Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL so stating a fact(lack of CarPlay/AA) in Mazda vehicles is somehow 'talking down' Mazda? It's called stating a fact. While the rest of us are here discussing Carplay you come in and attack me out of nowhere. I hope the mods read this and give you an infraction because your post was out of line.

No one is getting an infraction over a simple opinion. You don't have a CX-5; you've said so and some of your posts of late have been fueling the Honda this/that cx-5 debate in various threads as of late. That's probably why he has that opinion (one can simply look at your post history and see the theme). We have many different opinions about the car here.
My personal opinion is that I think the infotainment (2015 nb1 here, previously 2013 Nb1) is mediocre. Tom Tom is simple enough and updateable so no issue with NAV. The whole thing is just pretty basic overall. I think some people forget that those apps are dependent on a phone, a good GPS signal/service from the phone always . I'm more inclined to say those are more of trendy apps, simply because basically anyone with a cellphone is using iOS or Android. The only app I'd use on my car would be Pandora (which I already have, but could be better, again NB1), and maybe a GPS app with more functionality for traffic alert. I'd trade my NB1 for an android auto equipped HU, but I wouldn't trade the current unit for one. But I chose my car (twice) based on aftermarket support and handling/potential for it's price range. Where it doesn't deliver, I've made it deliver and continue to do so.

Come on, you negative guys!

I really di LOVE the infotainment system in my Mazda2! I really like the rotary knob and his position in the car, like I like the position of the screen!
It is far better than those systems in a lot of other cars!

And I am not the only one. Before I bought the car I have read a lot of reviews and car tests and viewed a lot of YouTube videos and in almost all these reviews and tests, the Mazda was praised in generally as one of the nicest to drive cars in their class and the infotainment system was almost everytime called classleading!
So, at least here in Europe, you will find not much negative remarks about it!

But most important, I will go to work within half an hour and I again are enjoying the driving of my Mazda, accompanied by the nice sound of the great MZD connect system. :-D

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Is your a DJ (2016+) mazda2?

@Chris_Top_Her:
Yes, it is a 2 months old (February 2017) Mazda2 DJ, with a great, strong but silent diesel engine. Like the other Mazdas a very fun-to-drive car!

Come on, you negative guys!

I really di LOVE the infotainment system in my Mazda2! I really like the rotary knob and his position in the car, like I like the position of the screen!
It is far better than those systems in a lot of other cars!

And I am not the only one. Before I bought the car I have read a lot of reviews and car tests and viewed a lot of YouTube videos and in almost all these reviews and tests, the Mazda was praised in generally as one of the nicest to drive cars in their class and the infotainment system was almost everytime called classleading!
So, at least here in Europe, you will find not much negative remarks about it!

But most important, I will go to work within half an hour and I again are enjoying the driving of my Mazda, accompanied by the nice sound of the great MZD connect system. :-D

I totally agree.
When I test drove the CX-3, I was quite sceptical about the infotainment and the fact that the touchscreen doesn't work when driving.
But after I got my CX-3, I really love the system. The command knob is great and I love the fact, that I haven't got fingerprints all over my infotainment screen :D

The system can be a bit slow at times, but not enough to bother me.

That fingerprints thing is a good one!
Even if I am not driving, I still use the knob instead of the touchscreen.

But the Mazda one is ok enough for me when I'm too lazy to use my phone.

This is the reason I need CarPlay/Android Auto... it saves me from the built-in navigation system. It gives me live traffic that's exponentially better than any "live traffic" offered on a built-in nav. It gives me constantly updated maps. It gives me constantly updated POI information.

I'm sure the Mazda navigation is "ok enough", but when buying a car to last years I'd rather have a nav system updated every time I use it compared to the constantly outdated nav maps in most cars.

They didn't. They've never said anything beyond: coming soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm talking about Mazda advertising live traffic alerts in their brochure in 2015. I kept the one the dealer gave me for the record. Since then, they removed this feature from their literature, not after having mislead 00s of buyers including me.

LOL so stating a fact(lack of CarPlay/AA) in Mazda vehicles is somehow 'talking down' Mazda? It's called stating a fact. While the rest of us are here discussing Carplay you come in and attack me out of nowhere. I hope the mods read this and give you an infraction because your post was out of line.

Everyone knows your history here mango. I don't need to explain myself.

For actual CX5 owners, I picked up this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Put it right in the center vents and I load up GMaps and Waze. Front and center for you and actually creates a nice setup. I tried AA for just the phone and while it was nice, it was just easier to use the main apps for navigation.

I'm talking about Mazda advertising live traffic alerts in their brochure in 2015. I kept the one the dealer gave me for the record. Since then, they removed this feature from their literature, not after having mislead 00s of buyers including me.

Pretty sure it was even in the 16 brochure. Someone around here had a PDF of it. I would really love to know what happened and why the quit offering "connected services".

I can't speak on others who are being critical of Mazda and the CX5,

But for those who question why some of us are even commenting when we don't own the car....well its because we are potential buyers.

And despite what many here feel about Android Auto and Apple Carplay not being important...... Believe me outside this forum and in a broader sense, Apple Carplay and Android auto is a HUGE deal. I mean look around on the reviews for all cars and even the upcoming 17 CX5. How many mentions of Android/Apple or in MAzda's case..LACK THERE OF. I mean look at the other mazda forum where they hacked it to run a shoddy unreliable version of Android Auto..... just to have it even though it is unreliable AF. Pages and pages, you know people want it.

