Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
WhatIfIToldYou.jpg

Mazda has shifted to wanting a premium feel / stance. That is the going statement across the board. They may have decided that there is enough clamoring for this feature that its time to pull the trigger. Because at this point its Mazda and Toyota that don't have a model with Carplay / AA.

Nissan as well doesn't have it. But out of the 3 (mazda, toyota, nissan).. Mazda seems to be making the most news about having it "soon"

Toyota I believe is firm about not conforming and trying to build on their crappy system entune or whatever its called. No idea what nissan thinks about it. EDIT: I just saw its in vehicles in Japan already and Android site says coming soon. I think toyota's popularity can allow it to still sell its vehicles without it. Mazda I dont think has that popularity. I would think even Honda could still sell well without it, I mean they did with the previous gen CRV. So adding AA/Carplay on the Mazdas will def help.

Nissan as well doesn't have it. But out of the 3 (mazda, toyota, nissan).. Mazda seems to be making the most news about having it "soon"

Toyota I believe is firm about not conforming and trying to build on their crappy system entune or whatever its called. No idea what nissan thinks about it. EDIT: I just saw its in vehicles in Japan already and Android site says coming soon. I think toyota's popularity can allow it to still sell its vehicles without it. Mazda I dont think has that popularity. I would think even Honda could still sell well without it, I mean they did with the previous gen CRV. So adding AA/Carplay on the Mazdas will def help.

I definitely agree with this. Mazda is not big or popular enough to not include basic features like AA/Carplay. These are starting to become a standard feature on many vehicles and Mazda really needs to jump on it. A simple addition that can really make their line of vehicles more attractive.

Japanese manufacturers tend not to like to have outside brands in their cars. Having Bose (or other system) is fairly recent. Also if you think Japan is technologically advanced, they aren't. It took years for iPhones to catch on here with younger folks. Around half the homes still don't have internet, most offices still use fax machines frequently, ATMs still close at night, and you can buy VCR's and cassette tapes everywhere.
This may explain why the Carplay and AA systems are taking a while.

Car companies were slow to adopt it in general because the fact is: it's still not that in demand. Sure you read forums like this one that have a 20+ page thread talking about it, but for Joe Average on the street? They aren't screaming for it. AA and ACP are not selling that many cars. I work with 40 people. Not one has either in their car and we're talking everything from an Audi S8, several Mercedes, Jeep, down to the latest Chevy SS. It's just not that in demand yet. That's why some car companies are hesitant to adopt it. Will it REALLY take off? Surely, it will. A woman I work with bought a Highlander. I tried explaining to her about AA and how she might like it. "Nah, I like the system Toyota has". It reads her texts, has decent Navi. She has no need or desire to use AA versus what Toyota already offers.

Japanese manufacturers tend not to like to have outside brands in their cars. Having Bose (or other system) is fairly recent. Also if you think Japan is technologically advanced, they aren't. It took years for iPhones to catch on here with younger folks. Around half the homes still don't have internet, most offices still use fax machines frequently, ATMs still close at night, and you can buy VCR's and cassette tapes everywhere.
This may explain why the Carplay and AA systems are taking a while.

At least you guys have fancier toilets with the whole control panel :)

intuitively i think it would benefit a smaller brand like Mazda to put AA/Carplay in because they then don't need to spend further on R&D on infotainment once the groundwork is laid and can spend that $ on the next generation of SkyActiv, G-vectoring, or safety tech. i'm sure i'm naive about what kind of incentives they have to have proprietary tech allowing them to get deals with navigation companies, third-party apps, etc. but i just don't think it's worth the trouble in the long-run as people move towards AA/CP.

Car companies were slow to adopt it in general because the fact is: it's still not that in demand. Sure you read forums like this one that have a 20+ page thread talking about it, but for Joe Average on the street? They aren't screaming for it. AA and ACP are not selling that many cars. I work with 40 people. Not one has either in their car and we're talking everything from an Audi S8, several Mercedes, Jeep, down to the latest Chevy SS. It's just not that in demand yet. That's why some car companies are hesitant to adopt it. Will it REALLY take off? Surely, it will. A woman I work with bought a Highlander. I tried explaining to her about AA and how she might like it. "Nah, I like the system Toyota has". It reads her texts, has decent Navi. She has no need or desire to use AA versus what Toyota already offers.

