or dumb phone. Once again, Mazda is lagging behind. Yes, some of you Mazda sheeple will jump-in and try to convince others and themselves that this is intentional because Mazda wants things to run perfectly. This is just nuts to think this way.

Recently I was at the Mazda dealership and I was picking the brains of a sales rep who knows his stuff and in particular the 2017 Mazdas. He did not sugar coat things....I like that. He was blunt and told me not to hold my breath waiting for AA or ACP in Mazda vehicles. If this functionality is very important, don't buy a Mazda he said. Mazda has no plans in the foreseeable future to introduce AA or ACP. Their head units are not AA or ACP "ready". Anyone who says otherwise is feeding you a load of BS.

As far as Mazda is concerned, the infotainment has all the functionality you "need". They have done surveys and studies to support this. Mazda has no plans in bringing in ACP or AA any time soon, if ever. I guess it's the same type of people Mazda sends people these surveys who didn't care about USB in their vehicles or driving around with outdated maps where Mazda mapupdates is already 2 months behind with their scheduled updates.

So guys, time to move on. Don't be like those desperate republicans who are hoping Trump will in fact speak the truth and make America again.

Last edited:
C'mon guys. I want AA or ACP as much as anyone...in fact more. However, the select few who are holding on hoping Mazda will implement it are being nothing more than foolishly optimistic.

As it was stated here and elsewhere, Mazda tends to be several generations behind in the auto industry in terms of entertainment (audio and video). Look how long before Mazda decided to integrate the AUX plug and USB connector when most auto makers had them for many years prior. The tech in Mazda USB is the same as it was back in 2007. To say and agree in present day that it is good is asinine. It is good if you have a first or second generation smartphone or dumb phone. Once again, Mazda is lagging behind. Yes, some of you Mazda sheeple will jump-in and try to convince others and themselves that this is intentional because Mazda wants things to run perfectly. This is just nuts to think this way.

Recently I was at the Mazda dealership and I was picking the brains of a sales rep who knows his stuff and in particular the 2017 Mazdas. He did not sugar coat things....I like that. He was blunt and told me not to hold my breath waiting for AA or ACP in Mazda vehicles. If this functionality is very important, don't buy a Mazda he said. Mazda has no plans in the foreseeable future to introduce AA or ACP. Their head units are not AA or ACP "ready". Anyone who says otherwise is feeding you a load of BS.

As far as Mazda is concerned, the infotainment has all the functionality you "need". They have done surveys and studies to support this. Mazda has no plans in bringing in ACP or AA any time soon, if ever. I guess it's the same type of people Mazda sends people these surveys who didn't care about USB in their vehicles or driving around with outdated maps where Mazda mapupdates is already 2 months behind with their scheduled updates.

So guys, time to move on. Don't be like those desperate republicans who are hoping Trump will in fact speak the truth and make America again.

Not really sure where to start with your post. But all I have to say is you're a bit of a hypocrite to negate what has been said by actual Mazda reps(http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-promises-android-auto-apple-carplay-integration-94958.html) but think the word of some random dealer employee is accurate and to be followed by. Do you really think I would believe any word coming from a local mazda employee over official Mazda reps?

Also, care to share these surveys and studies that were done by Mazda stating that their current setup is perfect for customers and their needs?

As for AA/CP and their ETA, who knows. Only thing I agree with you about your post is that if you interested in these platforms right now, Mazda isn't the way to go. For obvious reasons, they don't have it (yet).

Mazda has actually said there will be a retro software upgrade for CP and AA coming soon.

Personally if it never comes true, it's not going to deter me from buying the vehicle I want, be it Mazda or not. The main criteria of my mode of transport would be driveability, comfort , space, efficiency, performance, handling. AA and CP would be at the bottom of my list of criteria.

Mazda has actually said there will be a retro software upgrade for CP and AA coming soon.

Can you please provide a link on where we can confirm this on Mazda's website? Oh you can't, because they never said this. If they did, it would be on their website like every other auto company does when they announce CarPlay/AA is coming.

And please let's not bring up the Cars.com article AGAIN and present it as 'evidence' somehow. When it's on Mazda's website, that's when it will be official. Not when it's put out by some public relations employee who for all we know could be working for Ford next year.

Last edited:
Can you please provide a link on where we can confirm this on Mazda's website? Oh you can't, because they never said this. If they did, it would be on their website like every other auto company does when they announce CarPlay/AA is coming.

Mazda spokespersons have confirmed it as reported by various automotive journalists and websites. Believe what you will. As I said, I for one do not care if it comes or not.

Mazda spokespersons have confirmed it as reported by various automotive journalists and websites. Believe what you will. As I said, I for one do not care if it comes or not.

It was reported by ONE spokesman, not spokespeople. Secondly, it was reported to one website(Cars.com), and every other website that reports it just references the article on Cars.com

BTW the poor spokesperson who reported this is being bombarded on twitter about it. People keep asking him "when is it coming?" and his replies are "how did you find me?" LOL Hilarious, if you don't believe me go look for yourself.

And please let's not bring up the Cars.com article AGAIN and present it as 'evidence' somehow. When it's on Mazda's website, that's when it will be official. Not when it's put out by some public relations employee who for all we know could be working for Ford next year.

Oh looook. Mango yet again whining, bashing, and complaining about a car he doesn't have, never will, nor has any interest in.

Last edited:
Few over here are : If it comes, good. Else its ok.
Few here are: I really hope it comes. But I will still buy the car if it didnt.
Few others here: You all are Sheeple and Trump will make AA great again. Mazda will repeat the same behavior that they did in 2007 because management never changes- True facts.

I wish some people spent more on education. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back