Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very very happy with the infotainment system in my CX-5. At least now that Pandora finally works flawlessly.

Me too, I drive a Mazda2, but really like the MZD system!

I like the software, I like the location, high on the dashboard and hey, which of the small (and even bigger) cars has that superb commander knob!

Nevertheless, I would love to get Android Auto, for the accurate traffic info alone (and for other reasons)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Well a couple things about this. The base configuration for android auto IS, screen mirroring. That is the core functionality of the app that you run on head unit. Keep in mind though that, that app is connected to the CMU, and that CMU is connected to your microphone, your rocker switches on your steering wheel, and the mic trigger button along with whatever else the manufacturer decides to tie into the system. I don't have the dev kit. But I have to imagine its child's play and that there is probably some way of getting a signal from the mirroring app to talk to the OS on the CMU to display navigation info on the secondary display on the dash.
However lets start off with the basics with Mazda and hope they are going to at least do this. Anything more I'd consider icing on the cake.

One thing. You mentioned that AA is available to run directly on the phone. I've had people tell me that AA integrated into the car is now no big deal since you can mount your phone or tablet and away you go.
Did you notice the accuracy of your GPS when turning? That the system was spot on when moving and turning? One thing that AA does and why I've got a serious tech boner for AA is it uses the GPS receiver that is in the car instead of the wimpy one on the phone. The Car's GPS is not limited to a handset who's main goal is battery life, and pocketability. It is FAR more powerful and accurate. So if your car has AA and built in GPS it will use that receiver.
Google Maps with a high precision receiver who is always up to date? Yes please.

I think if it is possible, you can try Android Auto on a car and see how it works.
Do you own an android phone? If so, try to enable "Ok Google" detection feature. You do not have to touch your phone. Just say "Ok Goolge".

Same for Android Auto, you do not have to touch any button on your car at all to search for address, restaurant etc... You do not have to remember any complex structured commands like you do with traditional Infortainment system. Of course, you can still use car Mic button to active Google voice search.

People keep saying it is basically mirroring. It is more than that. You can easily buy a miracast box to mirror your phone screen to car CMU display. But that solution is what it is, screen mirroring. CMU display becomes an external monitor for your phone and that is it. You can not interact with your phone directly through CMU display. Actually, there is a tweak just for that. It is CastScreen.

With AA, you can use your car infortainment display like tablet.

For GPS signal, I have no idea when I connect my phone to Mazda Connect, Google Maps will use my phone built-in GPS system or car GPS system. I think Google Maps will use GPS signal from my phone.

My friend also tried Apple Car on the same car that I tried Android Auto. Funny, turn by turn navigation was not display on driver information display.

I installed Android Auto tweak on my Mazda CX5 earlier today. It is not official from Mazda and is slow but usable. Google Map worked as expected, easy to use. Other Android Auto apps work just fine. One main problem is I can not receive phone call through car bluetooth hands free like I used to do. A big draw back to me!

Different people have different needs but I will be very happy if Mazda roll this out soon and I hope they do not charge extra fee for this. (rei)

I really hope AA comes sooner than later. It would make the CX5 perfect imo. I would have no problem paying a little for this upgrade as well.

@moonlighter:
Have you already been at the Mazda dealer?
If yes, any news?

Unfortunately most of what we hear at dealerships is a pile of crap. Dealers are not informed at all of technology in the development stage.

Regardless, I'm starting to wonder about all this... has anyone noticed that all these articles about CarPlay and Android Auto coming ALL refer to the one Cars.com article? One journalist from Cars.com talks to one Mazda employee who says it's coming and it's taken as gospel. Has there been any official confirmation from Mazda at all?

Email the dude that wrote the article. It's a great world we live in today. :D

Editor@cars.com

Carplay and Android Auto have only been out about 3 years now. That's a long time in tech, but a short time to expect it in every car. Are we being a little unreaslitic that one of the smallest car companies hasn't implemented it yet?

Last edited:
Email the dude that wrote the article. It's a great world we live in today. :D

Editor@cars.com

Carplay and Android Auto have only been out about 3 years now. That's a long time in tech, but a short time to expect it in every car. Are we being a little unreaslitic that one of the smallest car companies hasn't implemented it yet?

If mitsubishi can have it running in some of their cars, absolutely no reason Mazda can't.

Nobody asked them to misrepresent what they actually provide, that's the bottom line.

They didn't. They've never said anything beyond: coming soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately most of what we hear at dealerships is a pile of crap. Dealers are not informed at all of technology in the development stage.

Regardless, I'm starting to wonder about all this... has anyone noticed that all these articles about CarPlay and Android Auto coming ALL refer to the one Cars.com article? One journalist from Cars.com talks to one Mazda employee who says it's coming and it's taken as gospel. Has there been any official confirmation from Mazda at all?

I went to two mazda dealers last week and talked with the MoD, deer in the headlights look. Which I'm not surprised by. We are asking details that have not trickled down from Mazda Corp yet. Hell they still don't have pricing details on the '17 yet. *pulls out his art of zen book and waits patiently for further details.* ;)

Emailing him doesn't solve the problem... Mazda has not confirmed it publicly, just to one journalist or so we are led to believe.
It's not really a problem that needs to be solved. Asking why they seem to be the only one with this info could be helpful. You don't think so?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's not really a problem that needs to be solved. Asking why they seem to be the only one with this info could be helpful. You don't think so?

Yes, good point. I've just been burned by other car company rumours so I'm particularly sensitive to hear it from Mazda's mouth :)

Maybe Masahiro Moro got a tramp stamp tattoo with
Android Auto
---------------
Car Play
Ever

Maybe then I'd be a little more confident. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back