LEDs for CX-5?

Or you can do what I did with my Speed3. Upgrade the fogs/lows/highs with HID projectors. Had 55 watt highs. Kinda like landing lights. No way could you out run the illumination.

Hi,

I could not find anything negative, but is H9 conversion safe for the wires and headlight housing in cx-5?

Well if you look above, BambooBen said they melted parts in the assembly. yikes.

I was thinking more about it, and who knows, maybe the sockets in the CX5 can handle the higher temps compared to my old ford ranger.
They might since maybe newer stock bulbs run hotter than the ones ford would have been using in 2001.

Came across this thread today after searching for info related to possibility of replacing DRL bulbs with LEDs on our 2016.5 Touring. I have a 20 year old Porsche 911 that I replaced all exterior and interior bulbs with LEDs (except headlights), and it made a world of difference. Not only are they brighter and whiter (I chose 4700k to avoid the harsh blue look), but they draw a fraction of the power. FWIW, there are great HID conversion kits for the Porsche that simply require replacement of the old halogen bulb with a ballast and Xenon bulb within the existing headlight housing. So is surprises me if similar conversion kits can't be obtained for the CX 5, which is produced in much higher quantities.
My current desire is to replace the yellow/dull DRL bulbs with suitable LED bulbs for a cleaner and brighter look. Curious if anyone has found such replacement bulbs, and if so, where.

yes, why Mazda couldn't at least have included HID as standard equip, is beyond me. Halogen should be outlawed by the Fed agency and HID standard by now.

I dunno, I honestly don't have any issue with my CX-5's lighting. It's done well enough for me.

No, No, with a side of No.

LEDs like this throw light sideways, while halogen bulbs give light in almost all directions.....so, the headlight system is designed FOR halogen bulbs, NOT directional LEDs. Some people try and throw in HID bulbs into halogen projectors....with mixed results.

What you can try and do, if you are handy, is retrofit the halogen projectors with HID projectors (or hell, even LED projectors if you can afford that....)
A lot of times, it simply means opening the headlight, un-bolting the old projector, and puttign in the new one. Sometimes you have to get/make brackets, or full cutting/JBWelding the new system in. I did this for my Honda Fit years ago (halogen reflector headlights), and holy hell, the simple quick retro using the MH1 35w HID projectors were night and day!!!!!

Check out some stuff at www.theretrofitsource.com (TRS) and a FB group called Headlight Junkies. They are both a world of knowledge when doing this. Just for the love of hell, NEVER ask if LED bulbs can be put into other headlights...they will eat you alive. ;)

Looks like TRS sells LED bulbs now for use in headlights. Do you now approve of them all of a sudden?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/2stroke-h11-led.html#.V3ZnzvT3aJI

Looks like TRS sells LED bulbs now for use in headlights. Do you now approve of them all of a sudden?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/2stroke-h11-led.html#.V3ZnzvT3aJI

The best selling aftermarket LED Headlight on Amazon utilizes Cree parts. 18% of its reviews fall between 1-3 stars. Who knows what the 5-star reviewers encountered after posting their reviews. Can't rely on some guy installing it then after 1 day posting a 5 star review.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

TRS is a good vendor however the aftermarket LED headlight tech is not there yet in terms of reliability. TRS's Morimoto versions are too new to review. People have to understand that although LEDs are energy efficient and produce low heat, in a headlight application the components associated generate a lot of heat hence why aftermarket LEDs headlights require cooling fans. Even halogens don't require cooling fans. HIDs run the coolest. Can't compare OEM $1000+ LEDs systems with $120 aftermarket LED kits. At least not right now. I'd caution not to be a guinea pig to fund the ongoing R&D with aftermarket companies. I'd rather get good quality aftermarket HID kits that have been tried/tested. This is an added incentive in getting LED headlights when purchasing a new Mazda. Could care less about the Bose or sunroof but the HIDS/LEDs are one of the primary selling points for me.

The best selling aftermarket LED Headlight on Amazon utilizes Cree parts. 18% of its reviews fall between 1-3 stars. Who knows what the 5-star reviewers encountered after posting their reviews. Can't rely on some guy installing it then after 1 day posting a 5 star review.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

TRS is a good vendor however the aftermarket LED headlight tech is not there yet in terms of reliability. TRS's Morimoto versions are too new to review. People have to understand that although LEDs are energy efficient and produce low heat, in a headlight application the components associated generate a lot of heat hence why aftermarket LEDs headlights require cooling fans. Even halogens don't require cooling fans. HIDs run the coolest. Can't compare OEM $1000+ LEDs systems with $120 aftermarket LED kits. At least not right now. I'd caution not to be a guinea pig to fund the ongoing R&D with aftermarket companies. I'd rather get good quality aftermarket HID kits that have been tried/tested. This is an added incentive in getting LED headlights when purchasing a new Mazda. Could care less about the Bose or sunroof but the HIDS/LEDs are one of the primary selling points for me.

Extremely helpful information. I may just consider riding this CX-5 out for the next 5 or so years, and then upgrade to a MDX or Q5. Installing HIDs seem like too much of a hassle.

Extremely helpful information. I may just consider riding this CX-5 out for the next 5 or so years, and then upgrade to a MDX or Q5. Installing HIDs seem like too much of a hassle.

One option which I've done in the past is to purchase a kit online then just hire someone to install it for me. I looked for local people advertising HID installs on craigslist. I had no interest in their kits but I wanted to hire their "skill set". It was later that I learned the install is not really hard (no soldering, multimeter testing, ect.). Literally plug and play. Paid a guy like $40 to install a kit in a BMW. Took about 25 minutes. Had it in the bimmer for 7 years before I traded it in.

Back