Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the obsession of technology today, I'm surprised Mazda didn't have it ready for the new CX-5. That could have been the icing on the cake for some buyers. The ability to show Android Auto or Car play in the showroom would have swooned many a buyer.

Hope it arrives soon!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would have swooned a small handful of buyers.
I still standby: its not that awesome OR in demand. I don't know one person, not one, in my circle of family...friends...coworkers...
That has AA/ACP ...or wants it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not just the software update, according to past communication with Mazda North American Operations about the missing "Live Traffic" on Navigation issue, at least for 2016(.5) CX-5, additional hardware is required for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be working on Mazda Connect.

Hardware for carplay; not sure about android. Apple notoriously requires an authentication chip so no "non-approved" products can use it.

Would have swooned a small handful of buyers.
I still standby: its not that awesome OR in demand. I don't know one person, not one, in my circle of family...friends...coworkers...
That has AA/ACP ...or wants it.

Once wifi enabled AA comes out, then I'll be real interested. I'm not keen on having to plug my phone in every time I get in my car. Either way, I am still eager to get AA. If it ever comes.

As I posted in another thread, this article says it might even come within a month...

http://www.carguide.ph/2017/05/review-2017-mazda-2-15v.html?m=1

I believe it when I see it.

But I have asked the owner of the site where he got the info from and​ this was his answer:

"This information came directly from the President of the distributor of Mazda in the Philippines, Steven Tan. It was also confirmed by other staff members and even dealer people who says it will be ready in a month's time (that was in April)."

Hopefully all the rumours come from the real fact that it finally is arriving!

I can live without AA, but I would love to have it!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Have you tried it?

Think this was to me but not positive. I have not tried it except the mobile version which I uninstalled first day. I don't think it even remotely compares to having it built into your system. I just want Google maps and live traffic all the time. Google maps is just amazing. And with Waze coming to AA, it's going to be an awesome experience.

Just hope mazda really delivers. If they don't back track to 2016 and up. This will 100% be my last mazda.

Not wi-fi enabled AA, wireless HDMI mirroring. I'm "playing" with my Kenwood and a Chinese Miracast adapter to make it work. It works, but it doesn't always work. I need to fiddle with it, until it will start properly. When it works is great, I have my phone on the screen and I also have touch control, except pinch zoom.
I would like to make it to work, every time. I'm trying out, different adapters. Second one is even worse, then the first.
Waiting for the Note 8, to see how it will work with that. I still have a rooted Note 3, running Marshmellow.

Last edited:
Think this was to me but not positive. I have not tried it except the mobile version which I uninstalled first day. I don't think it even remotely compares to having it built into your system. I just want Google maps and live traffic all the time. Google maps is just amazing. And with Waze coming to AA, it's going to be an awesome experience.

Just hope mazda really delivers. If they don't back track to 2016 and up. This will 100% be my last mazda.
It's exactly the same as the built in. I tried to love it. Didn't. LOL

It's exactly the same as the built in. I tried to love it. Didn't. LOL

Perhaps you're right but I'm guessing its really not quite the same. Having it built in has to be different than trying to use it on a smart phone screen.

Why does it "have" to be different? It basically screen mirrors what is on the phone. I'm telling ya...it's exactly the same.

Why does it "have" to be different? It basically screen mirrors what is on the phone. I'm telling ya...it's exactly the same.

Because the whole experience is better when its streamlined into the main head unit. Not having to fiddle with a secondary smart phone screen. Trying to make selections on smaller screens versus large infotainment screens. And with the CX5 and its controller knob, it would be even better.

Strange discussion. Screen mirroring isn't anything at all like Android Auto.

According to Jacob Brown, there is a new Mazda Connect version out last week. It doesn't have AA or CarPlay, but sounds like it does have some speed improvements. Version number is 59.00.500.

While some people may disagree with reaching out on Twitter, I find that if you're not a jerk when messaging, Twitter is a great way to get information that wouldn't otherwise be available through normal communication channels.

No, it's not technically screen mirroring but it runs from your phone. The app on your phone is exactly what it will be like on the Infotainment.
If you don't like it on the phone, I don't adding the commander knob into the mix will make you love it.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope when it comes out, I love it...

Strange discussion. Screen mirroring isn't anything at all like Android Auto.

Yes it is....sort of. There is a smaller binary that runs on the head unit. All Android auto does send the information to the head unit. For all intents and purposes the head unit is treated as a secondary display for your phone running Android Auto. So while its not really "mirroring" what is on your phone its basically sending the same info that would be displayed on the AA app on your phone over to the head unit o the car. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto

Now in addition to sending "stuff" to the head unit. Some car manufacturers are taking advantage of some of the other inputs / sensors that can be see by the binary on the head unit. See the above link and ar hardware support. But its not consistent. That is why, as an example, some cars can display google maps turn info on the driver's console.

I just did my 3rd test drive, 3rd dealer for 2017 CX5. First two said "definitely AA and AC coming in a few months via a USB download." The one today said they were told by Mazda definitely not in 2017 or 2018s. Sigh. Who knows. Thats disappointing. I'm new here but seeing it's been talked about a lot, and a lot of promises have been made. We have a new Ridgeline and love AC. I don't want to not have it in a new vehicle.

I don't really care about AA but that even bums me out a tiny bit. LOL

So two separate dealers said it's coming in a few months via USB download. That's rather specific if you ask me. Especially coming from two different sources. Now the third stating its not coming at all to 2017 and 2018, I suppose that is possible but I'm willing to believe the first two dealers. Maybe that's just me being optimistic.

But it's easy for a dealer to just say. oh its not coming in the 2017 and 2018. But for two separate sources to state a time frame, and a method of installation, I find that interesting. If only they mentioned about hardware upgrades, that would really make me believe them. All very interesting nonetheless. Can only hope it's soon.

Lets not forget the long rumor that version 60 was going to be the update to introduce AA/CP. We're slowly creeping up to v60 with these random incremental updates. I have faith. (BTW, there was a new version of 59 released last week).

Why is ANYONE listening to what a dealer/sales guy has to say on this topic? All he cares about if you signing the paperwork and him/her getting his/her commission. They don't have any kind of 'inside' information on anything Mazda related. They find out stuff the same time everyone else does.

Make things easy on yourself, just assume CarPlay/AA will never come to Mazda and make your decision based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back