There are many like myself who don't plan to lease or trade in a car ever few years. We intend to keep whatever car we are buying until the wheels fall off so making sure it has every feature that we feel should be standard these days is important.

I was cross-shopping the CX9 until I settled to just sticking to the CX5/CRV/RAV4 class. And even prior to CX9's debut I was hoping and waiting it would have Android/Apple. We all know that never came to be, but at the time, media/press said it was coming. Fast forward to the 2nd year of the CX9 and still no official word. Just hearsay. If I had invested (well not invest because buying any car is a loss as soon as you drive it out the lot) but took all the hearsay I would be so dissapointed that after months/year(s) still nothing. I rather manufacturers do away with navigation and what Garmin/Tomtom or whatever partners they use. Probably save the consumer some $$. You can do offline maps now with Google maps and is updated regularly.

I'm sure mazda is reading/viewing all the official first drive/reviews from press that they invited to try the new CX5. Almost all--heck I think all Ive watched mention the infotainment and lack of Android Auto Apple Carplay. Last year it wasn't as important or criticized from when the Cx9 came out, but now its definitely more of a bigger deal. We all just have to wait and see if they come through.

Well that is nice to know that you're being critical because you're interested in buying one. Mange just bought a car and isn't in the market.

I will not deny there are people out there just champing at the bit (chomping?) for this tech but I do question your assertion that it is most people? Yea, I don't think it's "most people". Most average people buying these grocery getters probably aren't even aware of what Apple Car Play even IS until the delaer sits them in the CR-V and says "Check this feature out".
As I've said I am THE tech guy in my circle of humans. EVERYONE asks me for advice about everything. None of them are talking about this stuff. Friend just bought a new car that has AA - she didn't even know it had it when I mentioned it to her.
It's obviously a deal breaker for you, so you should remove the CX-5 from your short list.

It's obviously a deal breaker for you, so you should remove the CX-5 from your short list.

That's a bit dramatic, especially with partially confirmed rumors that Mazda is bringing it. It's not too much to ask for Mazda to officially say yes it's coming at some point to these specific vehicles.

The fact that many early reviews called out the absence of these two features is telling enough and should be a warning for Mazda to get their act together.

Navigating through Google Maps is exponentially more accurate and helpful than the built-in navigation... that alone is why it's a deal-breaker to me.

Well that is nice to know that you're being critical because you're interested in buying one. Mange just bought a car and isn't in the market.

I will not deny there are people out there just champing at the bit (chomping?) for this tech but I do question your assertion that it is most people? Yea, I don't think it's "most people". Most average people buying these grocery getters probably aren't even aware of what Apple Car Play even IS until the delaer sits them in the CR-V and says "Check this feature out".
As I've said I am THE tech guy in my circle of humans. EVERYONE asks me for advice about everything. None of them are talking about this stuff. Friend just bought a new car that has AA - she didn't even know it had it when I mentioned it to her.

Agreed. Red I can appreciate your points and criticality of the CX-5 from your position as a potential buyer. Mango on the other hand already bought the CR-V, and for some reason keeps coming on here to trash talk the CX-5.

I do agree with 7 in the sense that I am also a huge techie, work in IT, yet I don't care at all about Carplay or Android Auto. Would they be nice features? Absolutely, and I won't argue against that. But for me, they are not a big deal to have. Would they be nice to have? For sure. Do I lose any sleep at night wishing I had it? Nah. I tend to like simpler cars, and don't spend too much time messing with my infotainment system, I don't have the NAV, and I'm perfectly content with that. I just like to throw on the radio and drive.

I accept that that's not everybody though and if CP/AA are a big deal, then CX-5 may not be for you.

But I also agree with 7, that I don't necessarily see the infotainment system as being the most important feature for potential buyers. I agree that a lot of people probably don't even know about CP/AA (I'm a techie and didn't even know about them, that's how much I don't care about them as a dealbreaker feature).

Last edited:
Everyone knows your history here mango. I don't need to explain myself.

For actual CX5 owners, I picked up this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Put it right in the center vents and I load up GMaps and Waze. Front and center for you and actually creates a nice setup. I tried AA for just the phone and while it was nice, it was just easier to use the main apps for navigation.
Interesting. Does it work if you have a case on your phone?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a vent mount like that. But when I used it, with the phone, it was too heavy and would always wind up pointing the phone towards the floor.

If CarPlay/AA is important to you do not buy the car until it's actually implemented. I think Mazda stated a few years ago these features would be added in the future but never were.

Did you ever get your CarPlay random disconnect issues sorted for your CRV at the dealership? Was it an Apple issue or a Honda issue? My understanding is just about every car maker is having problems with CarPlay/AA. I know some folks whom have adopted them backing and not using them. Makes me wonder just what exactly we're missing out. A quirky sometimes works sometimes doesn't app or a full fledged seamless app that integrates our smart phone into our car's infotainment system with no issues.

If Mazda wanted to add CarPlay or AA to thier vehicles they would have added it years ago. The reason why they haven't is because they have no intention to add it.

WhatIfIToldYou.jpg

Mazda has shifted to wanting a premium feel / stance. That is the going statement across the board. They may have decided that there is enough clamoring for this feature that its time to pull the trigger. Because at this point its Mazda and Toyota that don't have a model with Carplay / AA.

I've had AA in my rental for 3 months now. (2016 hyundai sonata) First with my Nexus 6 and now my Samsung S7 edge that I just got yesterday. Flawless with both phones. Google Maps works well. Audible and Spotify does as well along with message notifications and response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back