Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx

It's coming...!

https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-to-add-android-auto-apple-carplay-capability-1420694439589/

The announcement came at a launch for the redesigned 2017 CX-5, but Mazda did not say which vehicle would be the first to debut with the smartphone mirroring technology installed. However, the part of the announcement that will be more exciting to some is that both technologies "should be retroactively upgradeable onto all Mazda Connect systems with a potentially minimal hardware addition needed," Mazda spokesperson Jacob Brown said.

Good news. Believable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well as I said earlier in this thread, a Mazda bigshot said they were testing this in AUS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My CX5 is booked in at the dealer next Thursday.

I will inquire to see if they know anything about this testing of Apple carplay and/or the much hyped "major infotainment update" (might be the same thing, who knows!) due "early in 2017" that they told me about in January..... and confirmed was still on its way a couple of weeks ago.

Why is everyone acting like Mazda is somehow lying or stringing everyone along? This is literally the first time Mazda US has released PR or talked publicly about Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, aside from some 'maybe we'll look into it, maybe we're testing it' talk from Dave Coleman on various YouTube videos going back 6-8 months.

Yes, Mazda signed up to be Google/Apple partners in 2014, but the official word has always been "We're evaluating it, TBD..." Before yesterday, Mazda has never came out and officially said it was going to be available, much less in a press statement like this.

Besides all of that, CarPlay has been available and working on the Mazda 6 in China for the last few months. Don't know why everyone is either shocked, in disbelief, or has the attitude of "I won't hold my breath". They're literally telling you that it's coming.

I think this just goes to show you how important CarPlay (and Android Auto) is becoming in vehicles. I hope these rumors are true! (yes, rumors... I'll believe it fully when I see it coming straight from Mazda and not a journalist who was told something)

Why is everyone acting like Mazda is somehow lying or stringing everyone along? This is literally the first time Mazda US has released PR or talked publicly about Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, aside from some 'maybe we'll look into it, maybe we're testing it' talk from Dave Coleman on various YouTube videos going back 6-8 months.

Good point. People are just cynical by nature, I think? plus they've been waiting. But waiting in this case is probably good. That 1st gen Android Auto would have just annoyed them. lol

Why is everyone acting like Mazda is somehow lying or stringing everyone along? Don't know why everyone is either shocked, in disbelief, or has the attitude of "I won't hold my breath". They're literally telling you that it's coming.

Here is why: Mazda misrepresented what they actually offered when I bought my 2016 CX-5 GT w/ Tech 20 months ago. "It's coming" doesn't cut it.
When they tell me it is now available for my car at no extra cost because I already paid for this missing feature, I'll believe it.

Fair?

Last edited:
That's very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it. That said, when it does become available, I wonder what the minimal hardware upgrade would entail. Suspect the newer lines would be first as a selling point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is why: Mazda misrepresented what they actually offered when I bought my 2016 CX-5 GT w/ Tech 20 months ago. "It's coming" doesn't cut it.
When they tell me it is now available for my car at no extra cost because I already paid for this missing feature, I'll believe it.

Fair?

How, exactly, did they misrepresent anything? Mazda the company has never mentioned anything regarding AA/CarPlay availability in the US/Europe before they did so yesterday. Are you talking about the dealer? Because the dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy the car. That's their job. I had a Ford dealer tell me the Escape Titanium has cooled seats (it doesn't). When I went shopping back in July, two Mazda dealers told me two completely different things regarding CarPlay. They don't know, and it's common knowledge to never take a dealer's word for anything. Other than that, I fail to see how you feel the car you purchased was misrepresented. It was all there for you to look at/test drive/research before you made your purchase. A feature can't be "missing" if it was never there to begin with.

I don't know, maybe it's just be but I don't see Android Auto being THAT big of a deal and that's coming from a diehard Android guy who owns more phones / tablets then I care to admit.
I watched some videos last night on Android Auto and I think it's neat but I wasn't all that blown away by the tech.

Maybe it'll get better as the software is developed but I don't see it as a game changer. The ONLY attractive part of it to me is using Google Maps but I wonder how the hardware most manufacturers are using will run such software because if it's a glitchy mess, I don't want it.

I don't know, maybe it's just be but I don't see Android Auto being THAT big of a deal and that's coming from a diehard Android guy who owns more phones / tablets then I care to admit.
I watched some videos last night on Android Auto and I think it's neat but I wasn't all that blown away by the tech.

Maybe it'll get better as the software is developed but I don't see it as a game changer. The ONLY attractive part of it to me is using Google Maps but I wonder how the hardware most manufacturers are using will run such software because if it's a glitchy mess, I don't want it.

That's pretty much how I feel with it, and I'm also an Android guy, and technical guy (work in IT).

I've had a hyundai sonata as a car rental as I want for the '17 CX-5 to come out. It has android auto in it and the Google Maps alone makes it a killer feature. The mapping software in the infotainment system is junk from lacking true real time traffic and accident info, to POI's that are far out of date. I ran across one gas station that had a house where it use to be now. Google Maps is the gold standard of mapping software. Bundle that in with being able to change playlists onscreen with Spotify and its been a really nice feature. Here is the point though. Android Auto is pretty much a screen mirroring feature. The "smarts" comes from the phone. As such future updates and enhancements really don't need to be done by Mazda other than bug fixes with the mirroring software. So you may not see a killer feature now......But as they update the app on the phone going forward you may. Better to get this now and have Google add features going forward then not have it at all. IMHO of course. :)

Here is what Mazda Customer Care emailed me in January 2016 consecutive to my complaint. Like I said, their tune hasn't changed. No ETA 14 months ago and still no ETA today.

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda.

