Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, but lots of people I know with Rogues love having that option for kids. Rarely used but people like the option.

My only point was really that people need to find out what they want in a car and buy it. If the person is really obsessed with having carplay or android play, they should get a car like the CR-V that has it. If they want a car with a 3rd row but want a CUV and not a full sized SUV, they should look at the Rouge (not many options).

I have driven a Rouge (2014) and did not think much of it. Very similar in ride to the Rav 4 and CR-V.

the 2017 crv has completely new driving dynamics. its totally redesigned from the 2016 and older. the new crv actually handles and brakes better than the cx5. see car and driver review

You can forget about Mazda adding this anytime soon to any of their vehicles. I read an article somewhere where they are working with Toyota and a few other brands on some kind of open source NAV system. They're clueless if they think they can compete with Apple or Google on this type of technology.

yea i think at this moment its pretty official mazda is done with apple/android. BUT at one moment not too long ago, they did hint at it. Even as recent as just a year ago, when the cx9 was released, media and reps were hinting at apple/android update. But shortly after that it looks like they went in a different direction.

The manufacturers who went against apple/google made the wrong move-- toyota, mazda, etc. bad call. it will leave people having outdated infotainment systems. while those equipped with android auto and apple car play will continue to have the latest. its cheaper and easier to upgrade a phone then a car lol.

You should see in the Honda Pilot forums (the current one), the initial release did not have android auto/apple car play. even though the native OS is Android lol. People assumed a firmware/update would be coming. Guess what it didn't. Honda said it was something in the hardware lol. Man the owners were distraught! It's like their world ended. For 2017 what did they include-----you gussed it.. android auto/apple car play. i think everything else was pretty much the same. I think some people even traded in just to get it HAHA.

it's such a big thing android auto/apple car play. its so useful, esp those who are pretty techy. It's going to be a really big missed feature.

I can't be the only one who doesn't care about AA?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I can't be the only one who doesn't care about AA?

You only hear from the squeaky wheel. I'm a tech/developer, I tinker with stuffs, I even had fun tweaking the Infotainment system.

No, I don't need AA. My phone does connect to the car with Bluetooth so I can make call while driving, I do look at Google Maps occasionally on my phone, mostly listening to directions. But that's about it. When I'm in the car, I enjoy driving (and talking to my daughter in the back), I don't pay attention much to the gadgets. I do have musics on a slim USB flash drive that plugged in all the time.

Note that SmartDeviceLink Consortium has just been announced a few weeks back (with Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, ...), so AA/AC are not really where the car manufactures are heading to:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto

Are you back hitting that crack pipe? It seems like yes.
the 2017 crv has completely new driving dynamics. its totally redesigned from the 2016 and older. the new crv actually handles and brakes better than the cx5. see car and driver review

You only hear from the squeaky wheel. I'm a tech/developer, I tinker with stuffs, I even had fun tweaking the Infotainment system.

No, I don't need AA. My phone does connect to the car with Bluetooth so I can make call while driving, I do look at Google Maps occasionally on my phone, mostly listening to directions. But that's about it. When I'm in the car, I enjoy driving (and talking to my daughter in the back), I don't pay attention much to the gadgets. I do have musics on a slim USB flash drive that plugged in all the time.

Note that SmartDeviceLink Consortium has just been announced a few weeks back (with Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, ...), so AA/AC are not really where the car manufactures are heading to:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto
I do IT for a living, as well. Pretty techie guy. Have all the toys. I don't like nor want AA or ACP. Likewise of the 50 or 60 people I interact daily, take a guess how many care about this? Yep...None. It's not as big a deal as some if these enthusiasts make it out to be.

yea i think at this moment its pretty official mazda is done with apple/android. BUT at one moment not too long ago, they did hint at it. Even as recent as just a year ago, when the cx9 was released, media and reps were hinting at apple/android update. But shortly after that it looks like they went in a different direction.

The manufacturers who went against apple/google made the wrong move-- toyota, mazda, etc. bad call. it will leave people having outdated infotainment systems. while those equipped with android auto and apple car play will continue to have the latest. its cheaper and easier to upgrade a phone then a car lol.

