• 2023 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2024 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I will future-proof this poll as well a few years out as well. If your CX-5 transmission was replaced by your dealer report it here. I have no issues with mine but occasional threads pop up so lets see some numbers.

Responses are public.

Other transmission discussion threads:

Last edited:
(deadhorseDontchya' think this is kind of like beating a dead horse Kedis? I know you're obsessed with potential mechanical failure/reliability, but you read this forum as much as anyone. How many reports of transmission replacement have you seen here?

Failed - being totally replaced now.

2016 GT AWD w/Tech
MFG date - 5/15
8 months old
10,900 miles

Probably true... I guess if nothing else we can link back to this poll with the very few reported failures to support stance that issues are few and far between....

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

(deadhorseDontchya' think this is kind of like beating a dead horse Kedis? I know you're obsessed with potential mechanical failure/reliability, but you read this forum as much as anyone. How many reports of transmission replacement have you seen here?
I collected many transmission replacement reports since last November for you from this CX-5 community alone. And these are only from 2016 Mazda CX-5's (one Mazda6) and all of them seemed starting with shift delay without warning:

Registered here today after researching transmission failures for this car. Mine is a 2016 Touring with approximately 700 miles. Currently in shop waiting for a new transmission to be shipped. Many of these posts describe what happened to my car. Warning lights coming on and loss of power. I'm reporting this to Mazda and NTSB
The dealer left me a voice message saying that I need a new transmission, and that one is already on order. But because of the holidays this week they don't think my car will be done until next Wed. at best. They said it's a two-day job.
Finally got a chance to bring it to the dealership. Guy sat in it and change the gears a few times and decided to give me a rental car. Got a call a few hours later saying they will be replacing to transmission next week. Only had 2500 miles on it. (headshake
Got her into the dealership this morning. After a quick demonstration in the parking lot I waited for about a half hour while they hooked it up for a quick reading. New transmission was being authorized as I left with a loaner. So no hoops. Not pleased with needing such a major component this quickly but at least they're doing the right thing in getting it taken care of. I forgot to note the serial number but if it's listed on the paperwork I'll post it here.
I'm facing the same problem, I have Mazda 6 2016 and just completed 1500 KM then I find this problem ins transmission when shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response about 5 sec or more.
Today I drop the car to the dealer and I will leave the car their for couple of days then let see what they will update me.
Hi guys this is my first post as this is my 1st problem with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at only 5,500 miles my transmission got stuck in 1st gear car have been in the dealer for a week as they didn't have the transmission on stock and needed to wait for mazda to send one, my questions are: Anyone else with a similar problem? How common are for this transmission to just fail at low miles? Should I just try to get out of this lease?
Mine went in today and yep, fill transmission replacement.
Add me to the list.

To me, the poll assumes that this is a wide-spread problem. Shouldn't there be an option of "My transmission has not failed."?

Unfortunately poll edits are locked out so cannot add a "no-issue" to poll.

I am really not seeing widespread issues with these transmissions being reported and feel unit is quite reliable overall. Other automakers have some significant AT issues that are easily found when searching. I am sensitive to the issue though as I have been bit by AT failures in other makes throughout my life.

The only Mazda in my past that had an AT failure was in the '87 626 that my parents bought new. It was the first year of Mazda's electronically controlled AT and it failed within the first year of ownership. It was replaced under warranty and never failed again in over 20 years & 200K+ miles of ownership.

Went to the nhtsa website. 17 power train complaints on the 2016 CX-5, 43 total complaints. In comparison 2 total complaints 2016 rv-4.

Having said that 4000 miles on mine and I still love itAT still performing perfectly and been the most trouble free new car I've ever bought.

Last edited:
Where is the DID NOT FAIL in the poll? It is a meanness poll and it is statically useless without the additional input. If 30 report full replacement and Mazda sold 1,25,000 vehicles with that AT+
then the percentage of failures is 0.002%.

I shot a PM off to Antoine to see if there was a way he could modify poll as an admin.. no end user options for me to change.

Where is the DID NOT FAIL in the poll? It is a meanness poll and it is statically useless without the additional input. If 30 report full replacement and Mazda sold 1,25,000 vehicles with that AT+
then the percentage of failures is 0.002%.
Yep, had my replaced at a total shock to me @ around 31k miles. No failure, just reported a weird noise and they put new one in. Still loving the vehicle and would get another one!

Went to the nhtsa website. 17 power train complaints on the 2016 CX-5, 43 total complaints. In comparison 2 total complaints 2016 rv-4.
While that's an interesting comparison with the Rav-4, "power train complaints" tell me nothing about the nature of the problem.

Looks like 13 out of the 17 power train failures reported were transmission failures/replacements exactly as reported in this forum.

Back