Michelin Premier LTX 225/55/19 in stores this June!!!

Actually there is V rated Yokohama Geolandar G055 which is at the same price range as Yokohama YK580 but with longer mileage warranty. And V rated Nitto NT850+™ CUV tire, at $130+ each, should cost you less than $650 with everything.

Thanks for the info - oddly Nitto's own website for the NT850+ says "There are currently no NT850™+ tires for your 2014 Mazda CX-5. Please check back soon!"
"

I know that the 225/55/19 99V Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422's come in under $1K all up, at Costco up here in Canada. I haven't received a price from COSTCO on the Michelin Premier LTX's as of yet since they won't be released until June, but basing it on the Premier LTX 235/55/19 which come in just over $1k I would think the 225/55/19 Premier LTX's will come in right around $1k, or a tad lower, all up. If my almost worn out Toyo's can last until June they may be my first preference.

My Costco here in Arizona can't get ANY tires in 225/55/19 which I find highly annoying. I would much rather get tires there than pretty much anywhere else.

My Costco here in Arizona can't get ANY tires in 225/55/19 which I find highly annoying. I would much rather get tires there than pretty much anywhere else.

The other 225/55/19 tire that my local COSTCO carries is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, BUT, only as an H rated tire. To bad, as I really like that tire. Now they do carry the Michelin Premier LTX in 235/55/19 99V, which they told me was suitable for my CX-5 and ONLY about 3/8" wider, but, I don't want to upsize in width....I'm waiting for the 225/55/19.

Last edited:
The other 225/55/19 tire that my local COSTCO carries is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, BUT, only as an H rated tire. To bad, as I really like that tire. Now they do carry the Michelin Premier LTX in 235/55/19 99V, which they told me was suitable for my CX-5 and ONLY about 3/8" wider, but, I don't want to upsize in width....I'm waiting for the 225/55/19.
I'd be a little concerned on the maximum inflation pressure only at 44 psi on Michelin Premier LTX tires. OEM Toyo A23 V-rated tire has 51 psi too. I personally would get H-rated tires with 51 psi maximum pressure than V-rated tires with only 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

Don't forget weight distribution

Mazda says the Gross load for the car is 4674 Split over 4 tires that is 1,168.5 lb.

The OEM tires are rated at 1709 LB per tire. 1709 is bigger then 1138 so the OEM tire is OK.

1819 is also higher then 1709 so I think my new tires are OK.

But no math. What are the legal issues related to load rating?

You need to remember that the CX-5 is front heavy, approximately 57/43. so more like 133.1 on each front tire.

I'd be a little concerned on the maximum inflation pressure only at 44 psi on Michelin Premier LTX tires. OEM Toyo A23 V-rated tire has 51 psi too. I personally would get H-rated tires with 51 psi maximum pressure than V-rated tires with only 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

My guess is that the Toyo has a stiffer sidewall which would allow for it's greater maximum tire pressure. But, stiffer sidewalls also cause lower ride comfort, which I believe the Toyo's have. I keep my tire pressure very close to the recommended 36 psi, maybe stretching it to 37. So the Michelins will work just fine. I would never be pumping them up up to 44 psi!! If it was a tire made in China or Korea I might be more concerned about the safety of approaching maximum psi.

Last edited:
I was in to my local COSTCO yesterday and they contacted Michelin(Canada) to find out exactly when the Premier LTX 225/55/19 will be available. I was told that COSTCO could order them in on June 1. Now the Michelin $70 instant rebate finishes May 29, BUT, COSTCO told me they could extend it a week or two. I hope to order mine June 1 to be sure I get the rebate.

That size will not only upsize the width but the diameter of the tire as well.

Well, the Michelin Premier LTX 225/55/19 99V came in to Costco in early June and I picked mine up as soon as they arrived. I have now had them 5 months and I absolutely love them!!! The handling is every bit as good as the Toyo's and they are nice and quiet. I sure don't miss the harsher ride of the stiff-sided Toyo's. I'll do an average tread depth measurement in the next month when I switch over to my winters, but visual inspection shows no wear. So far these are a definite overall improvement on the Toyo's.

Well, the Michelin Premier LTX 225/55/19 99V came in to Costco in early June and I picked mine up as soon as they arrived. I have now had them 5 months and I absolutely love them!!! The handling is every bit as good as the Toyo's and they are nice and quiet. I sure don't miss the harsher ride of the stiff-sided Toyo's. I'll do an average tread depth measurement in the next month when I switch over to my winters, but visual inspection shows no wear. So far these are a definite overall improvement on the Toyo's.

Thanks for the update kdaug. Glad to hear you're happy with the LTX's. One question, have you noticed any change in your fuel mileage? I'm curious since the Michelin's are a LRR tire and the Toyo's aren't.

I installed a set of Premier LTX tires 2 weeks ago and then went to Texas. After 3400 miles:

They seem quieter, but mostly have a different sound, a higher whirring/whine.
They are less harsh on pavement seams and expansion joints.
They do not respond to steering inputs quite as crisply as the Toyos, but close. I'm running 40 psi.
They are excellent in moderate rain and wet roads, even shallow standing water. The road feels like is is still dry.
At first I thought I was getting a half MPG better mileage on the instantaneous mileage readout, but I think that was probably my imagination.

Thanks for the update kdaug. Glad to hear you're happy with the LTX's. One question, have you noticed any change in your fuel mileage? I'm curious since the Michelin's are a LRR tire and the Toyo's aren't.

Yes, I've seen a marginal increase in mileage, about 1-2 mpg. Not much, but enough to say these tires are a minor improvement on the Toyo's, and what you might expect from a LRR tire. Contrary to ColtX-5's comments above I find these tires every bit as responsive in steering as the Toyo's. I run 37psi(1 psi above the recommended psi for my 19" tires). Now, I have just noticed for the first time today a slight whine, as per ColtX-5's observations, but I'm not prepared to say that this noise is coming from the tires. It almost sounds like a wind noise one might hear from roof racks(which I don't have). I even though it might be an exhaust noise. I'll be doing a day trip in 2 days so will try and narrow down where this sound is coming from.

I'm having the LTXs installed today - 36k on my 2016 GT and the Toyo's are down to 2/32s - really disappointed in them. Hoping to have better luck with these. There is currently a $70 mail in rebate with them going on.

I've had the Premier LTX's on mine since it was new(16.5) However-mine are 18's vs. factory 17"(touring model). Absolutely love the Michelin's. I have nothing to compare them with as I never drove my CX-5 with the 17" touring rims/tires. But the Michelin's are a great tire so far. Currently at 7k and still look brand new!

Why? The tire's load rating is it's load rating, whether that occurs at 35 psi, 41 psi or 51 psi. Same for speed ratings. If the replacement tire equals the load rating of the OEM tire, the max allowable pressure is irrelevant.

........................................ I know an H rating vs a V rating is no problem in reality, but a lawyer would latch on to that if you were in an accident.

As would good opposing counsel, asking when, and how, a CX-5 could EVER approach 130 MPH sustained speed, never mind 149. Since the highest speed limit I know of is 85 MPH, in west TX, having a tire safe at 149 MPH sustained speed is ludicrous.

I agree, in practical terms, either speed rating is excessive.

Back