You should see in the Honda Pilot forums (the current one), the initial release did not have android auto/apple car play. even though the native OS is Android lol. People assumed a firmware/update would be coming. Guess what it didn't. Honda said it was something in the hardware lol. Man the owners were distraught! It's like their world ended. For 2017 what did they include-----you gussed it.. android auto/apple car play. i think everything else was pretty much the same. I think some people even traded in just to get it HAHA.

it's such a big thing android auto/apple car play. its so useful, esp those who are pretty techy. It's going to be a really big missed feature.

All this talk of Mazda forsaking Android Auto is pure conjecture and I would claim likely false.
The fact that they joined some industry consortium with Toyota and others means exactly nothing. Did they withdrew from the Open Automotive Alliance? No.
It would not be uncommon for companies to join more than one such consortium. It does not even mean that they are active in either, nor that they will not adopt both (or none).

Mazda reps said in the past AA will come in the form of a firmware update. It is upsetting that it takes such a long time, though they might still make it available.
With the older infotainment, I did get a fix more than a year after purchase, which even involved some hardware changes, just to get the USB playback to resume. They could have left it as is and call it a feature.

However, if I was considering a purchase now, I would have only considered vehicles with Android Auto. It's just to big of a purchase to hope they will make it available. It is definitely possible that they will not.

Do I use Android Auto? Every day, on my phone, on the way to work and the way back.
Why?
It saves me time on my commute, shows me real-time alternatives and expected arrival time, when considering traffic. It allows me to listen to news from the beginning (not from the middle), without or with minimal commercials, skip stories I don't care about, listen to music I like and skip music I don't like.
It works very well with voice commands and is excellent in finding restaurants and stores, even if I don't remember the full name or the address, and it tells me when road closures are in effect.

Last edited:
I do IT for a living, as well. Pretty techie guy. Have all the toys. I don't like nor want AA or ACP. Likewise of the 50 or 60 people I interact daily, take a guess how many care about this? Yep...None. It's not as big a deal as some if these enthusiasts make it out to be.

100% agree. I also do IT for a living.

Honestly I don't care about Android Auto or CarPlay either. That's why I have a base Touring for crying out loud lol.

I drive to drive. I don't stare at a NAV whether infotainment system (I don't have the NAV), or phone. I'm not fiddling with settings, or anything. I'm simple. I like to drive, and I'll put on Pandora, or AM/FM, or bluetooth my phone. That's all I need/want.

You're kidding yourself if you DON'T think Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is what auto manufacturers are moving to:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

And the that list continues to grow year after year. Ford is the only company out of that consortium that has a decent infotainment systems. The rest suck.

TFLCar, who has some long-term deep connections inside Mazda, was at the press release of the new car and got one to review.

According to the reps they talked to there, Android Auto and CarPlay will be available - potentially this year - and retrofit to all the Mazda Connect systems.

Almost out of the woods, folks.

You're kidding yourself if you DON'T think Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is what auto manufacturers are moving to:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

And the that list continues to grow year after year. Ford is the only company out of that consortium that has a decent infotainment systems. The rest suck.

Note that we're not against having AA/ACP, of course we always welcome new features. I'm just saying that we don't really have a need for it, so it's not a deal breaker that would drive us toward the CR-V (yes, your CR-V is way superior, happy?). Just like the power tailgate in the new 2017, it's just another option that some of us would welcome.

AA is currently already available if you're willing to tinker a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYsfnatReo

Official Android Auto page:
https://www.android.com/auto/mazda/

The SmartDeviceLink Consortium will take some time to mature, so supporting AA/ACP for the near future is the obvious choice. We don't know for sure if the Consortium will work, but certainly these car makers (34% of US market) have something in their mind.

At the moment, both AA and CarPlay are fairly limited in utility - mostly music and podcasts, and some mapping. My main beef is CarPlay only allows Apple Maps. AA at least uses google maps.

I keep my phone mounted on the windshield to the left of the gauge cluster, with waze and spotify running. With bluetooth and siri, I almost never have to touch it. It would be nice if Waze was on the screen, with bigger buttons. It's slow going on the car front; could be years before it's opened up.

Is it really THAT simple!?!

It was a lot of manual works at first just to tweak the infotainment, but gradually people were able to package things into scripts that simplify the process. However, it's a moving target as Mazda keeps pushing out updates to the system, and the AIO project might have not been maintained accordingly.

I haven't been following progress so I don't know where things are right now, perhaps too risky to try if you don't know what you're doing. It's likely that Mazda will have AA/ACP soon, might as well just wait for the official support.

