Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would suck. Be careful what you wish for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nissan as well doesn't have it. But out of the 3 (mazda, toyota, nissan).. Mazda seems to be making the most news about having it "soon"

Toyota I believe is firm about not conforming and trying to build on their crappy system entune or whatever its called. No idea what nissan thinks about it. EDIT: I just saw its in vehicles in Japan already and Android site says coming soon. I think toyota's popularity can allow it to still sell its vehicles without it. Mazda I dont think has that popularity. I would think even Honda could still sell well without it, I mean they did with the previous gen CRV. So adding AA/Carplay on the Mazdas will def help.

Nissan Maxima has Carplay for their 2017 Model. http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-finally-joins-the-apple-carplay-bandwagon-with-2017-maxima/

But no AA.

Just joining the thread. I was just reading that newer lineups of Mazda's are getting Android Auto and that all Mazda connect infotainment systems are capable of running it and would take a small modification to make it work on older models .

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/13/mazda-gearing-add-android-auto-carplay-vehicle-lineup/

So it seems like the 2017 CX-5 was the first your to get the Mazda Connect infotainment system but i just wanted to let people know that according to Mazda it is coming and most likely a free upgrade

I have the 2013 sadly so no love for me!! Time to go get an aftermarket unit

Just joining the thread. I was just reading that newer lineups of Mazda's are getting Android Auto and that all Mazda connect infotainment systems are capable of running it and would take a small modification to make it work on older models .

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/13/mazda-gearing-add-android-auto-carplay-vehicle-lineup/

So it seems like the 2017 CX-5 was the first your to get the Mazda Connect infotainment system but i just wanted to let people know that according to Mazda it is coming and most likely a free upgrade

Same deal with 2014 I imagine?

If you have Mazda Connect Infotainment system (the really ugly bump screen on the dash) it should be getting it. And i do believe the 2014 Mazda 3 was the first to get this system but the 2014 and 2013 CX-5 from what I remember in Canada have a different system. If you have the little puck to control the system that is a Mazda Connect system

Yeah, that news came out a couple of weeks ago... it's encouraging but unfortunately it's hearsay for now because Mazda hasn't officially communicated it to customers (which is expected... and the current news does come from a very direct and reputable source). Personally I'm satisfied that it will come. Now I just need to be able to test-drive a CX-5!

Our 2013 has navigation but not Mazda Connect. Have to find out how to keep it updated. Can I just purchase maps from Tom Tom?

Our 2016, Glad I didn't purchase the $150-$200 or so navigation card online. Will hold out for the update.

That statement is from and interview with a guy from Mazda though so not really hearsay because its coming right from them but till its official i get what you are saying. Hopeful!!

@CX-5um there is a SD card slot by the hood release in that little cubby hole that should let you update the system

Our 2013 has navigation but not Mazda Connect. Have to find out how to keep it updated. Can I just purchase maps from Tom Tom?

Our 2016, Glad I didn't purchase the $150-$200 or so navigation card online. Will hold out for the update.

I miss the NAV on 2015 CX-5 that displays both actual car speed and speed limit. The 2016.5 NAV (Mazda Connect) is only showing speed limit but not car speed (unless someone can tell me I've missed the latter feature, and I end up having to check both NAV display and speedometer.

Pretty sure you can buy them from Mazda. I wonder is these cards are able to be copied...

Pretty sure you can buy them from Mazda. I wonder is these cards are able to be copied...

We have a card (Tom Tom). I guess I have to buy map updates unless they're free. That said I haven't updated it since like 2014. Could not find a location probably 3-4 times since then. Not really a priority but may have to see if they still provide free updates.

Yes I miss the sat speed its accurate compared to the speedo, I use to set the CC to that speed.

I miss the NAV on 2015 CX-5 that displays both actual car speed and speed limit. The 2016.5 NAV (Mazda Connect) is only showing speed limit but not car speed (unless someone can tell me I've missed the latter feature, and I end up having to check both NAV display and speedometer.

That statement is from and interview with a guy from Mazda though so not really hearsay because its coming right from them but till its official i get what you are saying. Hopeful!!

Actually, that is exactly hearsay. Although, in this case, reasonably credible.

We have a card (Tom Tom). I guess I have to buy map updates unless they're free. That said I haven't updated it since like 2014. Could not find a location probably 3-4 times since then. Not really a priority but may have to see if they still provide free updates.
Free for 3 years. I would guess your free period is ending soon and an update just came out in January. Go get it.

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/vehicle_select?language=en-US

Yea...Reminds me of people complaining about not getting a phone update. Then they get it and they're all like "That's it?!?". Niether are all that awesome and both are restrictive about what you can run. I'm glad car companies still make thier own systems.

Last edited:
I just got another car that has carplay and it sucks, no features at all, cant use waze or google maps. im now planning to order navtool form navtool.com

That's because Car Play is Apple's bid to control infotainment and Google is their main competitor, and Google Maps and Waze are Google's killer apps. Apple did this before when they released iOS 6. But even Apple Maps is better than any car nav system and you get Siri.

Note that Waze still isn't available on Android Auto because the Waze people are working out deals about how much data they can collect.

I doubt that's the reason Waze isn't available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back