Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BambooBen

:
Mazda, CX-5, 2016 GT Tech
I was googling around for some news on Carplay being added to Mazdas, and found this recent thread over at Mazda3Revolution forum

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...s/119666-mildly-promising-carplay-update.html

A recent poster said

Hi all. Read thru this and wanted to offer what I have learned. When I purchased my Mazda 3 in May of last year, I was told it had real-time traffic on the Nav. After purchasing found this to not be true. I have had a number of conversations with Mazda USA on this and here is what they have told me.

* The WiFi was disabled in Mazda connect because of the number of complaints they had from users on their data going over carrier limits due to it being used by the car. (so they cut their liability).

* Apple CarPlay is in development. As of my last call a couple of weeks ago, it is ready for new vehicles, but they are still testing in existing vehicles. Supposedly the hardware in the 2015 Mazda3 is fully compliant and will just need a software update to install.

So.... Based on this, it seems they are close to releasing Apple CarPlay at least in new models - with existing 2015 & 2016 models soon.

If you want to call and voice your support or opinions, my contact is Becky at 949-727-6610. Maybe the more people that call the quicker they will implement.

I'm kind of excited at the possibility to have carplay, or Auto if I get an Android next.
Anyone have any newer info?

I was googling around for some news on Carplay being added to Mazdas, and found this recent thread over at Mazda3Revolution forum

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...s/119666-mildly-promising-carplay-update.html

A recent poster said

I'm kind of excited at the possibility to have carplay, or Auto if I get an Android next.
Anyone have any newer info?

No, not true. I spent countless hours on this and finally what I gathered is current Mazda Infotainment systems will NOT support Carplay.

Well I recently contacted Mazda about Android auto for an issue I was having in regards to my infotainment system. I also asked about Android auto and part of the response was this "In regards to the Android Auto, Mazda is currently working on a software update to make Android Auto available, unfortunately there is not known date of when it'll be available". This could be taken different ways but to me an update is what is done on current devices already out. So our current Mazda's.

From what I heard from a Mazda rep, Mazda is set to support Android Auto before carplay. This is partially the reason why androids seem to work flawlessly with current infotainment and iphones have issues initially with reading text messages.

From what I heard from a Mazda rep, Mazda is set to support Android Auto before carplay. This is partially the reason why androids seem to work flawlessly with current infotainment and iphones have issues initially with reading text messages.

I'd second this. Given the system runs Linux, and I already can easily mirror the screen from my Android phone with the CastScreen app, I think Android would be supported first. Also, the open-source nature of Android makes it a lot easier than the proprietary iOS.

I'd second this. Given the system runs Linux, and I already can easily mirror the screen from my Android phone with the CastScreen app, I think Android would be supported first. Also, the open-source nature of Android makes it a lot easier than the proprietary iOS.

If I remember right, the modding community found hints of android auto as well.

If I remember right, the modding community found hints of android auto as well.

Yeah I remember reading that as well. They were saying possibly in the version 60 software release. I really hope so.

This looks like Android on the stock OEM system with touch-screen input and sound. I guess it's not to hard, then.

We can only hope. I sent Mazda yet another email enquiring about Android auto. I hope everyone does that. At least help them realize we're interested in the safety features available with AA.

Anyone hear of any updates on CarPlay? Sad that every major automaker is adding this to their 2017 models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Software alone will not enable Apple CarPlay - if they do update the software the USB hub will likely have to be upgraded as well. Apple requires a proprietary USB for it to work.

I just went through the process for my new 2016 F-150. The vehicle came from the factory with the correct CarPlay software version, but it didn't work until I replaced the physical USB module. This is only for Apple CarPlay BTW, Android Auto worked fine with the original USB module.

Apparently late 2016 model F-150s (Mid August onward) were shipped with the 2017 software but the older non-apple USB hub.

After I replaced the USB module both CP and AA work great.

I would imagine the same would apply for the Mazda since they were not originally built for Apple CarPlay.

Last edited:
Anyone hear of any updates on CarPlay? Sad that every major automaker is adding this to their 2017 models.

Don't hold your breath, you will die. Mazda has been several generations behind the industry standard with their entertainment systems. This is clearly not their priority. Mazda knows what you want while both Samsung and Trump think they can fool everyone with their twisted mindset.

Don't hold your breath, you will die. Mazda has been several generations behind the industry standard with their entertainment systems. This is clearly not their priority. Mazda knows what you want while both Samsung and Trump think they can fool everyone with their twisted mindset.

Sounds like Hillary fooled you. I will be in the market for a new car about a year from now, so it won't be a Mazda if car play is not available.

@Heritage07 Lol. No, Hillary didn't fool me either. Like the Germans are saying. The entire US election is like watching Muppets in action.

The 2017s are already out or soon will be. There is no evidence Car Play will be in the 2017 models. Hypothetically speaking, adding it to the mid year cycle model would be a big upgrade. It would definitely piss off a lot of early purchasers.

What models are you considering? While Honda is ahead in terms of tech, long term reliability in terms of transmission and engine seems to be an issue. Reading some comments in the Honda forum give me a great laugh. One poster wrote that despite needing a new engine and/or transmission at his expense, he would still buy another Honda. Toyota doesn't have Carplay either. Fortunately, Mazda and Toyota are the minorities here. Just don't be surprised if a Mazda rep uses that excuse for not having it the 2017 Mazda3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back