With regards to your concern, Live Traffic Services is not a feature currently available through the Mazda Connect System. Mazda is looking into other alternatives but there is not ETA as to when these type of services may become available.
In the meantime we do encourage you to access your vehicle's HD Traffic Map for traffic information. This service allows drivers the ability to see a local traffic map with green, yellow, and red flow patterns of the current conditions. Simply go to the Applications Menu in your Mazda Connect System.

http://hdradio.com/blog/first-mazda-...audio-and-data

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may be causing you but do appreciate your suggestion and have forwarded your request to our Product Planning team for further review and evaluation. Your feedback is very important as we are always looking for ways to continually improve our great products and services.

Customer care is useless when it comes to things like this. It doesn't matter which company you are talking about. Mazda, Toyota, Sony, Samsung, Ford, Nintendo. Those folks sitting in front of a terminal have little inside information.

https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-to-add-android-auto-apple-carplay-capability-1420694439589/

This announcement came from the rep who was letting the press test drive the cars. And from a marketing standpoint those folks are trained to be very careful, usually, with what they tell the press. That bundled with Mazda looking to be classified as a premium car manufacturer, per their own words and actions. Finally with them going as far as stating that they are backporting it to older models that have the infotainment software. That is far more details then....."yeah yeah we are bring Android auto to our cars."
This smells legit.

Last edited:
"Retroactively upgradable" with minimal hardware....

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I'll wager you a beer that it would require replacement of the USB HUB that connects to the CMU. There are 2 USB ports on the back of the CMU and only one is used. USB 1 goes to the Hub that contains the the 2 USB ports and the card reader. To avoid shared bandwidth I'm betting, maybe incorrectly, that both ports on the CMU would be used and a replacement HUB would be needed.

hub1.jpg

Android Auto is actually great. For navigation, just say "Ok Google" and say address, building etc... anything you can remember. That alone saves a lot of time. Try it and you will see.

Last week, I tried Android Auto on the new Civic 1.5 Turbo. I think it does more than screen mirroring. It will show direction on Driver Information Display (see attached image). I have seen similar function in Chrysler 300C, nothing fancy but just want to say that it may do something more than screen mirroring.

pPpDUuW.jpg

Currently, you can use Android Auto on your phone without connecting your phone to your car. I use it daily this way.

Android Auto is actually great. For navigation, just say "Ok Google" and say address, building etc... anything you can remember. That alone saves a lot of time. Try it and you will see.

Last week, I tried Android Auto on the new Civic 1.5 Turbo. I think it does more than screen mirroring. It will show direction on Driver Information Display (see attached image). I have seen similar function in Chrysler 300C, nothing fancy but just want to say that it may do something more than screen mirroring.

pPpDUuW.jpg

Currently, you can use Android Auto on your phone without connecting your phone to your car. I use it daily this way.

Well a couple things about this. The base configuration for android auto IS, screen mirroring. That is the core functionality of the app that you run on head unit. Keep in mind though that, that app is connected to the CMU, and that CMU is connected to your microphone, your rocker switches on your steering wheel, and the mic trigger button along with whatever else the manufacturer decides to tie into the system. I don't have the dev kit. But I have to imagine its child's play and that there is probably some way of getting a signal from the mirroring app to talk to the OS on the CMU to display navigation info on the secondary display on the dash.
However lets start off with the basics with Mazda and hope they are going to at least do this. Anything more I'd consider icing on the cake.

One thing. You mentioned that AA is available to run directly on the phone. I've had people tell me that AA integrated into the car is now no big deal since you can mount your phone or tablet and away you go.
Did you notice the accuracy of your GPS when turning? That the system was spot on when moving and turning? One thing that AA does and why I've got a serious tech boner for AA is it uses the GPS receiver that is in the car instead of the wimpy one on the phone. The Car's GPS is not limited to a handset who's main goal is battery life, and pocketability. It is FAR more powerful and accurate. So if your car has AA and built in GPS it will use that receiver.
Google Maps with a high precision receiver who is always up to date? Yes please.

The big thing is Android Auto blows away the infotainment compared to many other cars including all Mazdas with their crappy ancient infotainment.

True Android auto isn't that big of a deal by itself. it doesnt seem complicated... and it should be easy and should already be implemented in all new cars now esp at this price range............ and why its very frustrating that mazda doesnt--especially because again their infotainment sucks. just like toyotas.

Well a couple things about this. The base configuration for android auto IS, screen mirroring. That is the core functionality of the app that you run on head unit. Keep in mind though that, that app is connected to the CMU, and that CMU is connected to your microphone, your rocker switches on your steering wheel, and the mic trigger button along with whatever else the manufacturer decides to tie into the system. I don't have the dev kit. But I have to imagine its child's play and that there is probably some way of getting a signal from the mirroring app to talk to the OS on the CMU to display navigation info on the secondary display on the dash.
However lets start off with the basics with Mazda and hope they are going to at least do this. Anything more I'd consider icing on the cake.

One thing. You mentioned that AA is available to run directly on the phone. I've had people tell me that AA integrated into the car is now no big deal since you can mount your phone or tablet and away you go.
Did you notice the accuracy of your GPS when turning? That the system was spot on when moving and turning? One thing that AA does and why I've got a serious tech boner for AA is it uses the GPS receiver that is in the car instead of the wimpy one on the phone. The Car's GPS is not limited to a handset who's main goal is battery life, and pocketability. It is FAR more powerful and accurate. So if your car has AA and built in GPS it will use that receiver.
Google Maps with a high precision receiver who is always up to date? Yes please.
Nerd. ;)

I'm sorry redturbohateCX5...I like the Infotainment in my Mazda.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back