Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't have a CX5 yet, I hadn't paid much attention to this thread, but I read several pages this morning. Sure makes me glad I have a top-of-the-line Garmin with lifetime updates.

Not as pretty as a built in, but I only ditched my flip-phone a few months ago, so tech-wise you see where I am.

Does the Mazda Navi lock you out whilst driving? I know Toyota's does ... I would not like that.

Does the Mazda Navi lock you out whilst driving? I know Toyota's does ... I would not like that.

Do you mean, that touchscreen is disabled during driving?
Well, actually, I do like the commander knob that much, that even if I am not driving, I still do not use the touchscreen....The commander works much nicer during driving, is my opinion....

The only reason I can think of, is when the passenger would like to change something on the nav/radio....but even as passenger, the commander works perfectly!

I wonder, if Mazda will finally add Android Auto, how they solve the touchscreen option....some says, that is part of the reason why it takes so long, because Mazda do not want to give up on the locked touchscreen (which in my opinion is a good thing).

I hacked my radio to allow me to use it while driving. I don't agree that it's a good thing to lock me out while moving. Just because some idiots can't be trusted to work a radio, we all have to be "nanny'ed"? How is touching a touch screen really all the different from plain old ordinary radio controls like some cars still have? However, having said that and having hacked mine... I still rarely touch it. lol COMMANDER KNOB is the s***.

I hacked my radio to allow me to use it while driving. I don't agree that it's a good thing to lock me out while moving. Just because some idiots can't be trusted to work a radio, we all have to be "nanny'ed"? How is touching a touch screen really all the different from plain old ordinary radio controls like some cars still have? However, having said that and having hacked mine... I still rarely touch it. lol COMMANDER KNOB is the s***.

If I had to choose between commander knob and AA I'd go for commander knob every time. That said. AA plus commander knob would be like super combo Hadokens.

I am from the Netherlands, where we are used to be nannyd (our government ;-) ), but as you say, even if the touchscreen is enabled, I find it much more convenient to use the commander!

Do you mean, that touchscreen is disabled during driving?

Yes. Even the passenger can't use it. I know - safety .... still a PITA ... why I still like my Garmin.

Well, actually, I do like the commander knob that much, that even if I am not driving, I still do not use the touchscreen....The commander works much nicer during driving, is my opinion....

I need to know more about Commander ..... Linky?

I need to know more about Commander ..... Linky?

I do not have a link, but Google for Mazda HMI commander!

You can rotate, push and tilt in all directions. Actually I do not want a car without it anymore!
You can select, scroll and navigate without turning your eyes away from the road.

Really, I do honestly not know why I should use the touchscreen!
When you are using the MZD navigation, you can zoom in and out on the map.

And the knob has been designed like Mazda is good at: exactly the right resistance in the clicking and pushing.

That's because Car Play is Apple's bid to control infotainment and Google is their main competitor, and Google Maps and Waze are Google's killer apps. Apple did this before when they released iOS 6. But even Apple Maps is better than any car nav system and you get Siri.

Note that Waze still isn't available on Android Auto because the Waze people are working out deals about how much data they can collect.

I used to use/love Waze, but the recent addition of ads and suggested destinations have killed it for me.

I just asked the Mazda PR guy, @TheJacobBrown, (the one from the Cars article) about updates to the CarPlay ETA for the 2017 CX-5. He responded with:
"@bsteinbach Mazda Connect was just updated this past week. Getting there. Go to your dealer to update."

Not an official announcement, but seems like we're getting closer. I'm assuming that this might be an updated version of v59 than what came with the 2017s.

I just asked the Mazda PR guy, @TheJacobBrown, (the one from the Cars article) about updates to the CarPlay ETA for the 2017 CX-5. He responded with:
"@bsteinbach Mazda Connect was just updated this past week. Getting there. Go to your dealer to update."

Not an official announcement, but seems like we're getting closer. I'm assuming that this might be an updated version of v59 than what came with the 2017s.
Not just the software update, according to past communication with Mazda North American Operations about the missing "Live Traffic" on Navigation issue, at least for 2016(.5) CX-5, additional hardware is required for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be working on Mazda Connect.