The forum on the All-in-one tweak project, for reference:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...io-electronics/122458-aio-all-one-tweaks.html

At the moment, both AA and CarPlay are fairly limited in utility - mostly music and podcasts, and some mapping. My main beef is CarPlay only allows Apple Maps. AA at least uses google maps.

I keep my phone mounted on the windshield to the left of the gauge cluster, with waze and spotify running. With bluetooth and siri, I almost never have to touch it. It would be nice if Waze was on the screen, with bigger buttons. It's slow going on the car front; could be years before it's opened up.

Spotify has a CarPlay app.

The main reason I'm looking forward to CarPlay is that Mazda's command knob is a much safer way of interacting with your infotainment than a touch screen (especially one on your phone) while driving, and CarPlay is designed to integrate with these kinds of controllers (see Audi, BMW, etc.) Locking out the phone while driving and sticking it out of reach is much better than having it on a mount to futz with while you're driving. Something like the Volvo or Honda integration is definitely better than not having it, as Apple / Google have done a really good job at optimizing their interfaces for such things, but reaching forward to tap a screen is significantly more dangerous than a tactile control you don't have to look at like the command knob.

Warwick,
But it's the latest and greatest thing according to Honda. If Honda goes with it, well, that's the only sensible way to go! (boom02)
Spotify has a CarPlay app.

The main reason I'm looking forward to CarPlay is that Mazda's command knob is a much safer way of interacting with your infotainment than a touch screen (especially one on your phone) while driving, and CarPlay is designed to integrate with these kinds of controllers (see Audi, BMW, etc.) Locking out the phone while driving and sticking it out of reach is much better than having it on a mount to futz with while you're driving. Something like the Volvo or Honda integration is definitely better than not having it, as Apple / Google have done a really good job at optimizing their interfaces for such things, but reaching forward to tap a screen is significantly more dangerous than a tactile control you don't have to look at like the command knob.

Note that we're not against having AA/ACP, of course we always welcome new features. I'm just saying that we don't really have a need for it, so it's not a deal breaker that would drive us toward the CR-V (yes, your CR-V is way superior, happy?). Just like the power tailgate in the new 2017, it's just another option that some of us would welcome.

AA is currently already available if you're willing to tinker a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYsfnatReo

Official Android Auto page:
https://www.android.com/auto/mazda/

The SmartDeviceLink Consortium will take some time to mature, so supporting AA/ACP for the near future is the obvious choice. We don't know for sure if the Consortium will work, but certainly these car makers (34% of US market) have something in their mind.

It was a lot of manual works at first just to tweak the infotainment, but gradually people were able to package things into scripts that simplify the process. However, it's a moving target as Mazda keeps pushing out updates to the system, and the AIO project might have not been maintained accordingly.

I haven't been following progress so I don't know where things are right now, perhaps too risky to try if you don't know what you're doing. It's likely that Mazda will have AA/ACP soon, might as well just wait for the official support.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...io-electronics/122458-aio-all-one-tweaks.html

Nice!

I spoke to my dealer today who indicated that AA and CarPlay won't be in the Mazda lineup anytime soon because of the agreement they have with their map provider. They want to force you to use their map product where AA and CarPlay have more flexibility. Anyone else hear something similar?
Lol. And reality for some folks finally sets in. I recall not too long ago some Mazda fanboys were praising how advanced Mazda's entertainment tech was and how they're not introducing AA or CP because they are ensuring it runs perfectly. :p

And even though both AA and CP have their limitations, the public and market are expecting it in new vehicles. It sounds like Mazda thinks it's Apple where most people will just buy their product regardless if it lacks features compared to the competition. Then again, as I have said many times before. Mazda is always at least several generations behind the industry with their in-car entertainment.

How do you stop your suction mount from dropping? I haven't found any suction mount that don't drop either when the weather gets colder or hot, or just random. For me, I always need touch/use my iphone to have it do things. I don't like BT and chorded isn't much better. Siri just sucks imo.

Things might be a bit different now as the 2014s now no longer are eligible for free updates. However, the vast majority of people don't want to tinker with their infotainment which always was flaky at best. In fact, people are moving away from this sort of thing in general. At one time, jailbreaking and rooting their mobile device was fairly common. Nowadays, very few can be bothered with rooting or jailbreaking. Most new car buyers don't want to compromise when they're spending big bucks. It'll be interesting to see how Mazda weathers the storm within the next couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back