That's pretty much where I am. Don't really care about it. We use the system in my husband's Tacoma exactly like that... it reads text messages, and has a nav system. The DVD-based nav in my Escape is broken (something shifted inside and the disc is unreadable more often than not) so I just go with out. It doesn't have Bluetooth or USB, so... something like AA/CP just isn't on my "need" or "make vs break" list. It'd be nice as an option, sure (even if it doesn't work well at first - patches fix stuff) but for now, I don't really give a flip about it. And I'm very tech savvy - it just hasn't flowed over completely into my car-driving experience to that extent yet.

At least you guys have fancier toilets with the whole control panel :)

LOL - Japan has no middle ground, even in the city, you'll find bars/restaurants with no indoor flush toilet, but rather a drop pit toilet behind the building.... and they are squatters as well.... but gas stations and 7-11's always have nice clean ones.

LOL - Japan has no middle ground, even in the city, you'll find bars/restaurants with no indoor flush toilet, but rather a drop pit toilet behind the building.... and they are squatters as well.... but gas stations and 7-11's always have nice clean ones.

Wow. I learned something new today.

intuitively i think it would benefit a smaller brand like Mazda to put AA/Carplay in because they then don't need to spend further on R&D on infotainment once the groundwork is laid and can spend that $ on the next generation of SkyActiv, G-vectoring, or safety tech. i'm sure i'm naive about what kind of incentives they have to have proprietary tech allowing them to get deals with navigation companies, third-party apps, etc. but i just don't think it's worth the trouble in the long-run as people move towards AA/CP.
What if I don't have an Android Phone. Or an iPhone?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ok, now you're embarrassing us tech peeps. 😋

Ok, now you're embarrassing us tech peeps. ��

I know. I just don't do much with my phones, never have.

I do have a custom watercooled top of the line PC at home that I built though so that should redeem me a bit.....right? Huh, huh?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

I learned that the hard way on a trip a few years back to Osaka. Trying to use a pit toilet in a suit is ain't easy!

Same thing happens in China now as well but I am finding many places have upgraded to western style toilets.

I work in IT and am a techie, I had a flip phone until 2013 LOL!

Working on my BA in IT/Database Management. I use old hand me down phones from my wife so I'm rocking an old Samsung Galaxy s3. The appeal for Android Auto would be a free means for a navigation system. That's about it for me. Otherwise I like using my own song playlist in random via BT.

Inside the car cabin I'm looking at good ergonomics. My work and home computer stations features vertical trigger mouses, ergonomic keyboards, I have a glass logitec track pad, and I do ergonomic stretches all through out the day. I like minimalist design as well as precise tactile feedback with efficient movement. Naturally I'm a big fan of the commander knob as well as other of Mazda's cabin layout.

In other words I'd prefer 3 really good useful buttons per se' vs 12 unnecessary buttons cluttered throughout the cabin.

Personally I think AA/CP fits right in with what Mazda is trying to do with the new CX-5 from a visual/design perspective.

Think of it this way... with all the effort Mazda spent on designing the interior (lines, flow, look, etc) would they then want you to mount your phone somewhere visible and ruin the design/lines of the interior? Adding AA/CP would lessen the need to ruin their design principles by jamming your cell phone to the air vent or similar :)

I learned that the hard way on a trip a few years back to Osaka. Trying to use a pit toilet in a suit is ain't easy!

Same thing happens in China now as well but I am finding many places have upgraded to western style toilets.
Exactly, except China, like Japan, often has MUCH better toilets than the west, at least in the modern buildings. And by far the worst experience I ever had was trying to use a squatty potty on the bullet train.... this was years and years ago, and I couldn't read that there were also western style on the train (I think it was my first ever shinkansen trip).

I like minimalist design as well as precise tactile feedback with efficient movement. Naturally I'm a big fan of the commander knob as well as other of Mazda's cabin layout.

In other words I'd prefer 3 really good useful buttons per se' vs 12 unnecessary buttons cluttered throughout the cabin.

Me too. That is why I really like Mazda's approach to the interior cabin versus the other manufacturers. If there was a feature I would like to have in my 2014 that the newer CX-5s have, it's that commander knob.

Exactly, except China, like Japan, often has MUCH better toilets than the west, at least in the modern buildings. And by far the worst experience I ever had was trying to use a squatty potty on the bullet train.... this was years and years ago, and I couldn't read that there were also western style on the train (I think it was my first ever shinkansen trip).

My inner George Costanza is cringing so hard right now.

Eventually, cars won't need conventional audio head units. Just a connection and mirroring of your device.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back