Hoorah - got a call from Corporate Mazda office today, JP. The guy spoke to me and said that they will attempt at something. Asked me for suggestions. They are as follows:
1. Get the whatever used to work - working. (Choice #1)
2. Get HD Total Traffic data flowing into navigation. (Maybe easiest, but the HD thing whatever I saw is not that good)
3. Get the XM Traffic integration - working. (Choice #3 - since it'll incur consumer subscription charges and I'm pretty sure Mazda won't absorb them)
4. Allow WiFi. They have a software downloadable in smart phone which can feed the data into navigation via WiFi (This he liked, God knows why).
5. Prioritize Android mirroring / Apple CarPlay (he said its in the roadmap but cant be done for the current Infotainment hardware, will require replacement)

I also vehemently complained about 3 years map update and XM subscription being just 3 to 4 months. He took all of this in.

BTW: He's aware of this thread.

Not just the software update, according to past communication with Mazda North American Operations about the missing "Live Traffic" on Navigation issue, at least for 2016(.5) CX-5, additional hardware is required for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be working on Mazda Connect.

Correct. I asked him specifically about the 2017. I assume that they have put in place whatever hardware is necessary for the 2017s. Though that post you referenced is 15 months old, so who knows what progress they have made. During the CX-5 release, the PR guy said it would require minimal hardware updates for older lines. I'm personally just intrigued by the fact that there may be a newer version of Mazda Connect than what was shipped on the 2017s.

Correct. I asked him specifically about the 2017. I assume that they have put in place whatever hardware is necessary for the 2017s. Though that post you referenced is 15 months old, so who knows what progress they have made. During the CX-5 release, the PR guy said it would require minimal hardware updates for older lines. I'm personally just intrigued by the fact that there may be a newer version of Mazda Connect than what was shipped on the 2017s.
This thread also started more than 13 months ago ⋯ ;) For 2017 it's very likely the infotainment system has additional hardware to support ACP and AA. I hope it's happening very soon like Jacob Brown said. And hopefully there's a free hardware upgrade for 2016(.5) due to the missing "Live Traffic" feature!

I can't believe someone complained about the XM trial length. Omg. That has nothing to do with Mazda. And how long should it be? It's a trial. 4 months is long enough to know if you want to pay for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Why are bugging this guy over Twitter? He knows just as much as you do regarding when/if it will get implemented. Also if you notice, he only mentioned the whole CarPlay thing once and never did again in any other publication. Even in his reply to you he basically said nothing. Wouldn't surprise me if Mazda told him to keep his mouth shut about CarPlay.

When/if it becomes available, you will know at the same time as this guy as there will be articles all over the internet about it. I prefer how Ford handles their CarPlay implementations in older vehicles, no 'promises' its coming just announce it and make it available same day to their customers:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/...droid-auto-apple-carplay-update-2016-vehicles

That's kind of a big reason I like Twitter, getting a reply from big companies. A single tweet isn't really "bugging the guy". Do you even Tweet, bro?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't use Twitter, but there's a difference between getting a reply from someone who works at the company vs getting a reply from the company itself. Had the CarPlay news come from @MazdaUSA it would be a totally different. Instead it's coming from a guy who told ONE SINGLE publication, and never once said it again. That should tell you something.

If you look at the first post on this thread, someone from MazdaUSA said it was in development and 'was ready' for new vehicles. This was over a year ago and nothing in the CX-5.

No sense in asking Mazda over and over again for this, they're aware people are asking for it. If it ever is announce, you can be sure it they will post it on their website and put out a press release for it. As far as it will ever come, who knows...

I don't use Twitter, but there's a difference between getting a reply from someone who works at the company vs getting a reply from the company itself.

You know that companies can't actually type and talk, right? It's *always* someone who works at the company doing it. I'm sure you did see Jacob's job title too, right? It's not like he's a janitor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back