• 2021 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

• 2024 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

• Total voters
Mine died. 2015 with 24,000 miles.

Just wondering. You joined the forum yesterday and posted 3 posts all about the transmission failing. Did you just join the forum yesterday to just report the transmission failure? How did you find the forum?

It just seems strange to me. No hate, just asking.

Just wondering. You joined the forum yesterday and posted 3 posts all about the transmission failing. Did you just join the forum yesterday to just report the transmission failure? How did you find the forum?

No problem. I've been here before but never registered. I registered simply to report my problem because when I go to buy a car I generally try to find a forum like this and see what people are saying.

It's really more a post for future people like myself who do the same.

No problem. I've been here before but never registered. I registered simply to report my problem because when I go to buy a car I generally try to find a forum like this and see what people are saying.

It's really more a post for future people like myself who do the same.

So Mazda is replacing the trans free of charge. When they finish the work, can you post the print out they give? I would be curious to see what it states. Just block out your private info but post the work part of the invoice.

So Mazda is replacing the trans free of charge. When they finish the work, can you post the print out they give? I would be curious to see what it states. Just block out your private info but post the work part of the invoice.

They replaced it under warranty. However, I can't post the print out because I traded it in while it was still at the dealer.

I will future-proof this poll as well a few years out as well. If your CX-5 transmission was replaced by your dealer report it here. I have no issues with mine but occasional threads pop up so lets see some numbers.

Responses are public.

I don't understand this poll. The 99% + of us that have had zero issues with our transmissions can't participate?

Most people who report serious problems have very low post counts, many have zero posts except for their complaint.

Added the following poll choice as requested..."Transmission has been reliable with no problems"

Is there a minimum mileage (e.g. your car should have at least 10K miles) in order to select this new choice? What's the median or mean miles of all the failures so far, can we use that as a threshold? Otherwise, it makes no sense to vote when my car has only 2K on it.

My intent was to show problem was overblown..but also to identify if there were years more prone to issues over others. Given limited parameters here...I would either abstain from voting or post a follow up post indicating a problem occurred later on.

Ours has been flawless. Without exception it's the best automatic I've ever driven! (thumb)

This thread and poll are totally valid and I appreciate OP and his intent. I would like to watch these numbers as I'm a brand new 2016.5 CX-5 owner. I'm not worried but in my opinion there will always be a certain percentage of failures off of any assembly line. With how complex these transmissions are some failures should be expected. This type of info usually doesn't make it to public but I'm almost certain Mazda has a number for how many failures per 100,000 (or whatever#) are made. Any good manufacturing facility will know this data and always try to improve it. Just my 2 cents and I'm obsessed with my new CX-5.

(deadhorseDontchya' think this is kind of like beating a dead horse Kedis? I know you're obsessed with potential mechanical failure/reliability, but you read this forum as much as anyone. How many reports of transmission replacement have you seen here?

My 2014 has been trouble free, but I've under 30k on it still yet! While it's nice to see only single unit failures in each year (as of this posting) I would like to see much larger numbers on the trouble free bar, but then I do keep it in mind that those with no "beef" have no need to "moo".

Maybe for OP and OP's circumstances the issue should be a dead horse but for all the rest of us with similar nagging doubts (especially those of us who've been burned with expensive repairs in the past) it's good to see polls like this.

The transmission on our 2016 CX-5 was replaced, but I wouldn't say it "failed". When I read "failed", I think stranded on the side of the road; that was not the case on our CX-5. The transmission on our CX-5 had issues with lurching when going from Reverse to Drive, which didn't happen often and I had trouble replicating. The dealership techs were able to replicate it though and tracked it down to an issue with the transmission, so the transmission was replaced under warranty.

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

The transmission on our 2016 CX-5 was replaced, but I wouldn't say it "failed". When I read "failed", I think stranded on the side of the road; that was not the case on our CX-5. The transmission on our CX-5 had issues with lurching when going from Reverse to Drive, which didn't happen often and I had trouble replicating. The dealership techs were able to replicate it though and tracked it down to an issue with the transmission, so the transmission was replaced under warranty.
Thanks for the info. Most "failed" transmission from 2016 were having the same symptom like yours. Your Mazda dealer is nice enough not trying to give you excuses for the transmission problem. Which Mazda dealer did you work with?

Thanks for the info. Most "failed" transmission from 2016 were having the same symptom like yours. Your Mazda dealer is nice enough not trying to give you excuses for the transmission problem. Which Mazda dealer did you work with?
I take my cars to Hiley Mazda in Arlington. I have a very good relationship with the service department at that dealership.

At times I want to try other people's CX-5 to see how their transmission shifts. I'm starting to wonder if my transmission is "slipping" of some sort; not sure how to describe it. I can feel most of the shifts from the first 5 gears; only when the car shifts from 5th to 6th, it's smooth/not noticeable; but every other gear shift is quite noticeable and feels like there's a little delay. The car is at ~38000 miles

Back